Jags Thoughts

corta765

3 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Who are the four? Miami, FSU, UF, then you have USF and UCF. Or did you mean four teams other than UF?

Florida is very transient, so I agree their base there would be bandwagon fans. Does Jacksonville have many businesses/corporations headquartered there?

I think UCF falls in the “major program” category, I think USF is in next tier along with FAU, and even FIU. I don’t disagree that there are a lot of transplanted fans, I’ve been to a number of Bills, Dolphins games, while the crowd is predominantly Fins fans, there are a lot of Bills fans. Same is true of the other professional teams. The college teams have been established longer and there are way less transplanted fans of other teams.

I have no idea what corporations are headquartered in Jacksonville.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I wonder for those of you who watched the league pre-expansion do you feel this way about other expansion teams? I have wondered whether my lack of care for the Jags is because they don't have the rich history of many other teams, there are no grainy films of the Jaguars in black and white. I don't feel that way about the Texans but then I kind of see them more as the continuation of the Houston franchise than the Titans but I also don't feel that way about Carolina. It is just Jacksonville. They are just really nothingness to me and I actually know a lot of Jags fans here in London, including a couple who followed them pre-International Series, but I dunno..... they are so meh. 

Carolina at least has a history of success.  Jacksonville has yet to have a great QB (unless you count Mark Brunell), make the super bowl, or be consistently good (once again, unless you count the Mark Brunell years as being "good").  Even if you count the Brunell years as being good... it's been more or less 20 years since you've been able to string together consecutive good seasons.  You pair that with being in a small city and it is a recipe for apathy from everyone outside of Jacksonville. 

However, with that being said.. I think Lawrence is good enough that he may end up forcing people to start caring about Jacksonville.  Drafting him could be a real turning point for them

Edited by berg1029

I know I'm not alone in thinking this, but...

I have zero faith in Urban Meyer to be a good NFL head coach. Zero.

I think he's gonna be much more Steve Spurrier than Jimmy Johnson.

I felt this way from the beginning, but then the way they handled the draft -- Meyer openly admitting they wanted Kadarius Toney instead of Etienne, using a 1st round pick on a running back after James Robinson had a good year and considering other positional needs, putting said running back at wide receiver in camp -- confirmed my suspicions: Meyer's a boob. He's in over his head. The NFL is NOT college football. I think he's gonna bomb spectacularly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Thoughts?  Their owner is a friggin’ idiot who wants to move the team to London, they have a HC who will be out of the NFL within 3 years, they have no fan support, and they have a rookie franchise QB who is going to get killed unless they go max protection on most passing plays.

2 minutes ago, BTB said:

Thoughts?  Their owner is a friggin’ idiot who wants to move the team to London, they have a HC who will be out of the NFL within 3 years, they have no fan support, and they have a rookie franchise QB who is going to get killed unless they go max protection on most passing plays.

And now, the negative points...😁

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

I tuned in last night to see how Lawrence and crew looked and I was dismayed. I like T-Law a lot and think he will join Allen and Mahomes as the kings in the AFC, but their gonna get this kid killed if they can show protection. He can move decently and there is no doubt the potential is there, but their offensive line is as bad as the Bills in 2018. I think their skill players are not bad though. Their offense was also really basic it reminded me of the Jauron days with a lot of 5 yard passes that can break. I am not super well versed in scheme and why teams run certain plays, but with Allen did we intentionally run easier short passes to help or in general is that something teams do or are the Jags the second coming of the 09 Bills dink and dunk nothing attack haha

Anyway just wondering what others thought as the Jags quietly should be one of those teams that challenge and I was happy Lawrence wasn't in our division, but early on (and I know it is early) the Urban experiment doesn't look very good.

Preseason means nothing and I actually think the Jags could quietly compete this year especially in one of the weaker divisions on the NFL.

But like with most rookies, I don't expect Laurence to do much the first month or so but certainly improve as the season goes on. Losing Entiene though hurts and he's probably going to miss some time with his injury.

