Trubisky trade value?

Chaos

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

A 3rd or 4th round comp pick next year would be wonderful but I don't see it happening.   Getting a comp pick depends upon the application of a NFL secret formula, which balances the number and quality of free agents moving ONTO and FROM a team.  We are in a poor position there.

The Bills are a top team with a good karma right now.  Free agents like to to go a winning team for a lot of reasons.  They get a chance at the post season and more money.  They get a chance at the post season and bragging rights for life.  They get a better resume with this on their record.  They look better to teams for future moves because they are surrounded by better players.  They have a better idea how they will fit into a stable team situation.

So the Bills can get a lot of quality free agents to come to Buffalo and have a lot of quality players and starters wanting to stay with the team. (Just look at how many potential FA's resigned with Buffalo on one year deals!)  We pick up more FA than we lose.  We have to release a lot of quality players as they get pushed out- but released players are not part of that draft pick compensation game.

Another factor is from the "waiver wire" pickups, during they year and during the roster cut-down events.  We are way at the bottom of that list, so any gem that other teams have to unload, get picked over by 29 other teams.  (after the first 3 games in 2022, it is by current W/L record).  We are unlikely to be able to use this method very well for that reason- so there is more going to happen from picking up top notch FA's.

It would be nice, but I don't think we should count on getting anything from losing Trubisky as a valuable FA next year.

Correct on the secret formula.  But next year's FA period hasn't even happened yet.  It's possible that if MT gets a big deal and moves on, Beane plays the comp pick game to get a 3rd. 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, Chaos said:

Mitch Trubisky seems to be playing at a mid-range starting QB level.  He is young and has the measurables that led to him being a first round pick? What could the Bills get for him in a trade? Does the level of potential compensation warrant making a trade? 

Trubisky’s value to the Bills this season will be greater than anything we’ll get back in a trade. Especially if Allen isnt vaccinated. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

When was the last time it happened?  And the biggest problem for a contending team is they'll be close to the cap and his cap hit will be too big to absorb mid-season. 

Mid season it be like 12 million… very easy to manipulate the cap space for that.  

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Qb record isn't a real Stat though.  He's also 24-8, not 38-12.  He's never had a particularly impressive statistical year, and the offense was at its most effective when they ran the ball.  

Not according to every stat site I could find. They say 38-12, but that’s moot. He also has a HC who tries put a square peg into a round hole, a good coach calls a game to his teams and QBs strengths.Yes I think Shanahan is a meh coach.  (I mean he was responsible for two of the largest collapses in the SB history)

19 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Mid season it be like 12 million… very easy to manipulate the cap space for that.  

Not according to every stat site I could find. They say 38-12, but that’s moot. He also has a HC who tries put a square peg into a round hole, a good coach calls a game to his teams and QBs strengths.Yes I think Shanahan is a meh coach.  (I mean he was responsible for two of the largest collapses in the SB history)

Um … 24-8 is staring you in the face here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaroJi00.htm

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

No. Because if he signs next year a starter you're getting a 3rd or 4th as a comp pick anyway 

You do not automatically get a pick.  It depends on number and quality of free agents you sign.

He may have a no trade clause anyways considering purpose of signing and small amount he signed for.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:25 PM, cle23 said:

Trubisky would sign the franchise tag so fast and Buffalo would be screwed. Paying top 5 money for 2 QBs? And who would trade for him at that pay?

That’s what I’m saying. The trouble is, there isn’t a contract we can sign him for that will work for both. He will obviously like a chance to be a number 1, but we can’t pay any more than back up money. He’s pretty much as good as gone. 

9 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Yeah, doubtful at best.  $1.25M is far more doable… ;)

Edited by Doc

It's a PA heavy offense that limits the qb exposure.  And he hasn't played enough games to be 38-12. In a year where the cap went down 12 mil is a lot. And no ones trading for him next year when he probably gets released

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

A SB QB v a QB that was a Bust in Chicago? Hmmm let me see which one would be easier to sell to the fan base… hmmm lol

Kinda like saying I'd rather have Trent Dilfer since he "won" a SuperBowl?  Garoppolo is a a heavily flawed QB and would not do well without a running game and top defense.

