Harrison Phillips knee injury

YoloinOhio

Adding empiricism/anecdotal thoughts to HP injury:

To all the ACLers out there, you know it never really goes away. Dings, bangs, little twists, swelling. Always 10-15% worse (temporary) than before even a successful surgery, in my view.

So:

(a) no idea re Harry specifics, but could it fall under amorphous ACL syndrome?

(b) interested to hear fr others--I know you're out there--re your ACL experience, as it might relate to Hp going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I suppose since when specifically asked about Phillips he said he could miss some time. I just don't know if that's actually a long time or he means the week or two he said instead a few days that he also said.

I think I saw “week-to-week”

that paired with rap sheet saying it’s not a serious knee injury, I would put it in the category of it doesn’t need surgery but it’s not yet known when he will return 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

that paired with rap sheet saying it’s not a serious knee injury, I would put it in the category of it doesn’t need surgery but it’s not yet known when he will return 

After listening to the PC, this sounds right to me too. The interesting thing is that he’s in a battle to make the team and will now probably miss the rest of preseason. So, does he make the team or not? I assume they’re going to give Butler a long look next week so that he can make his case.

2 minutes ago, vincec said:

After listening to the PC, this sounds right to me too. The interesting thing is that he’s in a battle to make the team and will now probably miss the rest of preseason. So, does he make the team or not? I assume they’re going to give Butler a long look next week so that he can make his case.

I do think he will make the team. He’s a draft pick of this regime on a cheap Rookie deal and was playing well in TC.  I think butler is on the ropes. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah when talking about all the injuries as a whole he said the longest was potentially a few days to aweek or two and when asked specifically about Philips K took him saying he'd miss some time to be meaning he was in that 1-2 week window. Then again he didn't have enough info on Stevenson so who knows. We'll have a better idea on Thursday. 

35 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Adding empiricism/anecdotal thoughts to HP injury:

To all the ACLers out there, you know it never really goes away. Dings, bangs, little twists, swelling. Always 10-15% worse (temporary) than before even a successful surgery, in my view.

So:

(a) no idea re Harry specifics, but could it fall under amorphous ACL syndrome?

(b) interested to hear fr others--I know you're out there--re your ACL experience, as it might relate to Hp going forward.

Yes I twisted my knee the first time when I was 13 pulling a soccer ball out of the net leg turned foot stayed in the net.

Both coaches herd me yell.

Years later walked down the pool deck and the knee just went sideways. People in the stands were horrified. Docs said if we do the surgery know you will be laid up for 1 years plus given the recovery time.

So they did a smaller procedure to repair it had knee brace on put still swan good threpy they said. Came back stronger senior years walked to the bus to go to a soccer game and went right to the ground (dam rubber mats).

All through college and work wore a small bracelet had it cleaned up several times and 5 surgies later still very weak go it replaced and now I have never felt better and it does not burn every day like it used to.

Should have done it 30 years ago.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember on the old BBMB a lot of people saying move on from Kyle Williams when he had repeated bone spur issues in the middle of his career.  But at the same time that was a different team. This team is deep and its a hard roster to make, whether its bad luck, bad genes, weak joints whatever, availability has to factor in.

22 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

All through college and work wore a small bracelet had it cleaned up several times and 5 surgies later still very weak go it replaced

Thanks for that Scuba. Exact thing I'm trying to convey. Even w all the amazing advances in surgery (I've had 3x ACLs) it's still there.

Maybe one of our docs can clue us in re: successful surgery vs what I've termed Amorphous ACL Syndrome"...the kind of thing where "yeah, I'm good, but I keep getting the nagging nicks".

** Uhhh, I'm not a medical pro, nor claim any such expertise

17 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I remember on the old BBMB a lot of people saying move on from Kyle Williams when he had repeated bone spur issues in the middle of his career.  But at the same time that was a different team. This team is deep and its a hard roster to make, whether its bad luck, bad genes, weak joints whatever, availability has to factor in.

Agree, but the IR and practice squad rules the last two years make it a lot easier to keep players available, but let them actually recoup more from injuries. Beane and McD love to give rookies a break early or middle of the season and then have them peaking again when they start figuring out the mental part the last quarter of the season. 

They seem to have workloads pretty well organized across a season where players get chunks where they are less critical in the game plans as a way to manage snaps and workloads in a way I have not seen an nfl team do in the past (doesn’t mean it never happened).

