Too early to look at punters?

Beerball

There were probably threads last year about this time stating the same thing about Bass.

WRT Haack the punter, I think the Bills moved on from Bojo for three reasons;

He was asking for more money than they wanted to pay him

Maybe they did get close on $$, but then he wanted a shorter deal and the Bills wanted a longer commitment from him

He was shaky on holding

While I agree with you on the punting was less than stellar I can't help but wonder if the Bills were willing to give up some yards on punting in exchange for better holds on kicks.  The way this offense looks there's maybe more kicking opportunities than punts.  Seems more games are won/lost on made/missed FG's than a long punt return.  They do happen, but not as much as the field goals.  Plus seems like Haack's issue is distance, not hang time so yeah maybe some yards are given up, but little in returns.

I'll also add at this point, Bass has developed good timing with him so would be real hesitant to mess with that as now would be starting over with much less time to both get up to speed and on the same page.

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There were probably threads last year about this time stating the same thing about Bass.

WRT Haack the punter, I think the Bills moved on from Bojo for three reasons;

He was asking for more money than they wanted to pay him

Maybe they did get close on $$, but then he wanted a shorter deal and the Bills wanted a longer commitment from him

He was shaky on holding

While I agree with you on the punting was less than stellar I can't help but wonder if the Bills were willing to give up some yards on punting in exchange for better holds on kicks.  The way this offense looks there's maybe more kicking opportunities than punts.  Seems more games are won/lost on made/missed FG's than a long punt return.  They do happen, but not as much as the field goals.  Plus seems like Haack's issue is distance, not hang time so yeah maybe some yards are given up, but little in returns.

I'll also add at this point, Bass has developed good timing with him so would be real hesitant to mess with that as now would be starting over with much less time to both get up to speed and on the same page.

Agree with this.  I re-watched a fair number of Bills games from last season on game pass.  Regarding Bojo last year, he missed quite a few chances to pin the opponent inside the 20.  This may be another reason why they changed punters.

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Agree with this.  I re-watched a fair number of Bills games from last season on game pass.  Regarding Bojo last year, he missed quite a few chances to pin the opponent inside the 20.  This may be another reason why they changed punters.

That was the primary reason he was released. People tend to overlook the fact that each touchback is akin to a twenty yard shift in field position.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

You could tell Bass was practicing directional kicks, so Haack was probably practicing something specific. If I recall, Haack isn't a boomer like Bojo, but he’s more known for good accuracy on his kicks.

That is what I was wondering . Haack was pretty good vs. Detroit. 

7 hours ago, Beerball said:

I don't want to go all @stevestojan about this, but Haack was pretty brutal yesterday.  Should Beane bring in some fresh legs to look at?

It is like when you are married of course you can l👀k but you need to be careful with communications 👄 and testing is no no. :devil:

it would be good to see him behind normal protection not players who will be cut.

There are lots of film including live games at Bills stadium for Bills to judge if he is a good punter.

I don’t even care if he can only punt it 30 yds. We’re not punting but maybe 30 times this year. I want someone that can catch and hold that long snap because that’s what our punter is going to be paid for this year. It’s 30 punts to more than 70 extra points and field goals. Instead of listing him as a punter, I’d change it to holder and let people wonder who the punter is. 

7 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I'm still trying to figure out why Cory B is gone.   I thought he was fine, maybe a little pricey but nothing that wasn't manageable.  Beane may have missed on this one.

Because Bojo couldn’t hold. 

• Like (+1) 1

Haack is excellent at putting the ball inside the 20, both directionally and with hang time for fair catches. I think this was a focus of the FO, knowing the offense was going to move the ball, having a punter who could pin the other team deep was more important than having someone who could kick it 70 yds out of the back of the EZ (that being said, at the 2nd open practice haack did have one kick from the back of the EZ to the other 35 - he is certainly also capable of letting one loose as well). 

If anything i think he becomes a big positive for the team this year.

For one, he has a knack for pinning the ball inside the 20. Haack has done so 114 times in his four-year career and holds the single-season record for the Miami Dolphins doing it 34 times in 2018

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/how-punter-matt-haack-plans-to-use-his-versatility-in-buffalo

Edited by stevewin