Buffalo Bills could be among least covid-19 vaccinated teams

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They can not do that. 

The NFL players are represented by a union, and any change to their conditions of employment must be collectively bargained with the union.  There was an opt-out date which is passed; any change at this point would be unlikely.

That's the way it is.

That was last year, this is this year.

Protocols are different.

Behavior of virus is different

I believe that the NFL will make changes, I'm just unclear that they will do so in a timely fashion vs. AFTER 1-2 teams have outbreaks.

They made changes last year, but it was AFTER outbreaks.

If the bills follow the same protocols that they did last year they should be fine

Vaccinated players have gotten covid so everybody's at some risk  

The bills isolated themselves fine last year.. if they did the same exact thing everything should be good.. should

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

If the bills follow the same protocols that they did last year they should be fine

Vaccinated players have gotten covid so everybody's at some risk  

The bills isolated themselves fine last year.. if they did the same exact thing everything should be good.. should

If the Bills do what Arians has said the Bucs will do, and voluntarily follow more stringent team rules vs. the NFL protocols, I agree with you.

I don't know if the Bills players and personnel are going to be asked do that, or to agree to do that.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

You just have To get the team to voluntarily agree

That might be harder than one thinks.  For example, players who got vaccinated in part because they didn't want to drive to the facility and get a swab stuck in their nose first thing every day, or because they want to be able to walk around the locker room unmasked, may not want to voluntarily revert to last year's rules.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They can not do that. 

The NFL players are represented by a union, and any change to their conditions of employment must be collectively bargained with the union.  There was an opt-out date which is passed; any change at this point would be unlikely.

That's the way it is.

It would be nice if the union gets some guts and points out how unvaccinated players could cost vaccinated players game checks.  I won't comment any further.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s the players careers here. They have access to some of the best doctors in the world and unlimited information on this stuff. If we have guys who feel this strongly still not to participate in the vaccine yet, you should point some of your anger at the league and players union. 
I can see some posters already turning  this thread off the rails venturing into non football stuff. 
But I find it concerning seeing players labeled as selfish among other things and the concern over games missed, it’s not our lives. We all get to make our own choices and that should be respected. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Maybe an unvaccinated player will spend double that, but then again, these kids are healthy and we’re talking about the top 1% quartile of the population so chances are if they do get sick, it’s probably not going to be anywhere near as bad as your average Joe, and it won’t be anywhere near a life threatening situation for them.

Dion Dawkins says hi.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9

I respect personal choice and all, but all I can do is shake my head at this point, especially after Dion and Tommy's experiences and the Pfizer approval.  It will be sad if losing one (or more) of these guys at the wrong time submarines our season.  And beyond that, I hope these guys stay safe and don't find themselves really ill and in the hospital.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

80+% is a low percentage? 

40% would be low

It depends on who the players are.

If there are 90 people on the roster and we're at 80%... that means something like 17ish players are unvaccinated.

If those players are mostly players we're going to cut in final cutdowns it doesn't much matter.  But if those players are all guys on the 53, that becomes 32% of our team being unvaccinated and could have a serious impact.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s the players careers here. They have access to some of the best doctors in the world and unlimited information on this stuff. If we have guys who feel this strongly still not to participate in the vaccine yet, you should point some of your anger at the league and players union. 
I can see some posters already turning  this thread off the rails venturing into non football stuff. 
But I find it concerning seeing players labeled as selfish among other things and the concern over games missed, it’s not our lives. We all get to make our own choices and that should be respected. 

To keep this football relevant, I would like to quote Ron Rivera here:

image.thumb.png.979291351f384d5af1dab3d9e7ead3cb.png

The problem is, if the subset of the unlimited information players most trust is misinformation obtained from social media, they're going to make decisions that aren't good decisions.  I've actually had DM discussions with two different (starting) Bills players about how to distinguish misinformation or conspiracy stuff from good information on social media.   I doubt I persuaded anyone, but they were very polite and respectful discussions and maybe I left a little seed.