Edited by HardyBoy

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think a lot of us really want Harry to succeed - he’s such a good dude, and when healthy, a good player.  

That said, the staff loves Zimmer, and Harry isn’t noticeably better than Butler… Love to keep all of them, but if we have to choose, you’ve got to pick the guy who stays healthy.  

100%    Harry is in his final year of his contract,...He may be gone anyways next year.   You have to play your healthy and most available players.

6 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Anyone have any clue how injury settlements work? I imagine it has to do with the specific players contract value?

Injury settlement means he is released and can sign a contract with any team except Buffalo.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right.  So what we did last year with (I believe it was) Tommy Sweeney could work.  Sweeney, who had a foot injury, was on the initial 53.

To accomodate him, we actually cut a player we truly wanted to keep, Andre Roberts, whom other teams immediately tried to sign. 

Roberts had a "gentleman's agreement" with Beane, which he honored.  As soon as the season began, Sweeney was placed on IR and Roberts was re-signed at his original contract, but with his season's salary fully guaranteed as it would have been if he'd been on the 53 man roster opening day.

I thought there may have been a little extra cash involved too.

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Even if we lose Phillips long term I'd still cut Butler and just sign the best 1tech after final cuts. Butler does nothing for me. We have Zimmer and a few DEs to spell Oliver.

So you're the BeaneBandit because if you could, you'd steal Beane's mojo and replace it with a pungent sock?

The question isn't who spells Oliver, it's who spells Lotulelei, and the answer isn't "some dude off the street that no other team wants"

We saw last year that it took Butler some time to figure out his role as a 1T in this defense .  By the end of last season he was filling it capably, so we want to throw him out and bring in some other guy who may take time to figure it out - if he can do it at all?  (remember Peko tried and got cut pretty quickly)

If there's someone they have reason to believe is better available, they will sign him - but they won't pre-emptively cut someone who has shown they can play in this system, even if they do nothing for you.

7 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Less than an hour ago, McDermott did not give this impression; many were saying it sounded like IR is coming (I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I'm going based off MLJ's tweet and others). Now this from Rapoport right away. Methinks this is coming from Phillips' agent.

I listened to McDermott's presser and I don't think he intended to give the impression IR was coming. 

He said he didn't know as much as he'd like, doctors were still reviewing films.  He said nothing "long term" as far as he knew as yet, maybe a couple of weeks.  I think his intent was to say Phillips might be on the long end and others on the short end of that. 

But of course, with these injuries there is often swelling and the trainers have to get that down before there can be a good quality MRI to tell what's really going on in there.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So you're the BeaneBandit because if you could, you'd steal Beane's mojo and replace it with a pungent sock?

The question isn't who spells Oliver, it's who spells Lotulelei, and the answer isn't "some dude off the street that no other team wants"

I listened to McDermott's presser and I don't think he intended to give the impression IR was coming.  He said he didn't know as much as he'd like, doctors were still reviewing films.  He said nothing "long term" as far as he knew as yet, maybe a couple of weeks.  I think his intent was to say Phillips might be on the long end and others on the short end of that.

It isn't Vernon Butler either, that's for sure.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right.  So what we did last year with (I believe it was) Tommy Sweeney could work.  Sweeney, who had a foot injury, was on the initial 53.

To accomodate him, we actually cut a player we truly wanted to keep, Andre Roberts, whom other teams immediately tried to sign. 

Roberts had a "gentleman's agreement" with Beane, which he honored.  As soon as the season began, Sweeney was placed on IR and Roberts was re-signed at his original contract, but with his season's salary fully guaranteed as it would have been if he'd been on the 53 man roster opening day.

That's right I remember that now.  Roberts did get a bunch of offers too.   Still surprised the Jets let him go, and now we were crazy enough to do the same thing.  All Pro kick returner in his prime.   

Anyway, I don't see where it makes sense to just cut 99 here.  He's playing well and is in good shape otherwise, give the kid one more chance here with IR and lets see if he can turn it around.  Feel so awful for the guy he has worked so hard and now this.   I'm assuming the knee brace he was wearing during the game probably saved him from being done for the year.  They say those surgically repaired knees can be 100% if rehabbed properly.   

If Willis Mcgahee can come back from his disasterous knee injury, Harry can get past this setback.