Buffalo Bills could be among least covid-19 vaccinated teams

Big Turk

This is what I dont get.

Football is considered the ultimate team game.  Where players are all for one and one for all.

You hear players say "I'd run through a brick wall for my teammates".

And today we have a Bills team that is a championship competitor for the first time this century.

Yet a few key players are too stubborn to get vaccinated.

I dont know these guys personally, but I'm pretty sure its shear stubborness.  Supported by rampant misinformation.

For  these guys who have kids, are their kids vaccinated against diptheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, Hib, etc?  I'm betting yes.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If the bills follow the same protocols that they did last year they should be fine

Vaccinated players have gotten covid so everybody's at some risk  

The bills isolated themselves fine last year.. if they did the same exact thing everything should be good.. should

While I would like to think this to be true for the unvaccinated players, it ignores the fact that Delta variant is more contagious than the version of COVID we were dealing with last year. On the plus side, most players are vaccinated now and none were last year. Doing everything the same as last year should be the starting point for the unvaccinated if the team wants to stay intact through the season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Butler, Lotulelei, Beasley, and Davis are not vaccinated (or not fully vaccinated yet) because they are following the NFL's protocol for unvaccinated players who have close contact with a positive case.

I am making a high probability assumption about Poyer because of his wife's outspoken views and also because of a DM exchange I had with him on Instagram (all very polite and civilized disagreement, very nice guy).

I am making an inference about Allen and Boettger because usually when someone is asked whether they're jabbed, if they say "I'm going to keep that private", they mean "No"; if they are, they just say so.

I think Allen might be vaccinated.

The reason I think that is due to the 1st press conference of training camp that Allen + Beasley did.

Beasley was wearing a mask and a red wristband.

Allen had no mask and a blue wristband.

NFL covid protocol rules said unvaccinated have to wear masks and for teams to use different colored wristbands to designate vaccinated + unvaccinated players. Since we know for sure Beasley is unvaccinated, and was wearing a red wristband, my assumption seeing Allen in a blue one is that (hopefully) he’s vaccinated. 🤞

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The reason I think that is due to the 1st press conference of training camp that Allen + Beasley did.

NFL covid protocol rules said unvaccinated have to wear masks and for teams to use different colored wristbands to designate vaccinated + unvaccinated players. Since we know for sure Beasley is unvaccinated, and was wearing a red wristband, my assumption seeing Allen in a blue one is that (hopefully) he’s vaccinated. 🤞

Oh, GOOD catch!  I hope you're right.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Of the thread where it and some other posts wound up yes

Now that it's got its own place, No

Yes, at least I did the same math that @Big Turk did: 

-4 teams in the NFL are under 89%

-Beane sez the Bills are just over 80% or maybe a little less after the cuts

-Therefore the Bills are one of the 4 teams in the NFL that are under 89%

It has to be very frustrating for Beane.  I thought he kind of looked defeated, in that press conference.

Apparently one of the 4 lowest in the league at ~79-80% and going to get lower when we're cut down to 53

It's not just the % it's apparently who that % is: Butler, Lotulelei, Poyer, Boettger, Beasley, Davis, probably Allen - a lot of core starters.

This is what depresses me the most. And it's all so unnecessary. 

And yes, Beane looked and sounded defeated in the press conference. I don't blame him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Didn't notice that. Good eye. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nobody on our team was vaccinated last season and we got by following the protocols fine

Unvaccinated players didn't mess up our season last year

If it's not in the contract they probably can't do that

There Arent near the procautions of last season. Because, you know, we have a vaccine. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

This is what depresses me the most. And it's all so unnecessary. 

And yes, Beane looked and sounded defeated in the press conference. I don't blame him. 

I've seen multiple references to the Beane press conference where he discusses our current vaccination status.  Can someone please link to the press conference?  Thanks so much!

I’m kind of shocked the owners aren’t pushing harder for mandatory vaccinations. A lot of employers around the country are heading in that direction if they haven’t already done so and 99.99% of them don’t pay their employees anywhere near what NFL owners pay their employees.  And that doesn’t even take into account the much higher risk of unvaccinated players not being available to play.  Crazy that owners aren’t making this a bigger issue.  

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

While I would like to think this to be true for the unvaccinated players, it ignores the fact that Delta variant is more contagious than the version of COVID we were dealing with last year. On the plus side, most players are vaccinated now and none were last year. Doing everything the same as last year should be the starting point for the unvaccinated if the team wants to stay intact through the season. 

