Kumerow and the WR Glut

We have an embarrassment of riches at receiver. I've read lots of great posts about our final 53, debating whether we should carry 7 WRs. However, it seems to be assumed that Kumerow should be on the 53. For a while, I assumed that too. But then I thought about it and wondered, why am I so high on Kumerow? 

Yes, I loved seeing his hair swoop and felt great for Touchdown Jesus as he made his only catch last season, in the blowout of the Broncos. But he has played four seasons and his career stats are 21 catches for 344 yards and 3 TDs. He is 6'4" but pretty light at 210 pounds, so he isn't going to outmuscle cornerbacks. At the same time, he's no burner and never seems to get wide open. Nor does he have exceptional route-running or quickness. And lately he's been dropping balls that look pretty catchable, which if you aren't a separation receiver, is not gonna work. Okay, Aaron Rodgers once said he likes him, but that's not really enough, is it? 

There seems to be a kind of groupthink love for Kumerow which has developed. I was part of it too. But I don't see it borne out by his performance.  Trying to look at it objectively, it makes more sense to carry 6 wide receivers but keep Stevenson, who can also take over if McKenzie keeps muffing punts, and serves as a deep threat. 

Am I missing something here? 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

We just get a snapshot in the preseason games so I rely more on practice reports.  He's standing out as the clear #6 at this point from all accounts and can play special teams which is huge with the coaching staff.  We could IR Stevenson and Hogkins to see where they're at next year.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No I think if Stevenson is healthy then Kumerow is one of the obvious people whose roster spot he could take. He isn't the only guy... they could cut Taiwan Jones and use Kumerow full time as a gunner as I think many fans would like (though the continued sitting of Jones alongside players assured of their roster spot makes me think this is very unlikely). They could also go with only two frontline tight ends - Knox and Hollister - given that they have Gilliam who can do that job too, Sweeney is hurt again and they have nobody else on the squad at tight end worth rostering. They could cut Matt Brieda, go with Singletary and Moss and then both Gilliam and Jones as break glass in case of emergency backs. Or they could save a spot on defense cutting from the DL or the linebacking unit... but those are two really strong, deep positions on the roster as well and so you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

It's tough because Kumerow is the 6th best receiver on the team right now. But Stevenson as a developmental guy both as a receiver and a returner is unlikely to make it through waivers with what he put on film on Saturday. Are they willing to risk that for a 29 year old journeyman with the numbers you quoted above? Not sure they are.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We just get a snapshot in the preseason games so I rely more on practice reports.  He's standing out as the clear #6 at this point from all accounts and can play special teams which is huge with the coaching staff.  We could IR Stevenson and Hogkins to see where they're at next year.  

Ah, the special teams contribution is one I might have overlooked. 

But I still wonder if a player's only play of the season happens to be memorable like Kumerow's touchdown, then they loom larger on the depth chart for a long time... I look at Kumerow play WR and I don't see much more than I do with Duke. Not to open THAT can of worms lol

1 minute ago, Ray Stonada said:

But I still wonder if a player's only play of the season happens to be memorable like Kumerow's touchdown, then they loom larger on the depth chart for a long time... I look at Kumerow play WR and I don't see much more than I do with Duke. Not to open THAT can of worms lol

I get the touchdown endearing him to Bills fan because Josh threw that football so hard that it could go through a car wash and not get wet.

From what's been reported in practice, Kumerow has separated himself from the other WR's fighting for that 6th spot.  I get the Duke Williams comparison but he doesn't play special teams.  If we don't want to risk losing Stevenson than we can simply IR him before the final cut downs.  If not then we can carry seven WR's if need be.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I need to get my eyes checked.  A quick glance at the thread title, and I thought someone had made a deal for a jersey ala the Kiko Alonso jersey story.

Only a matter of time .....

2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

The Bills will not be overlooking it...he knows four positions on teams. Dude is not going anywhere via cut, trade or otherwise

• Like (+1) 1

The “glut” of WRs is no glut when your starting four are all injured at the same time during the playoffs…, 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

At the end of the day - they said all of the same things about duke williams in previous camps as they say about kumerow.  He played some snaps for buffalo and still ended up on the practice squad.  28 year old journeymen struggle at that position though, there are usually like 30-40 new WRs every season.  A few retire, but mostly the journeymen are continually pushed out by new 20-22 year old kids who have draft pedigree and or some super plus traits (size, speed, hands, polish, etc).

A lot of worry is going into who the 6th WR is - when they'll probably end up with 8 between the active roster and PS.  