I tuned in last night to see how Lawrence and crew looked and I was dismayed. I like T-Law a lot and think he will join Allen and Mahomes as the kings in the AFC, but their gonna get this kid killed if they can show protection. He can move decently and there is no doubt the potential is there, but their offensive line is as bad as the Bills in 2018. I think their skill players are not bad though. Their offense was also really basic it reminded me of the Jauron days with a lot of 5 yard passes that can break. I am not super well versed in scheme and why teams run certain plays, but with Allen did we intentionally run easier short passes to help or in general is that something teams do or are the Jags the second coming of the 09 Bills dink and dunk nothing attack haha

Anyway just wondering what others thought as the Jags quietly should be one of those teams that challenge and I was happy Lawrence wasn't in our division, but early on (and I know it is early) the Urban experiment doesn't look very good.

I watched up to halftime. The jags look horrendous. It's pre season, so anything can happen when the real games start, but if I was a jags fan I'd be pre pared for a long season. On the other hand, I really thought the saints would be terrible this year, but they looked really good. Is that cuz the jags are so bad though? Guess we'll see 

• Like (+1) 1

Corta, in short I believe they are going to be one of those teams that, regardless of how bad they were the previous year, are going to shoot up to about 8-8 fairly easily.  

Even given the line issues you mentioned.  

I was very interested to have a look at Lawrence. I can really see the parallel between the Jags and Bengals. Badly run organizations that drafted unanimous #1 quarterbacks and didn't give them an oline.

I didn't see stand out impressive athletic traits from Trevor and that one scramble ended with a crunching hit. I hope for his sake that he protects himself or their season will mirror the Bengals last year.

I am perplexed by Etienne. They took him so high, and they didn't seem to know what to do with him. Now he's injured. 

If you're plotting the Jags trajectory on a graph it would be sloping down right now.

They need to put more talent around Lawrence. If they’re smart they would sit him this year and play Minshew. Don’t think they’ll do it though.

Urban Meyer also looks so disinterested on the sidelines. I don’t think he makes it past two years. Soon as first major college job opens up he gone. 

Edited by BillMafia716ix

6 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I was very interested to have a look at Lawrence. I can really see the parallel between the Jags and Bengals. Badly run organizations that drafted unanimous #1 quarterbacks and didn't give them an oline.

I didn't see stand out impressive athletic traits from Trevor and that one scramble ended with a crunching hit. I hope for his sake that he protects himself or their season will mirror the Bengals last year.

I am perplexed by Etienne. They took him so high, and they didn't seem to know what to do with him. Now he's injured. 

If you're plotting the Jags trajectory on a graph it would be sloping down right now.

Color me shocked that in 4 years Marone did not lay an oline foundation for years to come! Shocked, I say, shaocked!

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

Agree on the their offensive line, and they were without two starters last night. 

They were a run-heavy team last year to protect a lower tier starting QB, and this preseason they are calling the same conservative plays. Every running play is a slow developing 1-yard loss seemingly. You can hand to Robinson all day (and score 10 points if you'd like). He'll give you 80 yards on 20 carries. 

Without Chark, they have no explosive WRs. Shennault is physical, but he doesn't separate much. They have no Tight Ends. 

And Etienne, not a shock that he is already hurt. He declined his Senior year, looked out of shape against Ohio State. 

Lawrence has the arm strength and mobility, and hit a few nice passes last night. On the negative, he holds onto the ball, taken sacks, thrown late into coverage, other threw the deep ball, and generally has to deal with wide receivers who can't separate.  

14 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Where have Bills seen a Clemson running back, drafted in the first round, by a team that wanted a "waterbug", but then wasn't used as a running back and instead floundered as a dump off option until the starter got injured in Year 2? 

Also, like Spiller, he racked up alot of carries at Clemson, trended down in his Senior year, and is closer to a 4.40 guy than a true 4.30 guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I know I'm not alone in thinking this, but...

I have zero faith in Urban Meyer to be a good NFL head coach. Zero.

I think he's gonna be much more Steve Spurrier than Jimmy Johnson.

