Last Duke Williams thread....[Edit: unclaimed on waived/injured, now on Bills IR]]

cage

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Head to Canada Duke

He will be all the better up there after his time with the Bills.

Good luck to him elsewhere, but this is the lasting image I have in my mind whenever I think of Duke Williams. The drop in the Playoffs against the Texans just before halftime. And YES, it was definitely a drop. Put the video on play at .25 speed at around the 6:17 mark into the video and you'll see that Conley had absolutely nothing to do with Duke not coming down with that catch. 

image.png.04bdf7f65da95c1f89a40d154302044b.png

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm still surprised by the weird hate for Duke on this site and even still on this thread. Its like some people would like him dead for not catching a fastball pass from Josh in the end zone while being submarined in great coverage. Compared to people like Charles Clay or Kelvin Benjamin, Duke actually performed when he got the chance and was humble just to make the practice squad. I just dont think he was ever utilized as what he should have been, which is a bit player in the offense.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, waived/injured is sort of the first part of an injury settlement for a player subject to waivers.  If the player is claimed, fine; if he isn't the team can reach an injury settlement with him (or IR him).  The injury settlements apparently have clauses against "double dipping" so if another team has interest it's simpler if he's just claimed.

Yeah and think then once they reach an reach an injury settlement, he can't come back to the team that waived/IR'd him

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I'm still surprised by the weird hate for Duke on this site and even still on this thread. Its like some people would like him dead for not catching a fastball pass from Josh in the end zone while being submarined in great coverage. Compared to people like Charles Clay or Kelvin Benjamin, Duke actually performed when he got the chance and was humble just to make the practice squad. I just dont think he was ever utilized as what he should have been, which is a bit player in the offense.

No one wants him dead. That's crazy come on now.

He's a big bodied receiver who had a chance to make a name for himself with a big boy catch at a big boy moment. He didn't do it. So what's left? Middling performances in training camp, no splash plays when he got a chance, and now he's being shown the door.

Every team has this guy, and we'll have more of him in the years to come. He'll show up with a good story, play well in practice, see just a bit of playing time and make nothing happen, and get pushed out the door by someone younger in a couple years.

This guy got more of a chance than most do. Just didn't work out. Duke Williams: a Tale as Old as Time.

Edited by Tom Donahoe, GM
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

What "weird hate" is this?  No one hates Duke.  We'd all love him to succeed.  He had a a big game against Tenn. in 2019 (4 for 4).  He got chances the next 2 weeks when the receiver corps wasn't "locked down", and he didn't get open (1 for 1, 1 for 2) so he went back to the practice squad to polish his craft.  He got another chance in the final game of the season and got targeted a LOT (6 for 12) by Barkley, which earned him a chance to make some big plays in a big game, the playoff game.  He didn't - 4 receptions on 10 targets.

As a result, the Bills decided they needed an upgrade at WR in 2020 and they got one, by trading for Diggs, drafting Gabe Davis,and Isaiah Hodgins, and eventually signing Jake Kumerow as PS competition. 

Duke could have used his extra year in the offense and with Josh to outplay rookie Davis for the "bit player/blocker/backup WR" role, but instead, Davis outplayed Duke and now it looks as though journeyman Kumerow is outplaying Duke.  Duke still got a chance as a "bit player" at the active roster last year week 7 against the Jets, and he didn't manage to get open/get targets. 

Seems to me he's had more chances than most "fringe players" receive, I'm not sure what utilization you think he should have gotten?  Duke also got some ST snaps in 2019 (up to 1/3 of the snaps in final 2019 game) and evidently failed to impress there, too, which kind of dooms him - the #4-6 WR MUST be able to play teams (Gabe Davis did some last season, unless he was filling in for an injured #1-3 WR; McKenzie does, Kumerow shines at it).

I think there might be rosters in the NFL, including the Bills rosters of 2017-2018, where Williams could be a #2 or #3 WR and not apparently earning his way as a core ST'er wouldn't doom him, but the Bills aren't one of those rosters.  It's probably best for both sides that he move on, and hopefully a WR-needy team will take a look at him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What "weird hate" is this?  No one hates Duke.  We'd all love him to succeed.  He had a a big game against Tenn. in 2019 (4 for 4).  He got chances the next 2 weeks when the receiver corps wasn't "locked down", and he didn't get open (1 for 1, 1 for 2) so he went back to the practice squad to polish his craft.  He got another chance in the final game of the season and got targeted a LOT (6 for 12) by Barkley, which earned him a chance to make some big plays in a big game, the playoff game.  He didn't - 4 receptions on 10 targets.

