If we have to choose: McDermott or Daboll?

This is tough, like being asked to choose between Mickey or Apollo as your boxing trainer.

Mickey was real good, tough as hell and didn't mince his words. He also tried to stay healthy, eating fruit during his training sessions. But then Apollo had some new ideas and put more more emphasis on speed (all Mickey had in that regard was some chicken chasing). 

Hmmm, all said I think I'll go for Apollo as the man could pull off a crop top like no one else

557094d907c6ed36868c6e3e7008c474.png

• Haha (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Billyboy said:

This is a no brainer, Daboll.  When McDermott came he was a DEFENSIVE coach.  Since he's been here the defense slowly got WORSE.   When Daboll came he inherited the WORSE offense in the NFL.  Now they have a top 3 offense.  

The defense was #2 in the league just two years ago 

7 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

The defense was #2 in the league just two years ago 

It went from 19th in Rex's last year to 26th in McDermott's first year to then 2nd in 2018 and 3rd in 2019 to 14th in 2020. So it has been "worse" than the defense he inherited once, his first year here. Since then they have had two outstanding years and one above average one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McD after Daboll departs for a HC gig..........Ok Mr Beane break out the list we have been compiling and lets start the process :)

Coach McD ain't going no where :)

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

This is tough, like being asked to choose between Mickey or Apollo as your boxing trainer.

Mickey was real good, tough as hell and didn't mince his words. He also tried to stay healthy, eating fruit during his training sessions. But then Apollo had some new ideas and put more more emphasis on speed (all Mickey had in that regard was some chicken chasing). 

Hmmm, all said I think I'll go for Apollo as the man could pull off a crop top like no one else

557094d907c6ed36868c6e3e7008c474.png

Daboll cannot and should not ever try to pull of that look ;)

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Too bad we don’t get draft picks for white coaches being promoted to other teams, along with POC’s...it would kind of soften the blow imo...

He could do black face like our illustrious Prime Minister Justin Idiot Trudeau ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

If we have to choose between the OP and an in & out burger 🍔 we should choose the in & out burger every time, it is after all the the only correct choice. 

McDermott is obviously the HC and leader of men on this team. He and Beane also have a great relationship and work well in tandem with one another. Daboll is a great OC to have in our stable, but the contingency is already in place for when he leaves with the added responsibility given to Dorsey. Dorsey will step right into the OC position when Daboll finally gets his shot. Also, at that point, Josh will have been in the same offense for at least 4 years. The mental mastery for the concepts we run will be there and he will be working hand in hand with the OC to coordinate what we see on the field. McDermott isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

I don't ask this question lightly. This may be also be the first or second OP I have posted.

McDermott has obviously brought this team together and his relationship with Beane is amazing. That being said, is Daboll and his offensive system seem more important than McDermott and his, both, defensive skills and HC acumen to the Bills long term. Impulsively. 

I want to assume and fully expect the Bills to let Daboll walk into a new HC job with Tribisky as his QB and we will fill that OC gap with someone, but this offense is humming. Like a well tuned classic car.

Are we confident that we can survive Daboll's absence?

This actually reads better than I expected it to...Vodka!!

Judging by all the Disagree, Thumbs Down, Ha Ha's and Vomit emojis on your post I would assume you have your answer.

I don't want to see Daboll leave either. He's by far the best OC this team has seen since Marchibroda. 

He's earned the opportunity to have his own team and he's gonna have plenty of suitors at seasons end. 

You think the Pats ever thought, hmmm. Belicheck or Weis? 

While Daboll is the OC, it's not his offense it is the Bills' offense. The playbook doesn't leave with Daboll. The play calling does. However, with analytics as sophisticated as they are today, you can analyze that stuff. They can keep the same playbook. And of course presuming Allen continues to be one of the top QBs there's no reason to change it. 

The continuity with potentially Dorsey and maybe even at some point Tierney is important. They can still run the same offense and probably have a good feel for what works best. 

There are lots of examples of really good coordinators hitting their ceiling as OC or DC and not being good head coaches. We know McDermott is a very good HC, we have no idea if Daboll will be or not. He deserves the chance but you still don't know. 

McDermott all the way.

11 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

I don't ask this question lightly. This may be also be the first or second OP I have posted.

McDermott has obviously brought this team together and his relationship with Beane is amazing. That being said, is Daboll and his offensive system seem more important than McDermott and his, both, defensive skills and HC acumen to the Bills long term. Impulsively. 

I want to assume and fully expect the Bills to let Daboll walk into a new HC job with Tribisky as his QB and we will fill that OC gap with someone, but this offense is humming. Like a well tuned classic car.

Are we confident that we can survive Daboll's absence?

This actually reads better than I expected it to...Vodka!!

Obviously you already had too much vodka to ask this question.  I am sure we can survive your absence