Annual Way Too Early Mock Draft '22 edition

thunderingsquid

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

LOL! 

The thing is BB that these are the plyers that I see the most of, and the ones I feel capapble of evaluating after having watched them for their entire stay in Tuscaloosa. 

Its funny sometimes you see a great player in college but flop in the NFL. I thought Tua was going to be good but he hasnt been so far.

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Its funny sometimes you see a great player in college but flop in the NFL. I thought Tua was going to be good but he hasnt been so far.

He never really recovered from the injury. I think that he will. 

I will say that almost every poster on this board said that Mac Jones would suck. Some still think this. I do not. He will never, ever be as good as Josh, but the kid is smart and he can play.

Every year before the draft I rate the Alabama players. Of course I have missed on some, but I’m usually close. Last season was easy.

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

He never really recovered from the injury. I think that he will. 

I will say that almost every poster on this board said that Mac Jones would suck. Some still think this. I do not. He will never, ever be as good as Josh, but the kid is smart and he can play.

Every year before the draft I rate the Alabama players. Of course I have missed on some, but I’m usually close. Last season was easy.

I didn't think he would be great, maybe like a Andy Dalton. It really helps on which team you go to, i think if Mac went to the jets he would suck lol

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/26/2021 at 11:12 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

Trevor Penning

Daniel Faalele 

Jarrett Patterson 

These would be my first 3 picks in the draft. I’d go hard after Brandon Scherff in FA. 

Penning  LT     Dawkins LG    Patterson/Morris  C   Scherff  RG   Brown/ Faalele RT 

We’d be set to roll big time. 

Faalele is playing now

I am enjoying a couple of extra days off after the new year holiday so I have made a start on some draft stuff today including using the PFN draft simulator (and using their draft board) for the first time this year to do a Bills mock.... here is what I came up with (it had the Bills drafting 25th). 

Round 1 - Pick 25 - Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

I believe the biggest weakness on this roster is the offensive line and if you are going to tackle offensive line in round one you do it with a guy you think can be a franchise left tackle. Penning has all the attributes to be that in my opinion, his feet are exceptional for a guy his size and while his hands can be improved that is very coachable. Slide Dion Dawkins inside to left guard, where I have always felt he could be an all-pro type player and plug Penning in opposite fellow Norther Iowa alum Spencer Brown as your bookend tackles for the next half decade. 

Round 2 - Pick 58 - Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson

The Bills have to keep stacking weapons around Josh Allen and personally I would move on from Sanders and Beasley this spring. Ross is wirey and I'm not totally sold on his ability to separate but he is a big target at 6'4, and can make contested catches. For now I think he probably represents value at this pick. How fast he runs at the combine will be instructive. 

Round 3 - TRADE! (Green Bay gets #89 and #205, Buffalo gets #92 and #170) - Pick 92 - Haskell Garrett, DT, Ohio State

I traded back 3 spots with Green Bay and swapped a 6th rounder for a 5th rounder in the process. I think one of the Bills jobs this offseason is to re-make the defensive tackle room. Who knows whether Harrison Phillips will be back, one hopes that Vernon Butler won't be and Star Lotulelei has lost his starting job in recent weeks. Add to that they are approaching decision time on Ed Oliver and I think they need to start rebuilding that unit. Garrett had an excellent year at 3tech for the Buckeyes and could come in as Oliver's backup but with one eye on potentially being his successor if the Bills do not retain him long term. 

Round 4 - Pick 129 - Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn

I think the Bills have to add depth at corner. So far they have survived Tre's injury better than I might have expected, but if either Levi or Dane were to get banged up now they face the prospect of Cam Lewis starting outside in a playoff game. I haven't seen a lot of Pritchett and think this might be a bit high for him but he was the top corner on the PFN board at the time. 

Round 5 - TRADE! (Buffalo gets #147, Chicago gets #167, #230 and a 2023 6th rounder) - Pick 147 - Emil Ekiyor, OG, Alabama

The ice was getting thin at interior offensive line so I moved up the board to select Emil Ekiyor. He has made over 30 starts for the Crimson Tide and has experience at both guard spots. Initially he'd be a swing backup but I think you could ultimately end up with a functional starter inside. 

Round 5 - TRADE! (Buffalo gets #166, Philadelphia gets #170 and #245) - Pick 166 - James Cook, RB, Georgia

I move up a few spots again to grab one of my favourite sleepers in this class, running back James Cook out of Georgia. He is a do it all back who is an able receiver out of the backfield. He comes out of a scheme that has sent numerous decent backs to the NFL and is the younger brother of Davlin Cook of the Vikings. 

Round 6 - Pick 185 - Siaki Ika, DT, Baylor

I know nothing about this kid except he is a 370lb 1 tech. That will do for me. I expect he will actually go undrafted but he was one of PFN's best remaining and I think a developmental 1 tech is a need. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am enjoying a couple of extra days off after the new year holiday so I have made a start on some draft stuff today including using the PFN draft simulator (and using their draft board) for the first time this year to do a Bills mock.... here is what I came up with (it had the Bills drafting 25th). 

