If we have to choose: McDermott or Daboll?

I don't ask this question lightly. This may be also be the first or second OP I have posted.

McDermott has obviously brought this team together and his relationship with Beane is amazing. That being said, is Daboll and his offensive system seem more important than McDermott and his, both, defensive skills and HC acumen to the Bills long term. Impulsively. 

I want to assume and fully expect the Bills to let Daboll walk into a new HC job with Tribisky as his QB and we will fill that OC gap with someone, but this offense is humming. Like a well tuned classic car.

Are we confident that we can survive Daboll's absence?

Just now, Westside Madness said:

I don't ask this question lightly. This may be also be the first or second OP I have posted.

McDermott has obviously brought this team together and his relationship with Beane is amazing. That being said, is Daboll and his offensive system seem more important than McDermott and his, both, defensive skills and HC acumen to the Bills long term. Impulsively. 

I want to assume and fully expect the Bills to let Daboll walk into a new HC job with Tribisky as his QB and we will fill that OC gap with someone, but this offense is humming. Like a well tuned classic car.

This actually reads better than I expected it to...Vodka!!

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Dislike 3

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why is this a question?  Daboll will get promoted to HC by someone who has a vacancy.  The Bills have a HC...McD.

..because the OP wants attention and this stupidity will get a bunch of people rushing here to answer it

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s not something the Bills will even consider. They’re not firing McDermott 1 year removed from an AFC East championship (for the 1st time in decades) and being 1 game away from the Super Bowl.

and that’s not even considering how good they might do this year...

they’re going to fire the head coach if he has a 10+ win season and playoff appearance? No.

But even if they had a down year they’re not moving on from McDermott. If they lose Daboll my guess is that they’ll promote Ken Dorsey and try to keep the same basic offense in place.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

We have a top 5 head coach, a top 5 GM, a top 5 WR, and a top 5 QB. Our OC position would be one of the most coveted jobs in the NFL. I'm not terribly worried about replacing Daboll. But we'll probably just promote Ken Dorsey anyways. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

27 minutes ago, Westside Madness said:

Yep I am fully confident. They are grooming behind Daboll. And Josh and the rest of the offense isnt leaving with Daboll. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

..because the OP wants attention and this stupidity will get a bunch of people rushing here to answer it

He has like 300 posts. I don't frequent this place enough to know if he is an attention seeker, if so my apologize. I do frequent it enough to know these type of responses are far too common. Little support for new members, no value posts, just bla,  less than even an OP that is off base as far as you describe. Every post somebody doesn't agree with the topic on has one of these.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, patzen said:

We have a top 5 head coach, a top 5 GM, a top 5 WR, and a top 5 QB. Our OC position would be one of the most coveted jobs in the NFL. I'm not terribly worried about replacing Daboll. But we'll probably just promote Ken Dorsey anyways. 

Too bad we don’t get draft picks for white coaches being promoted to other teams, along with POC’s...it would kind of soften the blow imo...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Westside Madness said:

I like Daboll but it’s not even close for me. You keep McD.

You seriously want to discuss the removal of our coach? 

No offense, but this topic ought be inline for worst of the year.
McDermott is a respected leader of men, an instigator of great culture and happens to be the founding fella who restored our club to the cusp of greatness.

Edited by foreboding
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

McDermott and to me its not close. We can always find another coordinator that runs the Erhardt Perkins offense playbook. Basically its the same offense system that Brady used in New England with some read option concepts added. Look at all the OC's that Bellicheat has used when Brady was the QB and the Brady didnt lose a beat.

I feel like as long as we keep Ken Dorsey and promote him to OC we will be fine

• Like (+1) 2

Both McDermott and Daboll have got substantially better over three seasons. Almost the ascension of Josh. McDermott was not a good game day coach in his first and a lot of his second season. He was making Nathan Peterman decisions early. He’s far, far better now. As is Daboll. 

Daboll and McDermott’s job became a lot different last year when they had their guy at QB and it was year 3-4 in the systems. Totally different job.

Right now, with Dorsey in the wings, we can afford to lose Daboll more IMO. But Daboll has become an excellent play caller which is a tough job and cannot be taught. Dorsey has never really done it. 

• Like (+1) 1