Trubisky trade value?

Chaos

On 8/25/2021 at 2:45 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I mean it's possible, but I don't see it. I don't see a team making an offer any better than a 4th or maybe late 3rd. Obviously I'm not in Beane's head, but it would not be enough for me to consider.

Mitch is the best QB2 in the league and the best insurance you could have. He definitely can win some games for you if needed, especially with the surrounding cast the Bills now have.

No way I'd lose that type of insurance, especially coming into a season that the team is primed for a Super Bowl

I don't think he'll be traded, but I think we'll see more Webb in the next game. Fromm looks pretty bad, but if there was even a possibility of trading Trubisky, they would likely need more confidence in Webb.

I think they may showcase Trubisky, just to guage interest. What will it hurt?

11 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

We couldn’t afford that though, can you franchise some you don’t have the cap to keep?

Trubisky would sign the franchise tag so fast and Buffalo would be screwed. Paying top 5 money for 2 QBs? And who would trade for him at that pay?

20 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

It depends on what the situation is with said team that would determine how high or low the offer would be imo.  For example, if a team loses their QB for 8 to 10 weeks and if that team is contending. I could see a team that's in good shape like that making a better than normal offer in hopes MT can get them through til said QB comes back.I do agree though a 2nd would be unlikely. 

In any event Mitch isn't going anywhere. 

Why would Mitch be a good option for a team in that situation?  That team would want someone whose walked into similar situations before.  Foles, Fitzpatrick, Mariota, Dalton, etc. would all be better options and cost basically nothing.  Even if they have less potential overall, they can handle walking into a new team and getting up to speed quickly.  Mitch hasn't exactly shown himself to be a quick study.  He's a good fit for his current role.

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

Why would Mitch be a good option for a team in that situation?  That team would want someone whose walked into similar situations before.  Foles, Fitzpatrick, Mariota, Dalton, etc. would all be better options and cost basically nothing.  Even if they have less potential overall, they can handle walking into a new team and getting up to speed quickly.  Mitch hasn't exactly shown himself to be a quick study.  He's a good fit for his current role.

Because he is the best QB2 in the league, adding he will be a starter again after Bills. Also because he would be best chance to help win some of those games while QB1 is out.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

8 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Because he is the best QB2 in the league, adding he will be a starter again after Bills. Also because he would be best chance to help win some of those games while QB1 is out.

He is a fine backup in his current situation because he's had a full off-season to study the playbook.  Nothing he's ever done suggests that he could take over a 6-2 Green Bay team if Rodgers breaks his collarbone and go 4-4.  There are better options for a team in that position.  Rivers or Fitz would be great options.  Trubisky isn't the guy who comes to anyone's mind when looking for a guy who can learn the basics of brand a new offense in a week.  He may have higher long term upside, but that doesn't matter to a team looking for a plug and play guy as a bandaid.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

He is a fine backup in his current situation because he's had a full off-season to study the playbook.  Nothing he's ever done suggests that he could take over a 6-2 Green Bay team if Rodgers breaks his collarbone and go 4-4.  There are better options for a team in that position.  Rivers or Fitz would be great options.  Trubisky isn't the guy who comes to anyone's mind when looking for a guy who can learn the basics of brand a new offense in a week.  He may have higher long term upside, but that doesn't matter to a team looking for a plug and play guy as a bandaid.

I'm not sure we are on same page here....First off, Rivers is not a back up nor ever will be, also retired. Second, we been down that road with Fitz. I only suggesting as of now that, imo at least, Mitch gives you the best chance to win enough games til the Starting QB returns. If team has strong surrounding cast then it helps the chances more.

Mitch had a good season and others I think were average. But the Bears team didn't have the best surrounding players with Mitch either. Most were about average.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm not sure we are on same page here....First off, Rivers is not a back up nor ever will be, also retired. Second, we been down that road with Fitz. I only suggesting as of now that, imo at least, Mitch gives you the best chance to win enough games til the Starting QB returns. If team has strong surrounding cast then it helps the chances more.

Mitch had a good season and others I think were average. But the Bears team didn't have the best surrounding players with Mitch either. Most were about average.

