If we have to choose: McDermott or Daboll?

Lots of McDermott fan boys here, as expected. The answer is Daboll though and that will become apparent in a few years. No chance it happens but I'd rather promote him to HC and let McClappy walk. Nice guy but still old school. Coaches scared and he's not great when it comes to in-game decisions either. If the Bills come up short this season, he'll be the main reason why.

And let's correct some revisionist history that he took over a disaster of a team. The Bills went 7-9 and 8-8 with an absolute joke of a coaching staff before he arrived.

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

I don't ask this question lightly. This may be also be the first or second OP I have posted.

McDermott has obviously brought this team together and his relationship with Beane is amazing. That being said, is Daboll and his offensive system seem more important than McDermott and his, both, defensive skills and HC acumen to the Bills long term. Impulsively. 

I want to assume and fully expect the Bills to let Daboll walk into a new HC job with Tribisky as his QB and we will fill that OC gap with someone, but this offense is humming. Like a well tuned classic car.

Are we confident that we can survive Daboll's absence?

This actually reads better than I expected it to...Vodka!!

I thought the same thing...weed!!!

There is potential for sustained greatness with the team and McDermott is probably the most important person making that happen. Dabol is an superb coordinator for our personnel. This is a no brainer, McDermott is not replaceable without changing the whole makup of the team. He's the man.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

I don't ask this question lightly. This may be also be the first or second OP I have posted.

McDermott has obviously brought this team together and his relationship with Beane is amazing. That being said, is Daboll and his offensive system seem more important than McDermott and his, both, defensive skills and HC acumen to the Bills long term. Impulsively. 

I want to assume and fully expect the Bills to let Daboll walk into a new HC job with Tribisky as his QB and we will fill that OC gap with someone, but this offense is humming. Like a well tuned classic car.

Are we confident that we can survive Daboll's absence?

This actually reads better than I expected it to...Vodka!!

We still have both. But since you asked- McD and it is not even close.

• Agree 1

Let's see... one has a proven track record of winning in the NFL and leading his team to the playoffs multiple times, including the AFC Championship game. The other is an offensive coordinator who has no track record as an NFL head coach.

Should be a simple answer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm more critical of McDermott than most on this board. Prior to the 20-21 season I thought he was a white Marv Lewis. He made poor in game decisions (punting in OT of the snow game vs Colts), awful at challenges, poor clock management, and generally was overly conservative. 

So much happened in 20-21 to change my mind about McDermott. He was willing to take (reasonable) chances by going for it on 4th downs. He was willing to abandon the run game and rely on the pass game. He even got better at clock management and challenges. 

If we have to chose between McD and Daboll as head coach the answer is McD 100 times out of 100. Their are so many other potential OC's out there that would succeed with Allen, Diggs, et al.

35 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Lots of McDermott fan boys here, as expected. The answer is Daboll though and that will become apparent in a few years. No chance it happens but I'd rather promote him to HC and let McClappy walk. Nice guy but still old school. Coaches scared and he's not great when it comes to in-game decisions either. If the Bills come up short this season, he'll be the main reason why.

And let's correct some revisionist history that he took over a disaster of a team. The Bills went 7-9 and 8-8 with an absolute joke of a coaching staff before he arrived.

So, your argument is that they weren't a disaster before he got here, that they were on the low side of mediocre? With a culture that had kept them bad to mediocre for decades? Fair enough.

And stilll an excellent argument for McDermott. He changed the seemingly unchangeable.

Daboll really is an excellent OC, an OC who was hired by McDermott, by the way. Against a ton of resistance from many many Bills fans. An awful lot of Bills fans after 2018 thought that the lack of offensive production meant Daboll was doing a bad job. Not McDermott though.

Daboll hasn't shown anything beyond that at this point. A very fine OC with a chance to be more in the future. McDermott has shown he's a top-rank NFL head coach, right up among the very best in the league.

Edited by Thurman#1

Oh please.  The Falcons, Redskins, and Eagles have done very well since their "hot" offensive coordinator left.  Best case scenario is Tua fails miserably this year.  Daboll takes over the Fins job and goes 0-17 because Tua still sucks.  Daboll comes crawling back here after Dorsey gets the Cowboys HC opening in 2023.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Is this on? 'Cos it's about to be on!

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

The biggest reason the Bills have succeeded in the last 5 years is Sean McDermott. 

• Agree 4

This is a no brainer, Daboll.  When McDermott came he was a DEFENSIVE coach.  Since he's been here the defense slowly got WORSE.   When Daboll came he inherited the WORSE offense in the NFL.  Now they have a top 3 offense.  

• Haha (+1) 3