Buffalo Bills could be among least covid-19 vaccinated teams

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Process said:

Absolutely ridiculous for a SB contending team. Wish McDermott would speak up more about it like Rivera and Zimmer.

We know for sure the following are not vaccinated. 

Star

Beasley

Butler

Milano

Klein

Davis

Safe to assume Poyer and Hyde are not. 

And those are just the ones we know. That's a lot of players that are expected to have a big impact that will likely be missing games at some point. 

If anything this is why Mcdermott has not been more vocal because many of our key players are not vaccinated.

At one point Allen wasn't either (there's still not 100% verification he is).

Either way it's a moot point especially if this virus continues to mutate into more contagious, vaccine resistant forms.

12 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I can’t disagree on any of it honestly, there is more misinformation out there than real information. Every meme on Facebook is believed as fact by some. 
They have access to real doctors I’d imagine they work with quite a bit and have relationships with as every football player gets dinged up. I’m sure the league and team has probably brought in very qualified individuals to discuss this with them as well. But I don’t support bashing on the players who have chosen not to do it yet. That’s my only real beef. We should have some of that directed at the league and players union. I’ve seen some “OUR season possibly being ruined” comments, but it’s the players lives and paychecks. Right or wrong the league has given them the option to choose what they believe to be best for their families. From everything I have ever seen in football is that players generally do a pretty good job policing themselves, I’m sure this is discussed behind closed doors whats at risk for all of them. Rather it be health, paychecks, Super Bowl run, they know what’s on the line here. I just don’t like blaming the players in this situation. Beasley deserved some blowback for his social media but most of these guys have kept their opinions to themselves. They deserve a little respect even if we don’t agree. 
If you got a player on DM and said “you’re pretty selfish for putting games at risk when we’re a Super Bowl contender” they probably wouldn’t be too receptive. There’s a fine line imo. 

I think another part of this whole phenomenon might be what's happened with climate change. Which I know sounds like a weird tangent but stay with me on this. For a long time there has been a pretty clear scientific consensus on the topic, but due political/lobbying opposition there has been this major push to discredit/ignore it. I think maybe that's bled out to people's views on science as a whole. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I am borderline alarmed. After the Ryan Succoup dinner incident, Bruce Arians instituted his own protocols which are more stringent than those mandated by the NFL. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32084225/bruce-arians-implementing-own-covid-19-rules-tampa-bay-buccaneers-road-trips

I think the Bills should follow suit especially given their low vaccination rates. Forget who is vaccinated and who is not. No more family outings etc. Go back to 2020 protocols.

Hmmmmm Bruce Arians.....same guy who won the SB last year???  Yeah that voice I would listen too.....sane, common sense rules there.  Minimize exposure as much as you can.....why not???

I agree with @IgotBILLStopay back to 2020 if the Bills really wanna stay healthy and have a chance......hell it is their BEST chance since a long long long time.  Why mess with it???  WHY??????

Go BILLS!!

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Well, unfortunately the virus can be passed along by people who are vaccinated, but the main problem are unvaccinated players may face is that their symptoms will be more severe if they get COVID. It’s a personal decision, I refuse to judge someone if they did or didn’t get it. I’m hoping this darn thing doesn’t mutate again.

Sadly hope all you want but the way the people are NOT getting the vax......this is where hope goes to die, the unvaxxed people.  And they are LEGION.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think another part of this whole phenomenon might be what's happened with climate change. Which I know sounds like a weird tangent but stay with me on this. For a long time there has been a pretty clear scientific consensus on the topic, but due political/lobbying opposition there has been this major push to discredit/ignore it. I think maybe that's bled out to people's views on science as a whole. 

I wouldn’t disagree. It’s hard to know what’s real anymore. It’s hard to trust anymore. Who is trying to make the world a better/safer place and who is trying to increase profits? 

• Like (+1) 1

I think what makes Buffalo at a competitive disadvantage is who may not be vaccinated. Beasley and Davis are two of our top 4 WRs. We all saw what our DL was like last year with Star. And Milano and AJ are two key LBs. Oy. If it was special teams players, we'd be having a different discussion ... if at all.

