Happy Birthday Paul Maguire

In 1986 the Jets were 10-1 & Maguire was on the NBC pregame show & declared the Jets wouldn't win another game that season.  They lost their final 5 games, but eventually won their wild card game before losing in the next round.  Every week during the season Maguire got in an I told you so as the Jets kept losing to end the season 10-6.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

In 1986 the Jets were 10-1 & Maguire was on the NBC pregame show & declared the Jets wouldn't win another game that season.  They lost their final 5 games, but eventually won their wild card game before losing in the next round.  Every week during the season Maguire got in an I told you so as the Jets kept losing to end the season 10-6.  

I remember the episode clearly, he was getting all kinds of hate mail and threats, etc every week.  I also recall after stating every week they'd lose their regular season game, in the Wild card game he reversed himself and predicted they'd win and they did.

I was actually recalling that whole thing not that long ago, but the one little detail I didn't remember at all was that it was Paul McGuire.  I was thinking all along it was Jimmy the Greek who was the CBS guy back then.

50 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

IIRC, they beat Cleveland in the playoffs in OT. But Maguire was correct in his bold statement for the rest of the Regular Season. Imo, He was also the heir apparent to Art Donovan for relating very humorous antidotes from his playing days. Only player to win 3 consecutive AFL Titles (1 with SD, 2 with us).

Happy Birthday, Paul! Thanks for the memories! #55 

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

IIRC, they beat Cleveland in the playoffs in OT. But Maguire was correct in his bold statement for the rest of the Regular Season. Imo, He was also the heir apparent to Art Donovan for relating very humorous antidotes from his playing days. Only player to win 3 consecutive AFL Titles (1 with SD, 2 with us).

Happy Birthday, Paul! Thanks for the memories! #55 

Actually, they lost to Cleveland in OT to end their playoff run.  The prior week they beat KC in the wild card game.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

When I was a 727 captain, had him on a flight from Fort Myers to Raleigh to Buffalo.

On the flight from Ft. Myers to Raleigh, a young harried mom had an infant who screamed the entire flight, irritating some other passengers nearby, who exhibited irritation towards the mom, who had tried her hardest to hardest to quiet the child.

It turns out that both this wonderful mom and her kid were going on to Buffalo, as was Maguire.

In Raleigh, Paul paid to upgrade the mom and her infant to first class.

The baby slept the entire way.

I had no idea this had happened until a flight attendant told me, and I had no idea he was aboard until she pointed out the nice guy that did that as they were leaving.

Of course I recognized him.

Judge people by how they treat people when nobody is watching.

Just a really nice guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

Does anyone recall how it happened that Maguire went from the Chargers to the Bills?  Did we trade for him?

The mid-60s Bills were a great TEAM that played for each other.  I think Maguire's presence in that locker room was probably a key to that camaraderie.  

Edited by Utah John

27 minutes ago, sherpa said:

When I was a 727 captain, had him on a flight from Fort Myers to Raleigh to Buffalo.

On the flight from Ft. Myers to Raleigh, a young harried mom had an infant who screamed the entire flight, irritating some other passengers nearby, who exhibited irritation towards the mom, who had tried her hardest to hardest to quiet the child.

It turns out that both this wonderful mom and her kid were going on to Buffalo, as was Maguire.

In Raleigh, Paul paid to upgrade the mom and her infant to first class.

The baby slept the entire way.

I had no idea this had happened until a flight attendant told me, and I had no idea he was aboard until she pointed out the nice guy that did that as they were leaving.

Of course I recognized him.

Judge people by how they treat people when nobody is watching.

Just a really nice guy.

Nice story about Maguire.  I'm not surprised.

What also caught my attention was that there was a direct flight from Raleigh to Buffalo.  I don't live in Buffalo anymore but for years it's seemed like you couldn't fly directly from Buffalo to anywhere except Chicago and few other major hubs.  Buffalo is a great place to live but the lack of direct flights is a negative for the city.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Does anyone recall how it happened that Maguire went from the Chargers to the Bills?  Did we trade for him?

The mid-60s Bills were a great TEAM that played for each other.  I think Maguire's presence in that locker room was probably a key to that camaraderie.  

@Utah John

Chargers cut him after winning the League Title in ‘63. Saban called him and brought him to Buffalo.

https://www.buffalobills.com/audio/paul-maguire-on-his-best-moments-on-and-off-the-field

23 minutes ago, Utah John said:

What also caught my attention was that there was a direct flight from Raleigh to Buffalo.  I don't live in Buffalo anymore but for years it's seemed like you couldn't fly directly from Buffalo to anywhere except Chicago and few other major hubs.  Buffalo is a great place to live but the lack of direct flights is a negative for the city.  

Raleigh was a major hub for American in the 80's.

The Buffalo market has declined dramatically since the 70's.

Used to be a DC10 from Chicago in the early evening.

Now it's basically regional jets.

Edited by sherpa

26 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Nice story about Maguire.  I'm not surprised.

yeah, interesting bc so many WNYers in NC now.  strange I guess or perhaps now 30-40 years later people from the mass out migration of the 70's and 80's simply moved on and no reason to go back.  the flights would be there if there was demand