If we have to choose: McDermott or Daboll?

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane is only here because of McDermott. He doesn't make a single move without McDermott's authority. This is, was and always will be Sean's show.

He may be here because of McD but he has risen meteorically. He and his team he's assembled pick the players. Sean is part of everything for sure, but McDermott was making mistake after mistake early on. McDermott is the guy behind Peterman and Barkley and likely Fromm. Not that he wasn't on board with Josh and part of the whole brain trust but Beane is the one that scouts and finds these guys. He's a genius with the cap and looking short, mid and long term. McDermott is a great motivator, and has BECOME a very good to great coach. This team is not where we are without Beane, too. I'm not sure McD even drafts Josh.

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He may be here because of McD but he has risen meteorically. He and his team he's assembled pick the players. Sean is part of everything for sure, but McDermott was making mistake after mistake early on. McDermott is the guy behind Peterman and Barkley and likely Fromm. Not that he wasn't on board with Josh and part of the whole brain trust but Beane is the one that scouts and finds these guys. He's a genius with the cap and looking short, mid and long term. McDermott is a great motivator, and has BECOME a very good to great coach. This team is not where we are without Beane, too. I'm not sure McD even drafts Josh.

I disagree I am afraid. Not to say McDermott hasn't made missteps, but Hyde and Poyer? Him. White, Dawkins and Milano? Him. Brandon Beane works to Sean McDermott's beat, not the other way around. This is the Sean McDermott show starring Josh Allen and Brandon Beane. It is McDermott's vision, McDermott's culture, McDermott's belief in what wins. He trusts Bean implicitly and they clearly have a great rapport but I believe Sean McDermott has the power to veto any move anyone in this organisation not name Pegula makes. Beane is working to clear specifications of what McDermott wants. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bad Things said:

Do we know for sure that Daboll even wants a head coaching position?  He probably does, but he's in a really good position right now too.

We can be reasonably sure, considering he's interviewed for several vacancies.

• Agree 1

With all due respect to Daboll, there's a reason why he was passed on the Chargers job despite having a relationship with their GM.

And for all we know Daboll's success is more a biproduct of Josh Allen than vice versa as some suggest.

Either way I don't really understand the premise of this thread but think  99 times out of 100 you would keep mcdermott if this is a legitimate question .

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

With all due respect to Daboll, there's a reason why he was passed on the Chargers job despite having a relationship with their GM.

And for all we know Daboll's success is more a biproduct of Josh Allen than vice versa as some suggest.

Either way I don't really understand the premise of this thread but think  99 times out of 100 you would keep mcdermott if this is a legitimate question .

Last year was his first time on the HC carousel. Sometimes guys pop first time others take 2 or 3 rounds before they get a shot.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Last year was his first time on the HC carousel. Sometimes guys pop first time others take 2 or 3 rounds before they get a shot.

For the record I don't disagree and believe he's going to be a HC next year even if this offense regresses a little.

Just not sure he's truly an offensive guru based on the totality of his resume previous to Buffalo/JA17. But then again he has Trubisky looking pretty good so far.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

For the record I don't disagree and believe he's going to be a HC next year even if this offense regresses a little.

Just not sure he's truly an offensive guru based on the totality of his resume previous to Buffalo/JA17. But then again he has Trubisky looking pretty good so far.

Indeed. But he has always had bottom of the barrel talent before. His is a complex scheme. It isn't like the Gailey offense which is so simple any idiot can run it but it doesn't really get that much better with stars (as evidenced when he was HC in Dallas). 

I think he is a better coach with good players (as most are) which isn't a surprise considering his history.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Let’s just hope he’s not preoccupied by interviews as we are getting ready to win our first Lombardy Trophy! 

21 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s not something the Bills will even consider. They’re not firing McDermott 1 year removed from an AFC East championship (for the 1st time in decades) and being 1 game away from the Super Bowl.

and that’s not even considering how good they might do this year...

they’re going to fire the head coach if he has a 10+ win season and playoff appearance? No.

But even if they had a down year they’re not moving on from McDermott. If they lose Daboll my guess is that they’ll promote Ken Dorsey and try to keep the same basic offense in place.

All of this. You saved me the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wow. I didn't even remember posting this. No wonder why I was feeling a bit rough at work today...

Thankfully, none of my neighbors saw this. They might have demanded I sell my house in OP.

The question was stupid. I believe my wandering mind was thinking more about what sort of drop in offensive production we might face when Daboll leaves, which goes to the question; how much is the success due to the game plan vs. the increase in talent. I could have framed THAT at least 99 other ways and they all would have been better than this.

My job handed out some club tix today, so I am eager to see who gets playing time this Saturday!

I directly apologize to any and all people that were exposed to this post...*pours another drink*

Go Bills!

22 hours ago, Doc said:

Why is this a question?  Daboll will get promoted to HC by someone who has a vacancy.  The Bills have a HC...McD.

Although the answer is McDermott, this is a legit question. 

Whether accurately or inaccurately, Daboll will be largely credited with developing Josh Allen and letting those guys get away can be costly.  

I live in the D.C.Metropolitan area.  I was banging the table for Washington to fire Jay Gruden and promote McVay in 2017.  Instead, they fooloshly let McVay get away and ended up firing Gruden 5 games into the 2019 season.

You've seen it time and time again, where maybe the OC should have been promoted and the HC let go.  *Maybe.  Reich in Philly, but was never going to happen off the back of a Super Bowl victory.  Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta.  Bill Musgrave in Oakland.

Again, I believe McDermott is the answer here.  Josh's talent is so that he can probably make any halfway decent coordinator look good.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is the Sean McDermott show starring Josh Allen and Brandon Beane. It is McDermott's vision, McDermott's culture, McDermott's belief in what wins. He trusts Bean implicitly and they clearly have a great rapport but I believe Sean McDermott has the power to veto any move anyone in this organisation not name Pegula makes. Beane is working to clear specifications of what McDermott wants. 

I think of it as more of a partnership than one guy being above the other, but I do agree that McD says, "This is what I need" and Beane gets it for him. I'm guessing Sean says, "Get me a guy with these characteristics" and Beane finds the best one available that he can reasonable acquire. I doubt the coach gets directly involved in player scouting or choosing a particular guy, though.

12 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Ya Chandler usually bans people for posts he doesn't like he must be losing his edge.

if your going to call out someone's name do it like this @Chandler#81 And to his defense... He is trying to create a better forum by stopping dumb topics.. do not always agree with chandler being grumpy on this topic but I respect it.

• Disagree 1

On 8/22/2021 at 10:03 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott is a great leader and his players follow him.  He’s a top 5 HC in the league.  Has some flaws but his positives outweigh his negatives by a lot.

Not saying he doesn’t have flaws but just curious… what are they?

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Although the answer is McDermott, this is a legit question. 

Whether accurately or inaccurately, Daboll will be largely credited with developing Josh Allen and letting those guys get away can be costly.  

I live in the D.C.Metropolitan area.  I was banging the table for Washington to fire Jay Gruden and promote McVay in 2017.  Instead, they fooloshly let McVay get away and ended up firing Gruden 5 games into the 2019 season.

You've seen it time and time again, where maybe the OC should have been promoted and the HC let go.  *Maybe.  Reich in Philly, but was never going to happen off the back of a Super Bowl victory.  Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta.  Bill Musgrave in Oakland.

Again, I believe McDermott is the answer here.  Josh's talent is so that he can probably make any halfway decent coordinator look good.

Yeah.  Except one major difference: Jay Gruden sucked as a HC.

• Agree 1