I was just reading that Bruce Arians has his own protocols when the team is on the road, for both vaxxed and unvaxxed. They are much tighter than any league rules and the team is bought in. He tells them it takes sacrifices to win championships. They are focused on a mission and are committed. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I'd be for this IF the NFL agreed that all testing and close contact rules were dropped. Meaning, if every NFL player is vaxxed, then all the covid rules dissappear permanently. Bet more players would agree to that 

Aren't they in place more for the unvaccinated ones anyway? I mean if every single player was vaccinated what covid rules would there be? I guess they would still test sometimes. 

I do hope we see some movement quickly with some of the players who have been waiting or holding out. It really could cost the team a win if they were unavailable to play or worst yet had to miss multiple games. The one enigma to me is Star. He opted to sit out last year but then doesn’t get vaccinated. Having a hard time understanding that rationale.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I was just reading that Bruce Arians has his own protocols when the team is on the road, for both vaxxed and unvaxxed. They are much tighter than any league rules and the team is bought in. He tells them it takes sacrifices to win championships. They are focused on a mission and are committed. 

I saw that.

Gotta say its disappointing that the Bills dont have the same buy in and focus.

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

80+% is a low percentage? 

40% would be low

In the lowest four teams of the league is absolutely low. 

If I were vaccinated on that team I would be angry.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I saw that.

Gotta say its disappointing that the Bills dont have the same buy in and focus.

To be fair, the Bucs just had a huge "wake up call" in the form of their kicker testing positive for Covid-19 and going on Covid-19 reserve after joint practice with the Titans (his former team) where he socialized with a bunch of friends on the Titans.

It is possible that the loss of Cole/Davis/Butler/Lotulelei will serve as a similar wakeup call to the Bills and provoke change.

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

In the lowest four teams of the league is absolutely low. 

And again, the key number here is 85% for freedom once camp starts. The Bills will be among only four teams that have far more restrictions at training camp because they didn't hit the 85% threshold.

If I were vaccinated on that team I would be angry.

Agree "lowest 4 teams in the league" is low.

The 85% number has been debunked; please see Yolo's post above.  But that doesn't mean the Bills won't still have more restrictions that impact player availability, just in the form of unvaccinated players who currently face more stringent quarantines if exposed or isolations if infected.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, the Bucs just had a huge "wake up call" in the form of their kicker testing positive for Covid-19 and going on Covid-19 reserve after joint practice with the Titans (his former team) where he socialized with a bunch of friends on the Titans.

It is possible that the loss of Cole/Davis/Butler/Lotulelei will serve as a similar wakeup call to the Bills and provoke change.

Agree "lowest 4 teams in the league" is low.

The 85% number has been debunked; please see Yolo's post above.  But that doesn't mean the Bills won't still have more restrictions that impact player availability, just in the form of unvaccinated players who currently face more stringent quarantines if exposed or isolations if infected.

Erased it. Don't want to spread misinformation.

Thank you.

And yes, I'm hoping they see the five days at home as a wakeup call.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

I've waded through 5 pages before I saw someone alluding to "taking one for the team".  Players sacrifice/risk their long-term health for the short term benefit for the team.  (Ronnie Lott says "Hi").  Beasley played w/ a broken leg last yr!  Further, from what I understand, most of these players take copious amounts of pain killers, anti-inflammatories, etc yet they're reluctant to have a vaccine that like literally BILLIONS are now getting?  Seems to me, you're not being a good teammate if you're endangering your teams chance of success by not getting vaccinated.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

I've waded through 5 pages before I saw someone alluding to "taking one for the team".  Players sacrifice/risk their long-term health for the short term benefit for the team.  (Ronnie Lott says "Hi").  Beasley played w/ a broken leg last yr!  Further, from what I understand, most of these players take copious amounts of pain killers, anti-inflammatories, etc yet they're reluctant to have a vaccine that like literally BILLIONS are now getting?  Seems to me, you're not being a good teammate if you're endangering your teams chance of success by not getting vaccinated.

I"m sure a number of players did "take one for the team" or "take one for their career" (especially younger guys on the fringe) and get vaxxed

But whether or not we like it or Beane likes it, the NFLPA and NFL negotiated the covid vaccine is a choice.

It may not be logical to you or to me that a player would want to use all the stuff they use, including sometimes unproven therapies and unregulated supplements whose concentrations and ingredients may not be as claimed, then reject a vaccine that has gone through extensive pre-clinical testing, full clinical trials, has tight manufacturing controls and release testing, and now more than 200 million doses served in the US alone, but it Is what it Is.  I think from their perspective, they are being good teammates by doing what they believe best for their bodies.

I do wish some of them made different choices.  But It Is what It Is.