A SB QB v a QB that was a Bust in Chicago? Hmmm let me see which one would be easier to sell to the fan base… hmmm lol

And yet the 49’ers are/have been trying to get rid of the “SB QB”…hmmm lol 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/27/2021 at 3:18 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Because he is the best QB2 in the league, adding he will be a starter again after Bills. Also because he would be best chance to help win some of those games while QB1 is out.

You really think Trubisky is the best backup in the league? After 1 preseason? He was a below average starter who has had a good preseason.  I think he'd have trouble breaking a top 10 of backups in the league.

Edited by cle23
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

You really think Trubisky is the best backup in the league? After 1 preseason? He was a below average starter who has had a good preseason.  I think he'd have trouble breaking a top 10 of backups in the league.

Ryan Fitzpatrick win/loss.  67 wins, 97 losses as a starter

Mitch Trubisky. 29 wins, 22 losses

What makes you think a winning QB as a starter is a below average backup? The one preseason game showed the Bears organization the mistake they just made IMO. Same mistake the Dolphins made and now the Titans have what some might consider a franchise QB. Ever think the coaching/system might make the difference between success and failure as a QB?

From one season to the next high round draft choices may backup another signal caller as they adjust and develop into the system/NFL. So saying Trubisky is the best backup in the NFL at this point in time also remains to be seen IMO. Myself personally, Daboll can turn Trubisky into a franchise QB like he was meant to be when the Bears drafted him IMO. Time will tell...

(On a side note I hope the Pegulas can find a way to keep Brian Daboll happy here in Buffalo)

Edited by Figster
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, cle23 said:

Yes I do. And has nothing to do with preseason. Although he did look good. I'm not in any way basing my opinion off that. He's an experienced QB that was a starter until now and could still be a starter on some teams. 

Regarding the bold, name those 10 back up QBs that you think is better.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yes I do. And has nothing to do with preseason. Although he did look good. I'm not in any way basing my opinion off that. He's an experienced QB that was a starter until now and could still be a starter on some teams. 

Regarding the bold, name those 10 back up QBs that you think is better.

Trey Lance

Minshew

Mariota 

Keenum

Lock would be close 

Fields/Dalton

Brissett

Mac Jones and Jordan Love are unproven, so it's hard to say, but 95% of teams would take them over Trubisky. 

Trubisky is a decent QB, but he's not good either. Judy an average guy,  which is OK as a backup. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Trey Lance

Minshew

Mariota 

Keenum

Lock would be close 

Fields/Dalton

Brissett

Mac Jones and Jordan Love are unproven, so it's hard to say, but 95% of teams would take them over Trubisky. 

Trubisky is a decent QB, but he's not good either. Judy an average guy,  which is OK as a backup. 

LOL!  All of them are worse except for Lance who, like Fields, Jones and Love, are unproven. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Trey Lance

Minshew

Mariota 

Keenum

Lock would be close 

Fields/Dalton

Brissett

Ok, so you named rookies that are unknowns. Rest of the list in no way I would take over Mitch right now as a QB2. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc said:

LOL!  All of them are worse except for Lance who, like Fields, Jones and Love, are unproven. 

See, I disagree. Most of them have played better when given the chance than Trubisky.  Maybe Trubisky turned a corner in Buffalo, but that's hard to say after a couple preseason games. 

And yes, the rookies are unproven, but most them also played pretty well this preseason. 

The veterans have proven to be good players. Keenum led the Vikings to a 13-3 record in few years ago. Minshew was a good QB on a garbage Jacksonville team. Mariota has been a good starter. Lock may or may not be, he honestly is very similar to Trubisky of showing flashes but never putting it all together. 

Trubisky is a good backup. I just don't feel after 1 preseason you can anoint him the best backup in the league. He may prove me wrong. 

I think people forget that Trubisky has looked good at times over his first few seasons. I remember alot of us comparing Josh to Mitch hoping that he could make that kind of jump in year two. For whatever reason, he never grew anymore after that year 2 jump. Was it coaching, was it the player? Who knows. He looks like an adequate backup(upgrade over Barkley) that will be very useful for us on game days if Josh gets banged up. His value is really high to us, especially at only 2.5mil. Would have to be one hell of an offer to trade him away.