They are (IMO) smart men who are trying to be informed, but who mistrust "main stream media" and tend to rely on podcasts and youtube and social media for their info, as Ron Rivera said.  The problem is once you get away from media that is required to have 2 vetted primary sources for everything and does fact-checking, there is a lot of misleading information or even lies that are cleverly packaged to sound very plausible - unless a person happens to have specific expertise in a relevant field.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I mean we're talking about 5.8 guys unvaccinated... get that to 4 guys and were in the top half of the league rate. We're talking about a 2 guy difference, it's frustrating yes, but again TWO GUY DIFFERENCE tops. Would I love it to be 100%, yes, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

We did pretty good last year with covid, and probably had no guys vaccinated. The community is more vaccinated than last year, players families are more vaccinated than last year, all coaches are vaccinated. 

I'm gunna get 50 thumbs down reactions from emotional responses, but we're in better shape than last year, which went pretty damn smooth 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

The choice Dion made hurt himself, not someone else.

What choice did he make tho? If I remember the reporting correctly he said he was vaccinated but not outside of the two week post vax timeframe where people are still susceptible 

Actually he did say he was vaccinated and did so for his wife and child but still got hit hard

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/08/19/buffalo-bills-dion-dawkins-describes-scary-covid-19-bout/amp/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I mean we're talking about 5.8 guys unvaccinated... get that to 4 guys and were in the top half of the league rate. We're talking about a 2 guy difference, it's frustrating yes, but again TWO GUY DIFFERENCE tops. Would I love it to be 100%, yes, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

We did pretty good last year with covid, and probably had no guys vaccinated. The community is more vaccinated than last year, players families are more vaccinated than last year, all coaches are vaccinated. 

I'm gunna get 50 thumbs down reactions from emotional responses, but we're in better shape than last year, which went pretty damn smooth 🤷‍♂️

I don't understand your math.

Roster is currently at 80 players.

If we are just under 80% now as Beane said in his presser, 20% of 80 is 16 players.

Now, who are those 16 players?  If they are guys who will likely be on the 53-man roster, the % vaccinated will be (53-16)/53 = 69.8%.

As @transplantbillsfan said above "If those players are mostly players we're going to cut in final cutdowns it doesn't much matter.  But if those players are all guys on the 53, that ....... could have a serious impact."

To get to the 90% level, we would need to have only 5 players unvaccinated, so 11 more players would have to decide to be vaccinated.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To keep this football relevant, I would like to quote Ron Rivera here:

image.thumb.png.979291351f384d5af1dab3d9e7ead3cb.png

The problem is, if the subset of the unlimited information players most trust is misinformation obtained from social media, they're going to make decisions that aren't good decisions.  I've actually had DM discussions with two different (starting) Bills players about how to distinguish misinformation or conspiracy stuff from good information on social media.   I doubt I persuaded anyone, but they were very polite and respectful discussions and maybe I left a little seed.

They are (IMO) smart men who are trying to be informed, but who mistrust "main stream media" and tend to rely on podcasts and youtube and social media for their info, as Ron Rivera said.  The problem is once you get away from media that is required to have 2 vetted primary sources for everything and does fact-checking, there is a lot of misleading information or even lies that are cleverly packaged to sound very plausible - unless a person happens to have specific expertise in a relevant field.

I can’t disagree on any of it honestly, there is more misinformation out there than real information. Every meme on Facebook is believed as fact by some. 
They have access to real doctors I’d imagine they work with quite a bit and have relationships with as every football player gets dinged up. I’m sure the league and team has probably brought in very qualified individuals to discuss this with them as well. But I don’t support bashing on the players who have chosen not to do it yet. That’s my only real beef. We should have some of that directed at the league and players union. I’ve seen some “OUR season possibly being ruined” comments, but it’s the players lives and paychecks. Right or wrong the league has given them the option to choose what they believe to be best for their families. From everything I have ever seen in football is that players generally do a pretty good job policing themselves, I’m sure this is discussed behind closed doors whats at risk for all of them. Rather it be health, paychecks, Super Bowl run, they know what’s on the line here. I just don’t like blaming the players in this situation. Beasley deserved some blowback for his social media but most of these guys have kept their opinions to themselves. They deserve a little respect even if we don’t agree. 
If you got a player on DM and said “you’re pretty selfish for putting games at risk when we’re a Super Bowl contender” they probably wouldn’t be too receptive. There’s a fine line imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1