5 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

Difference is Kummerow actually makes the play, Duke more often doesn't.  Touchdown was nice but the toe tapping catch Kummerow made was great.  Meanwhile as Duke Williams was falling down it was an easy interception the Bear CB had from Webb had he been able to hold onto the ball, that was Duke's fault.

Duke also should have held onto that TD throw in the Texans playoff game, he holds onto that we probably win.

The great Duke experiment in Buffalo is over, I dont see how he sticks.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Objectively, we're talking about the 6th receiver on the team. How many balls this year will be thrown to the #6 receiver? Probably not too many, and whoever this player is, will probably not be the sole difference to a single W or L this upcoming season. For that reason... you keep whoever you think has the higher potential, and you live with seeing Kumorow in a different uniform.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No I think if Stevenson is healthy then Kumerow is one of the obvious people whose roster spot he could take. He isn't the only guy... they could cut Taiwan Jones and use Kumerow full time as a gunner as I think many fans would like (though the continued sitting of Jones alongside players assured of their roster spot makes me think this is very unlikely). They could also go with only two frontline tight ends - Knox and Hollister - given that they have Gilliam who can do that job too, Sweeney is hurt again and they have nobody else on the squad at tight end worth rostering. They could cut Matt Brieda, go with Singletary and Moss and then both Gilliam and Jones as break glass in case of emergency backs. Or they could save a spot on defense cutting from the DL or the linebacking unit... but those are two really strong, deep positions on the roster as well and so you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

It's tough because Kumerow is the 6th best receiver on the team right now. But Stevenson as a developmental guy both as a receiver and a returner is unlikely to make it through waivers with what he put on film on Saturday. Are they willing to risk that for a 29 year old journeyman with the numbers you quoted above? Not sure they are.

4 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

I don't think either Kumerow or Stevenson would make it through waivers so to me that point doesn't matter.  They both contribute to ST but in a much different way.  Unless they keep Powell which to me is very unlikely, they probably would like to have a backup return man to McKenzie if needed on Sundays so that's in Stevenson's favor.  However at this point Kumerow IMO brings more to the table as a WR than Stevenson. 

Considering McKenzie is a return man, they may feel the need to spell him more as the WR.  Would they want to use him on 1st down after just returning say a 30 yard punt or kickoff?  For that reason, they may want Kumerow.   Considering overall how pass happy the team is and their TE spot is not the strongest, to me keeping 7 WR isn't the dumbest idea particularly when you look at how strong the group is top to bottom.  Defense can't say, "oh good Davis is out this play, we have the advantage".  Believe they led the league in plays with 4 WR's??

Fans have always gone gaga over Duke (Kiko 2.0) but don't recall hearing or reading about the players and coaches gushing over Duke they way they are about Kumerow.  There was some, but not at this level from what I recall.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don't think either Kumerow or Stevenson would make it through waivers so to me that point doesn't matter.  They both contribute to ST but in a much different way.  Unless they keep Powell which to me is very unlikely, they probably would like to have a backup return man to McKenzie if needed on Sundays so that's in Stevenson's favor.  However at this point Kumerow IMO brings more to the table as a WR than Stevenson. 

Considering McKenzie is a return man, they may feel the need to spell him more as the WR.  Would they want to use him on 1st down after just returning say a 30 yard punt or kickoff?  For that reason, they may want Kumerow.   Considering overall how pass happy the team is and their TE spot is not the strongest, to me keeping 7 WR isn't the dumbest idea particularly when you look at how strong the group is top to bottom.  Defense can't say, "oh good Davis is out this play, we have the advantage".  Believe they led the league in plays with 4 WR's??

Fans have always gone gaga over Duke (Kiko 2.0) but don't recall hearing or reading about the players and coaches gushing over Duke they way they are about Kumerow.  There was some, but not at this level from what I recall.

Yeah I never got why.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The Bills will not be overlooking it...he knows four positions on teams. Dude is not going anywhere via cut, trade or otherwise

I get that he plays teams... But it didn't help him make the active roster on many gamedays last year, and I haven't heard of him as a special teams "ace." And Stevenson obviously looks good on teams, as well. 

Sanders and Beasley are in their 30’s, both still excellent WR’s, but we throw the ball a ton and I’d like to think our staff paid attention to what happened in the Playoffs last year with injuries.  

Factor in a 17 game season, and I think it makes sense to carry 7.  

Kumerow is a guy we know Josh trusts, and can come in for red zone packages.  

Stevenson is a high potential guy that we’ll lose to waivers.  You can’t teach speed, and he can absolutely fly.  We got him as a steal in a loaded WR draft.  Maybe he only plays sparingly this year, but that’s 3 more years of a rookie contract speed threat.  

The spot can come from Tight End.  Carry Knox and Hollister, with Gilliam as FB/TE3. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3