Buffalo Bills could be among least covid-19 vaccinated teams

Big Turk

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Butler, Lotulelei, Beasley, and Davis are not vaccinated (or not fully vaccinated yet) because they are following the NFL's protocol for unvaccinated players who have close contact with a positive case.

I am making a high probability assumption about Poyer because of his wife's outspoken views and also because of a DM exchange I had with him on Instagram (all very polite and civilized disagreement, very nice guy).

I am making an inference about Allen and Boettger because usually when someone is asked whether they're jabbed, if they say "I'm going to keep that private", they mean "No"; if they are, they just say so.

To your last point... I understand what you're saying, but I could see a legitimate reason for Allen to be vaccinated and say "I'm going to keep that private."

Obviously purely speculative, but his buddy Cole Beasley is maybe the most outspoken unvaccinated player in the league.  His other buddy Stefon Diggs is vaccinated and relatively outspoken about getting the shot.  Allen at one point chose not to get vaccinated and the perception at least was that he was "anti-vaxx" and was there for somehow in Beasley's boat... so to speak.  

If Allen chose to get vaccinated (for any number of reasons, but it really wouldn't surprise me if McDermott and Beane had a good long conversation with him over the Summer as they were working on his contract about how important it was for him to get vaccinated for the sake of availability on the team) I think he would clearly also still identify with players like Cole.

Saying "I'm going to keep that private" means you're not taking sides in a locker room that's apparently (according to the OP) one of the 4 most divided locker rooms in the league in terms of vaccination stances.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think some of you need to consider why you have your tummies in a knot!  Do you really really care if they are vaccinated because of a health related concern for them?  Or is it that your a fan and concerned about winning? If you said yes to the first question you are most likely fos!

Are you saying that anyone arguing unvaccinated players could end up costing this team critical wins is a serious concern for this team this year is wrong?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

usually when someone is asked whether they're jabbed, if they say "I'm going to keep that private", they mean "No"; if they are, they just say so

It definitely gives the impression when ppl say that for sure. That's what myself and most think when someone says, "keeping it private". Kinda implies they haven't got it or are never getting it. Although I'm sure there is some ppl that are vaccinated and say the same for whatever reason. 

I don't know why, but I'm sure it is a few that's vaccinated here and there that also say "keeping it private". In regards to Josh though, I totally 100% feel he would have made it clear he received the shot if asked.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It depends on who the players are.

If there are 90 people on the roster and we're at 80%... that means something like 17ish players are unvaccinated.

If those players are mostly players we're going to cut in final cutdowns it doesn't much matter.  But if those players are all guys on the 53, that becomes 32% of our team being unvaccinated and could have a serious impact.

I feel like almost certainly the percentage for most if not all teams is going to go down once cuts to 53 are made - guys on the fringe to me are more likely to vax to give them every edge to be in good standing (and minimize possibility of missing time) vs players who know they are on team regardless

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

With it FDA approved the NFL should just mandate current nonvaccinated players under contract should get the pfizer vaccine or you're banned for life with no pension.  I'm sick of this.

I'd be for this IF the NFL agreed that all testing and close contact rules were dropped. Meaning, if every NFL player is vaxxed, then all the covid rules dissappear permanently. Bet more players would agree to that 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

This isn't true, trainer was vaccinated by all accounts.

Vaxed or unvaxed, it really doesn't matter where the positive test comes from. If an unvaxed player was in close contact he quarantines for a mandatory 5 days.

The way things stand now it seems very likely to me that some unvaxed players will miss games this way.

Who they are and when it happens is the ?

6 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I feel like almost certainly the percentage for most if not all teams is going to go down once cuts to 53 are made - guys on the fringe to me are more likely to vax to give them every edge to be in good standing (and minimize possibility of missing time) vs players who know they are on team regardless

9 days ago the Falcons said they were the first team with 100% of its players vaccinated.  My guess is there will be more teams like that.

Those teams will not see their vaccination numbers go down unless they trade for or sign an unvaccinated player.  Those teams will almost certainly go through fewer headaches this season as it relates to Covid.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

It definitely gives the impression when ppl say that for sure. That's what myself and most think when someone says, "keeping it private". Kinda implies they haven't got it or are never getting it. Although I'm sure there is some ppl that are vaccinated and say the same for whatever reason. 