I felt this way from the beginning, but then the way they handled the draft -- Meyer openly admitting they wanted Kadarius Toney instead of Etienne, using a 1st round pick on a running back after James Robinson had a good year and considering other positional needs, putting said running back at wide receiver in camp -- confirmed my suspicions: Meyer's a boob. He's in over his head. The NFL is NOT college football. I think he's gonna bomb spectacularly.

It's the work that will have Meyer underachieve. 

NFL Coaches sleep at the Facility. 

It's 16-18 hour days. 

Meyer doesn't come off as a grinder in that respect. 

He's smart, proven to be a ruthless recruiter, but he's quit everywhere he's been for mental fatigue. I don't see how 10-12 years older, that he can put in those endless days at the office. And, the Jags brass was high on Meyer right from the beginning, so they didn't do a true Coaching search. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I watched up to halftime. The jags look horrendous. It's pre season, so anything can happen when the real games start, but if I was a jags fan I'd be pre pared for a long season. On the other hand, I really thought the saints would be terrible this year, but they looked really good. Is that cuz the jags are so bad though? Guess we'll see 

I mean - the jags had the 2nd worst defense in the league last year.  They held 1 team to fewer than 21 points (and won that game!).  The 2 first round picks are a QB and a RB/WR, so not really addressing a poor defense.  They also drafted a RB/WR hybrid player (Shenault) in the 2nd last year, so i assume they plan to use Etienne as a RB.  Minshew wasn't great but he also wasn't the main issue with this team.  So they basically used the draft to start over - and i can't say i blame them.  Clearly a lot of misses in the draft are what caused a lead-up to 1-15.  But the first order of business after this will be to shore up the offensive line, and to fix the defense.  

They added 3 FA's to the defense, but they have no pass rush and they can't stop the run.  Their 2 firsts a year ago have resulted in basically nothing.  Seems like nothing they have done has really worked out for them recently.

21 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Where have Bills seen a Clemson running back, drafted in the first round, by a team that wanted a "waterbug", but then wasn't used as a running back and instead floundered as a dump off option until the starter got injured in Year 2? 

Also, like Spiller, he racked up alot of carries at Clemson, trended down in his Senior year, and is closer to a 4.40 guy than a true 4.30 guy. 

Which begs the question, why would anyone select a rb top 30 when you don't Intend to use him as a 3 down back? Quality scat backs are cheap. It's just a weird logic and makes no sense when the team has so many holes.

Jags forum was also complaining about Tyson Campbell. All traits needing development. Jax is a terrible landing spot for him.

Considering both these guys were in the mix as Bills picks, I can't help wondering how different it could have been for these players.

1 hour ago, BTB said:

Oh well. At least they will be moving to the greatest city on earth... cos the rest don't sound too promising.

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

If I recall correctly we didn’t really scale the offense back for Allen. He wasn’t willing to play the short pass game. He lived in the 10-30 yard range and if protection didn’t hold he was running. But we were extremely conservative to keep him in the best game situations as possible. Run, run, pass had some people wanting mcd out of here and questioning if he could coach on gamedays. When in reality they were making a real effort to protect Allen’s confidence and keep him in less situations that he had to make the plays, or not make the play.  If they just unleashed him year one I think it could of been very ugly and likely he does not progress into what he is today. 

This league has seen plenty of “sure thing” quarterbacks fail or not live up to the hype. The situation these guys are put in sometimes outweighs their talent. 

This.  I think Daboll *tried* to give Allen "hot" reads and checkdowns, but Allen wouldn't freakin' take them.  Still doesn't take 'em when sometimes he should.

As far as "run run pass", we actually ran ~3% less than 2017 and passed more than we ran - 52% pass, 48% run - so even there was a switch from 50.5% run of 2017 and 2019 even a bit more pass heavy at 52.5% pass.

Anyway, I don't feel Daboll ran any kind of a simplified offense for Allen.  Seems to me the Bills were determined to have a pocket passing QB, and it was "rut hog or die" for Allen.

• Like (+1) 1