As a result, the Bills decided they needed an upgrade at WR in 2020 and they got one, by trading for Diggs, drafting Gabe Davis,and Isaiah Hodgins, and eventually signing Jake Kumerow as PS competition. 

Duke could have used his extra year in the offense and with Josh to outplay rookie Davis for the "bit player/blocker/backup WR" role, but instead, Davis outplayed Duke and now it looks as though journeyman Kumerow is outplaying Duke.  Duke still got a chance as a "bit player" at the active roster last year week 7 against the Jets, and he didn't manage to get open/get targets. 

Seems to me he's had more chances than most "fringe players" receive, I'm not sure what utilization you think he should have gotten?  Duke also got some ST snaps in 2019 (up to 1/3 of the snaps in final 2019 game) and evidently failed to impress there, too, which kind of dooms him - the #4-6 WR MUST be able to play teams (Gabe Davis did some last season, unless he was filling in for an injured #1-3 WR; McKenzie does, Kumerow shines at it).

I think there might be rosters in the NFL, including the Bills rosters of 2017-2018, where Williams could be a #2 or #3 WR and not apparently earning his way as a core ST'er wouldn't doom him, but the Bills aren't one of those rosters.  It's probably best for both sides that he move on, and hopefully a WR-needy team will take a look at him.

Maybe not "weird hate," but weird insult, and disrespect for a player who really doesn't deserve it. 

It's actually kind of a common way that these things evolve. Duke had some really dedicated fans here for a while, and that will always spur others to be anti, and then that starts to snowball. People often allow their desire to be "right" cloud their judgement of a player-- in both directions. I was a supporter of Duke when he first got here, and I, like many, was quite vocal about it. That sort of dialogue seemed to inspire others to be very vocal in their opposition. 

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Logic said:

Duke gave it his best shot in the NFL. 

His biggest chance to make it as a WR in the NFL came in the Houston playoff game. He was targeted heavily. He did not live up to the moment, highlighted by his end zone drop that might have changed the outcome of the game.

Alas, if he wants to get meaningful playing time and contribute, his best avenue to do so might be the CFL.

Thanks for giving it your all, Duke. I'll always remember the game-winner against Tennessee. Happy trails to you.

Exactly what I was going to post.  I'm surprised they bothered to keep him after that. Thought it was pretty clear he had reached his potential and it wasn't enough for the Prime Time Bills

7 minutes ago, Georgie said:

How do you figure ?

My comment was referring to the reporter who speculated that Singletary/Moss/Breida may all not play against GB. However it appears Wade is still injured and not practicing so there goes that. I guess we'll see a lot of the new back that was signed. 

6 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Clay led our team in receptions while he was here , and came in second twice

You can say whatever you want about the guy, but he outperformed Duke Williams 

He was tyrod Taylor's favorite Target. Live up to the contract? No 

But I'd say being second in catches twice and first once in 4 years is kinda performing at a pretty good level... Not bum status

Edited by Buffalo716

In my opinion, Duke was asked to do too much in the Houston play-off game - coming in after a cameo the week before and many weeks of being inactive and basically asked to become the in-game WR1 .

Sure, he could have risen to the challenge and acquitted himself even better than he did. I think 90% of players faced with that same situation would not be able to elevate their play to the required level. 

The other key moments in the game often get overlooked in comparison to Duke's missed endzone catch - Knox's missed block on the Josh roll out to the right in OT and for me at least, John Brown and the missed sideline catch where he could not sort out his feet and he was our premier WR at the time.

I wish Duke well for the future and thank him for his efforts. Buffalo has better wide receiver choices now! 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Oh wow. Not surprising nobody claimed him. So no practice squad availability for him?? Is this like a released with injury settlement thing to be announced later? 

It could be.  Depends upon what the injury is and how long it will last.  If it's season long, it's to his interest to reject an injury settlement.

If he hopes he can catch on with another team as injuries mount, it's in his interest to accept a settlement.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.