Edited by todd

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nobody on our team was vaccinated last season and we got by following the protocols fine

Unvaccinated players didn't mess up our season last year

If it's not in the contract they probably can't do that

Uhhhhhhh hows about....never mind but a certain player was responsible for certain players not playing a game last year that woulda made a difference.....just saying.

1 hour ago, Process said:

Absolutely ridiculous for a SB contending team. Wish McDermott would speak up more about it like Rivera and Zimmer.

We know for sure the following are not vaccinated. 

Star

Beasley

Butler

Milano

Klein

Davis

Safe to assume Poyer and Hyde are not. 

And those are just the ones we know. That's a lot of players that are expected to have a big impact that will likely be missing games at some point. 

How often does Sean McDermott drag his players in the media for anything?

It’s not really his style. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am making an inference about Allen and Boettger because usually when someone is asked whether they're jabbed, if they say "I'm going to keep that private", they mean "No"; if they are, they just say so.

Even more happy to have Mitch as a viable back-up now too in that case. Assuming Mitch himself is vaccinated. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The bills isolated themselves fine last year.. if they did the same exact thing everything should be good.. should

If if if.....if wishes were fishes we would all be fishermen.  I seriously do not think these very strong minded individuals are going to follow a team mandated protocol.  NFL maybe but team mandated....uh no.  Too many individuals there.....not saying thats bad but look at the VAX rate....and WHO!  Accident waiting to happen.  My expectations have been decreasing by each report of who isn't vaxxed and who is restricted....it is only preseason..... McD and Beane need to lower the Boom.....I have faith they will.....but WHEN?

Go BILLS

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Beane is beyond alarmed and off into "large cold knot in the pit of his stomach"

I don't think they have to go back to the 2020 protocols exactly.

Things I would like the Bills to do:

1) Test vaccinated staff and players more often.  Daily may not be necessary but every 2-4 days, adapted for risk factors.

2) Everybody masks indoors unless 6 feet away for meals

3) Staff providing close interaction such as therapeutic massage or rehabilitation treatment mask and shield

4) Request that all staff and players ask visiting family to isolate and test first (vaccinated or not)

5) Sauna Yes, hot tub No

This still doesn’t fix the issue of being a close contact to someone who is in the building that tested positive. 

The way the protocols are set up players could be wearing full hazmat suits and you can put the team masseuse in a bubble like Seinfeld… if they’re positive and near players, those players have to sit out. 

It obviously eliminates the chance of actually spreading the virus… but it doesn’t prevent players from missing days if they were a close contact.

I’ve had to do damage control with staffing issues because we’re following pretty much identical protocols to what you laid out… it really doesn’t make a difference for availability 

This doesn’t prevent losing unvaccinated players. 

Edited by JGMcD2

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I mean we're talking about 5.8 guys unvaccinated... get that to 4 guys and were in the top half of the league rate. We're talking about a 2 guy difference, it's frustrating yes, but again TWO GUY DIFFERENCE tops. Would I love it to be 100%, yes, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

We did pretty good last year with covid, and probably had no guys vaccinated. The community is more vaccinated than last year, players families are more vaccinated than last year, all coaches are vaccinated. 

I'm gunna get 50 thumbs down reactions from emotional responses, but we're in better shape than last year, which went pretty damn smooth 🤷‍♂️

Looks like no 50 thumbs down - not even me, BUT....it is MORE than 5.8....and the 5.8?  Those are the guys who the Bills are leaning on to make it happen......just saying....why do they or the Bills need that risk?????  I was so hopeful about this season.....now not so much. I HOPE I am proven wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think some of you need to consider why you have your tummies in a knot!  Do you really really care if they are vaccinated because of a health related concern for them ?  Or is it that your a fan and concerned about winning? If you said yes to the first question you are most likely fos!

