Travis Etienne out for the season

YoloinOhio

As I pointed out during the draft process.........Etienne had a lot of mileage on him.

*Maybe* this injury happens regardless of those 800+ college touches.......touches which produced significantly diminishing returns in his final season, btw.........but round 1 RB fans need to face this reality:

The best players on the field don't play RB anymore.   

The money has moved the stud RB athletes of yesterday the defensive side of the ball to stop the passing game..........or in some cases to WR on offense.........a guy like Etienne would have been reserve RB 25 years ago.   

What I find most perplexing is why people over-valued his speed/quickness numbers etc...........if he played CB or WR with those measurables at his size,  he might have been a late round pick or even UDFA.   Not to say he wouldn't have carved out a niche at another position but you don't put a #1 on that player anywhere but at RB.   And then the Jags moved him to WR.:doh:

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As I pointed out during the draft process.........Etienne had a lot of mileage on him.

*Maybe* this injury happens regardless of those 800+ college touches.......touches which produced significantly diminishing returns in his final season, btw.........but round 1 RB fans need to face this reality:

I thought the same thing.  His productivity (YPA) fell off a cliff in his senior season.  I didn't want the Bills anywhere near this guy in the early rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

A) I feel so bad for Etienne. I really liked him in college and hope that he will be a good pro. (even though I don't really like the Jags)

B) I feel so bad for Trevor Lawrence.  He may actually die behind that O-line.  

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

This means no Superbowl for the Jags. They were so close too 

Now with Jags out of the way looks like Houston is running away with that division title 

Edited by Putin

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Makes the pick feel even worse.  Lawrence running for his life behind that line feels like Burrows Pt2.  Shouldve drafted in the trenches to protect your prodigy childs health and confidence.  Instead they took a beat up CJ Spiller whos already had a workhorse career. 

Nobody learned from Lucks career, Burrows rookie season, Darnolds stint on NJJets and another hundred similar stories?? Sometimes i feel like this league is stupid and stubborn

Edited by BillsShredder83

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Makes the pick feel even worse.  Lawrence running for his life behind that line feels like Burrows Pt2.  Shouldve drafted in the trenches to protect your prodigy childs health and confidence.  Instead they took a beat up CJ Spiller whos already had a workhorse career. 

Nobody learned from Lucks career, Burrows rookie season, Darnolds stint on NJJets and another hundred similar stories?? Sometimes i feel like this league is stupid and stubborn

OL is overrated !! 

Edited by Putin
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Sure... 2 DE's play on any given play - sometimes more.  Both starters are 33+.  Its also a more in-demand and impactful position in terms of wins and losses. 

They also have only drafted 1 DE since McD arrived, and that was in the 7th.  Pass rushers are also expensive on their 2nd deal, so the goal being to get cheaper at that position in the next 3-4 seasons.

Epenesa was drafted in last year's 2nd round?  I think he's a DE?

So in Beane's first 3 drafts we have used

2018 3rd: Harrison Phillips (DT)

2019 1st: Ed Oliver (DT)

2019 7th: Darryl Johnson (DE)

2020 2nd: AJ Epenesa (DE)

2021 1st: Greg Rousseau (DE)

2021 2nd: Boogie Basham (DE)

That's a lot of high draft picks on DL, even given that we expect the overall hit rate to be 1 in 2 or 1 in 3. 

Let's hope it starts to pay off at some point in the future.  The VERY NEAR future.

• Like (+1) 1