Too early to look at punters?

Beerball

Haack looked great in Detroit.  His first punt yesterday had a lot of pressure on him (I remember the announcer talked about it almost being blocked).

His second was at the 1 yard line in the end zone.  He took a "one step" kick to avoid a block and did it fairly well.

I guess fans need to panic about something but he is an established veteran punter.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Beerball said:

I don't want to go all @stevestojan about this, but Haack was pretty brutal yesterday.  Should Beane bring in some fresh legs to look at?

Thank you, Suds. Easily our Worst player with a ‘starting’ position. Laughed at him in Miami, dread that he’s a Bill. There HAS to be someone better!

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Georgie said:

I don't think there are any suitable replacements available YET. After the final cuts, take a look.  I'm no punting expert; is there anything the ST coach,Farwell,could be doing with scheme,etc. that affects Haack?

You could tell Bass was practicing directional kicks, so Haack was probably practicing something specific. If I recall, Haack isn't a boomer like Bojo, but he’s more known for good accuracy on his kicks.

29 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thank you, Suds. Easily our Worst player with a ‘starting’ position. Laughed at him in Miami, dread that he’s a Bill. There HAS to be someone better!

I looked up Haack's splits when we signed him because I kind of thought the same thing.

It's funny but some of his worse days were against the Bills.  But he is a pretty good punter.

He had 1 blocked punt that I watched against the Pats* in 2018.  He didn't have a chance on the kick.

The 22:25 mark.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fg1LfX9If0

The way I think that Beane and McDermott are thinking is he doesn't need to kick deep with the Bills offense.

He should be kicking balls needing to get inside the 20 with good hang time and no returns.

Like I said he had some bad games against Buffalo.

Here is his splits.

https://www.nfl.com/players/matt-haack/stats/splits/

• Like (+1) 1