Of course a lot of it has to do with the Bills being successful.  There are other threads about the experience and impact and history of being a Bills fan, and what losing feels like, and how seeing them lose ruins someone's day, a couple days, until the next week, whatever.  I want to see everybody in the country get vaccinated so maybe we can help derail more mutations.  But yeah, the Bills players have more impact on me personally than some random Joe in a far away place, butterfly effect or not.  I also would like them to be a responsible example to the rest of the league, just as I don't want them engaging in any irresponsible behavior like driving drunk or whatever, it reflects poorly on the team and ultimately the community. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

WOW....that is an interesting take.....makes ya stop and think about it too!!!  I would have to agree on this......

Go BILLS!

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

It could go up a little maybe. I saw many people were waiting for the FDA approval. With that said, many also have had their mind made up long ago if they weren't getting it regardless. So hope that number goes up at least a little bit.

Here's the thing... if that's really what they're waiting for and now have, those players will still be at risk of falling victim to Covid protocols all the way up to the beginning of October.  Even if they get the first shot of Pfizer today, it will be 3 weeks before they get their 2nd shot and 2 more weeks before they're considered fully vaccinated.

Any player who wants to quickly rid themselves of the restrictions at this point should be looking at the one shot J & J shot... in which case they'd be fully vaccinated before the season opener.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Of the thread where it and some other posts wound up yes

Now that it's got its own place, No

Yes, at least I did the same math that @Big Turk did: 

-4 teams in the NFL are under 89%

-Beane sez the Bills are just over 80% or maybe a little less after the cuts

-Therefore the Bills are one of the 4 teams in the NFL that are under 89%

It has to be very frustrating for Beane.  I thought he kind of looked defeated, in that press conference.

Apparently one of the 4 lowest in the league at ~79-80% and going to get lower when we're cut down to 53

It's not just the % it's apparently who that % is: Butler, Lotulelei, Poyer, Boettger, Beasley, Davis, probably Allen - a lot of core starters.

Josh is vaccinated.  Pegulas are not giving 150 million guaranteed to a unvaccinated player.  No way, no how, forget about it!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

This still doesn’t fix the issue of being a close contact to someone who is in the building that tested positive. 

The way the protocols are set up players could be wearing full hazmat suits and you can put the team masseuse in a bubble like Seinfeld… if they’re positive and near players, those players have to sit out. 

Respectfully, I don't think that is true.  At least last season, when the NFL interviewing process was explained during an interview with Beane, he explained that the NFL asks questions about the duration of the contact, were they both wearing masks or other protective equipment, how close were they etc etc.

It's widely recognized that a contact with someone who is masked and shielded is far less risky than a contact with someone who is not wearing PPE, as you point out:

17 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It obviously eliminates the chance of actually spreading the virus…

but the NFL seemed to recognize this, at least last year.  Or at least that's my recollection of a post-season interview with Beane about the process of ID'ing close contacts.

13 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’ve had to do damage control with staffing issues because we’re following pretty much identical protocols to what you laid out… it really doesn’t make a difference for availability

I feel your pain, and I understand the but that would be a function of the protocols your league is following; at least last year I don't think the same was true for the NFL.

But even if it does, it's still a point that sitting out  5 days due to close contact for an unvaccinated player, is still less lost time than actually catching the virus and having to follow the protocols for unvaccinated covid-positive players.

2 minutes ago, tuckan said:

Josh is vaccinated.  Pegulas are not giving 150 million guaranteed to a unvaccinated player.  No way, no how, forget about it!

I hope you are correct, but I would not bet the rent money.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Captain Caveman said:

I had read earlier that teams below 80% vaccination would have different rules re: team meetings, etc...

Does anyone know if that's still the case, and if so is the 80% including practice squad players or just 53 man roster?

That was something bruited about early on, but my understanding is that the NFL abandoned that in favor of different rules for vaxxed and unvaxxed players.

@YoloinOhio, can you help me out here?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was something bruited about early on, but my understanding is that the NFL abandoned that in favor of different rules for vaxxed and unvaxxed players.

@YoloinOhio, can you help me out here?

It is not the case - nflpa president put out a Q&A recently. Sounds like it was never seriously on the table

https://nflpa.com/posts/clearing-up-the-facts-on-our-covid-protocols