If we have to choose: McDermott or Daboll?

19 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

It would have been a bold move by Washington at that time, but anyone with sense knew that Jay was on borrowed time.  

I don't know.  McVay was widely known as an offensive genius while the Redskins fell from 1st in the NFCE to 3rd in McVay's last year there. 

As for Daboll, while he may get credit for developing Josh, if Josh is what we think he is, he won't regress just because Daboll is gone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

McDermott and Beane share credit for completely rebuilding the team; talent, character, everything.  Daboll as an exciting and productive offensive system, and he's a brilliant coordinator.  That said, the system and the playbook belong to the Bills.  No, it's not copyrighted and Brian Daboll can install the same system if he goes somewhere else, but Buffalo has some smart, capable offensive assistants, who could step into the offensive coordinator role, and will probably not change the offensive system.  I'm thinking Ken Dorsey, the QB coach/passing game coordinator is a natural choice to succeed Daboll.  It helps that Dorsey has and assistant QB coach in Shea Tierney that Josh Allen just loves.  Tierney can easily step into the QB coach position.

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

It would have been a bold move by Washington at that time, but anyone with sense knew that Jay was on borrowed time.  

Which is not the case here where Sean is responsible for turning the franchise around.

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I think of it as more of a partnership than one guy being above the other, but I do agree that McD says, "This is what I need" and Beane gets it for him. I'm guessing Sean says, "Get me a guy with these characteristics" and Beane finds the best one available that he can reasonable acquire. I doubt the coach gets directly involved in player scouting or choosing a particular guy, though.

So I think in practice it is a partnership. But because McDermott understands that is how you succeed you delegate and trust. But the point remains this is Sean McDermott's show. It was a risk for the Bills to hand so much power and control to a first time Head Coach who even before he coached a game got to hand pick his GM and have the whole personnel department fired. There were folks here at the time who were understandably nervous about it. But the Bills picked the right guy. Life for Bills fans changed as soon as McDermott walked through the door.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:01 AM, hondo in seattle said:

It's interesting that Daboll now has so many supporters.  I clearly remember when McD first hired Dabs, lots of folks were pissed.  Daboll had failed as an OC in Cleveland, Miami, and KC.   Many wailed, "Why are we bringing in this retread?  We can do better!"

If nothing else, McD deserves credit for seeing the talent in Daboll that wasn't obvious in his spotty resume.  

But I do think there is something else at play.  Here, Beane's given Daboll a franchise QB and some great wideouts to work with.  And McD has created a culture and implemented a 'process' that optimizes the performance of both his coaches and players.  

Daboll didn't create this high-flying offense on his own.  Just like it takes teamwork on the field to win, it takes a team off the field to build a championship franchise.  

I wasn't excited about the hire either. Daboll is obviously a great coordinator, but it takes a great QB to run his offense at the same time. He's benefitted greatly having Josh as his guy and I don't think we'll see much if any drop off when goes. 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:48 PM, Westside Madness said:

I don't ask this question lightly. This may be also be the first or second OP I have posted.

McDermott has obviously brought this team together and his relationship with Beane is amazing. That being said, is Daboll and his offensive system seem more important than McDermott and his, both, defensive skills and HC acumen to the Bills long term. Impulsively. 

I want to assume and fully expect the Bills to let Daboll walk into a new HC job with Tribisky as his QB and we will fill that OC gap with someone, but this offense is humming. Like a well tuned classic car.

Are we confident that we can survive Daboll's absence?

This actually reads better than I expected it to...Vodka!!

How can you assume that Daboll's new team,if he does move on, will automatically sign Trubisky? What if they already have a QB they like? As a new head coach, Daboll won't be all that powerful. 

Edited by Georgie