Round 1 - Pick 25 - Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

I believe the biggest weakness on this roster is the offensive line and if you are going to tackle offensive line in round one you do it with a guy you think can be a franchise left tackle. Penning has all the attributes to be that in my opinion, his feet are exceptional for a guy his size and while his hands can be improved that is very coachable. Slide Dion Dawkins inside to left guard, where I have always felt he could be an all-pro type player and plug Penning in opposite fellow Norther Iowa alum Spencer Brown as your bookend tackles for the next half decade. 

Round 2 - Pick 58 - Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson

The Bills have to keep stacking weapons around Josh Allen and personally I would move on from Sanders and Beasley this spring. Ross is wirey and I'm not totally sold on his ability to separate but he is a big target at 6'4, and can make contested catches. For now I think he probably represents value at this pick. How fast he runs at the combine will be instructive. 

Round 3 - TRADE! (Green Bay gets #89 and #205, Buffalo gets #92 and #170) - Pick 92 - Haskell Garrett, DT, Ohio State

I traded back 3 spots with Green Bay and swapped a 6th rounder for a 5th rounder in the process. I think one of the Bills jobs this offseason is to re-make the defensive tackle room. Who knows whether Harrison Phillips will be back, one hopes that Vernon Butler won't be and Star Lotulelei has lost his starting job in recent weeks. Add to that they are approaching decision time on Ed Oliver and I think they need to start rebuilding that unit. Garrett had an excellent year at 3tech for the Buckeyes and could come in as Oliver's backup but with one eye on potentially being his successor if the Bills do not retain him long term. 

Round 4 - Pick 129 - Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn

I think the Bills have to add depth at corner. So far they have survived Tre's injury better than I might have expected, but if either Levi or Dane were to get banged up now they face the prospect of Cam Lewis starting outside in a playoff game. I haven't seen a lot of Pritchett and think this might be a bit high for him but he was the top corner on the PFN board at the time. 

Round 5 - TRADE! (Buffalo gets #147, Chicago gets #167, #230 and a 2023 6th rounder) - Pick 147 - Emil Ekiyor, OG, Alabama

The ice was getting thin at interior offensive line so I moved up the board to select Emil Ekiyor. He has made over 30 starts for the Crimson Tide and has experience at both guard spots. Initially he'd be a swing backup but I think you could ultimately end up with a functional starter inside. 

Round 5 - TRADE! (Buffalo gets #166, Philadelphia gets #170 and #245) - Pick 166 - James Cook, RB, Georgia

I move up a few spots again to grab one of my favourite sleepers in this class, running back James Cook out of Georgia. He is a do it all back who is an able receiver out of the backfield. He comes out of a scheme that has sent numerous decent backs to the NFL and is the younger brother of Davlin Cook of the Vikings. 

Round 6 - Pick 185 - Siaki Ika, DT, Baylor

I know nothing about this kid except he is a 370lb 1 tech. That will do for me. I expect he will actually go undrafted but he was one of PFN's best remaining and I think a developmental 1 tech is a need. 

Love the James Cook pick (but I am biased UGA fan.) He's a playmaker. Think George Pickens is a big WR with a lot of talent who may fall because of injury keeping him largely off the field. Penning is a strong choice, but we'll be picking #32 -- why not optimism, it's possible?

Took my first try at the PFN draft simulator, here's how it turned out. No trades.

25. Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa

58. Darian Kinnard OT Kentucky

89. Zach Charbonnet RB UCLA

128. Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB Texas Christian

167. Charlie Kolar TE Iowa State

185. Dontario Drummond WR Ole Miss

205. Markquese Bell S Florida A&M

232. Josh Blackwell CB Duke

245. Julius Turner DT Rutgers

On 1/5/2022 at 1:37 AM, Mark Vader said:

Took my first try at the PFN draft simulator, here's how it turned out. No trades.

Yea I basically haven't found one yet where it isn't either Penning or Linderbaum sticking out to me at #25. A long way to go but does feel like we might be in that range where the second wave of OL come off the board.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think the Bills will be looking at safety in the first three rounds. I likely think the Bills are looking at O-line, DT and DE as their top needs. I know a lot of draft capital has been sunk into the DE position but both Addision and Hughes are free agents who even if one are brought back likely won't be more than rotational players. I don't know how comfortable they are with AJ, Boogie and Groot at DE. I don't think they go DE in the top 2 rounds but in round 3 I can see them going for some depth/options. 

I think they easily go O-line in round 1 and DT in round 2. Even if they sign back Harrison I still think McD wants to get more physical up the middle and will invest draft capital into doing so. Easily can bring back Phillips and have a 2nd round DT take over Butler's rotational snaps. 

On 1/4/2022 at 5:37 PM, Mark Vader said:

I did the same thing no trades, my results were. I think the Bills go O-line heavy and then defense heavy in the rounds 3-6. They have to know they need to protect Josh better.

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.21.09 AM.png

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.