I don't know why, but I'm sure it is a few that's vaccinated here and there that also say "keeping it private". In regards to Josh though, I totally 100% feel he would have made it clear he received the shot if asked.

At first I thought that the team had gotten together and agreed to all keep it private to avoid questions about who is or isn't vaxxed, but after other players started answering questions and some spoke out on SM, I changed my viewpoint and decided that, just like in my neighborhood, it means "I'm not vaxxed and I don't want you to question me about why"

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

9 days ago the Falcons said they were the first team with 100% of its players vaccinated.  My guess is there will be more teams like that.

Those teams will not see their vaccination numbers go down unless they trade for or sign an unvaccinated player.  Those teams will almost certainly go through fewer headaches this season as it relates to Covid.

My guess is, those teams will not trade for or sign a player who isn't vaxxed.

I would love to know how they did it though.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Interesting - I did not realize anyone was at 100% 

49 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think some of you need to consider why you have your tummies in a knot!  Do you really really care if they are vaccinated because of a health related concern for them?  Or is it that your a fan and concerned about winning? If you said yes to the first question you are most likely fos!

For me it's both honestly. I'm one of those that would love to see as many vaccinated as possible to save lives and also at some point get past this crap and back to normal. 

But yeah, as a fan I also have a part that wants to have every player  available (especially big impact players) with the championship within reach

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It would be nice if the union gets some guts and points out how unvaccinated players could cost vaccinated players game checks.  I won't comment any further.

They do not point out that players breaking rules are hurting and sometimes ending career of other players.

I do not expect them to change.

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

They claimed they did including penalties but did not do everything.

The are going to play chicken until someone dies.

mfk0v.jpg

Maybe, but I'm not talking about penalties or the like.  Those are kind of "lock the barn after the horse left" stuff.

I'm talking about changes to the protocols teams were required to follow that help proactively prevent infection and limit the number of contacts, such as: requiring coaches up in the boxes to be masked and limiting their number to allow distancing; testing on Sundays; requiring trainers to wear both a mask and a face shield while providing treatment; limiting numbers in weight rooms. 

The NFL could change protocols now to accommodate the new "territory" of Delta but my guess is they won't, until one or more teams have an outbreak that is clearly not caused by any failure to follow current protocols.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

At first I thought that the team had gotten together and agreed to all keep it private to avoid questions about who is or isn't vaxxed, but after other players started answering questions and some spoke out on SM, I changed my viewpoint and decided that, just like in my neighborhood, it means "I'm not vaxxed and I don't want you to question me about why

Yup, If I'm not mistaken I thought Coach McD said they were keeping everything in-house about that or he told the players something like that. Whatever the case, I agree with you. When I ever hear a person say that when asked, it's always meant "not vaxxed, and ready to get confrontational because of being asked

• Dislike 2

55 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

by far the greatest existential threat to the success of this season.  Beane has a right to be pissed.   the f ing un vaccinated trainer took down multiple key starters, for gosh sake. 

The trainer was not unvaccinated.  All NFL personnel who have player contact (Tier 1 and Tier 2) are required to be vaccinated. 

Beane in his presser said that the vaccinated trainer "felt something" (maybe like an allergy-type sniffle) but didn't think he had Covid, "mentioned it to Nate" (Nate Breske, the Bills head trainer and the guy in charge of executing the covid protocols for the Bills), Nate sent him to be tested, and when it was positive he gave a list of his close contacts to the best of his recollection to start off the contact tracing process.

Don't make ASSumptions.  The staff did all the right things.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Vaxed or unvaxed, it really doesn't matter where the positive test comes from. If an unvaxed player was in close contact he quarantines for a mandatory 5 days.

The way things stand now it seems very likely to me that some unvaxed players will miss games this way.

Who they are and when it happens is the ?

It doesn't matter to the players who have to sit out, I was merely correcting some misinformation.  Every trainer / coach is vaxxed.

• Like (+1) 1