The surrounding cast is huge for Mitch. People seem to think he had good players around him in Chicago and we saw what they do against our back ups. Mitch was their best offensive player the past 3 years and got them into the playoffs twice. Give the guy his due he is better than Tyrod by a shade.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

The surrounding cast is huge for Mitch. People seem to think he had good players around him in Chicago and we saw what they do against our back ups. Mitch was their best offensive player the past 3 years and got them into the playoffs twice. Give the guy his due he is better than Tyrod by a shade.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm not sure why you quoted me lol. Unless got posts mixed up? anyway, yeah I agree

On 8/26/2021 at 3:32 PM, dneveu said:

He's played substantially fewer games than Trubisky, is 30, and will cost a team 25 million dollars for a single year.  He's missed 23 games over the last 3 years due to injury.  His playoff numbers are also a tad suspect.  

His healthy season - the 49ers had the #2 defense in yards, and 6th in takeaways with 5 defensive scores.  They're also a heavy run team with the shanahan offense.  He's a fit in certain offenses, but i don't think he's capable of taking a spot from a rookie or something like that - I'd say he's maybe a slight upgrade over mitch in certain offenses, but i'd probably put him on par with minshew.

He is 38-12 as a starter a .750 win clip.  He came in to the 49ers team that was bad and won his first 5 games.  Teams want that winner especially if they are that close and lose their star QB for the season. Say like the Cowboys, or Packers, etc.  the draft picks mean nothing when your in win now mode.. (Pats we’re that for like 10 years) Heck I bet if he went to NE (and he was healthy) the Pats win 13 to 14 games because he was built for that style O. (Also team only responsible for the prorated portion of his contract)

3 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm not sure why you quoted me lol. Unless got posts mixed up? anyway, yeah I agree

Grabbed the wrong post- sorry. I saw yours and then meant to grab someone else's post. Yeah I agree with you obviously.

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

He is 38-12 as a starter a .750 win clip.  He came in to the 49ers team that was bad and won his first 5 games.  Teams want that winner especially if they are that close and lose their star QB for the season. Say like the Cowboys, or Packers, etc.  the draft picks mean nothing when your in win now mode.. (Pats we’re that for like 10 years) Heck I bet if he went to NE (and he was healthy) the Pats win 13 to 14 games because he was built for that style O. (Also team only responsible for the prorated portion of his contract)

That's because he replaced career backups in Hoyer and Beathard (who was also a rookie at the time), his defense held teams to 16 or fewer points in 3 of those games, and the other 2 were against weak teams. 

But the idea of trading anything worthwhile for, and paying a lot of money to, him given his injury history is a stretch at best.  He's missed almost 43% of the games for which he was eligible during his time with the 49'ers, not to mention several games after starting just 2 with the Cheaters in 2016.  As they say, the best ability is availability.

56 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's because he replaced career backups in Hoyer and Beathard (who was also a rookie at the time), his defense held teams to 16 or fewer points in 3 of those games, and the other 2 were against weak teams. 

But the idea of trading anything worthwhile for, and paying a lot of money to, him given his injury history is a stretch at best.  He's missed almost 43% of the games for which he was eligible during his time with the 49'ers, not to mention several games after starting just 2 with the Cheaters in 2016.  As they say, the best ability is availability.

I say a team will do it. They always do! Always one team out there make that crazy trade… especially if there starter goes on IR early and they have SB dreams. 

mind you time will tell, because I am 95% sure Jimmy G is on a new team before the deadline this year. I also don’t see any other WB of his caliber being offered… 

12 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I say a team will do it. They always do! Always one team out there make that crazy trade… especially if there starter goes on IR early and they have SB dreams. 

mind you time will tell, because I am 95% sure Jimmy G is on a new team before the deadline this year. I also don’t see any other WB of his caliber being offered… 

When was the last time it happened?  And the biggest problem for a contending team is they'll be close to the cap and his cap hit will be too big to absorb mid-season. 

I didn't read the whole thread but I would definitely not trade Trubisky. If Josh has to miss a few games for injuries or Covid reasons, remember injuries are not an uncommon thing in football, we would still have excellent chances of winning with our current backup which would not be the case with the other 2 QB's on our roster.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:28 PM, Chaos said:

Trubisky is clearly the best BU QB options the Bills will have for 2021. Trubisky will likely be gone to be a starter after this season.  If someone offered a second (price for Garapollo paid by the 49ers), would the long term benefit of the second be worth trading? 

No. Because if he signs next year a starter you're getting a 3rd or 4th as a comp pick anyway 

On 8/22/2021 at 3:39 PM, Chaos said:

The point of the thread is not to advocate trading Trubisky.  Reading comprehension is an important skill.  Its a hypothetical question.  I am certain that Beane has already thought of his response if he is asked.   I doubt seriously his response would be "Holy *****, didn't think of that, during free agency no one wanted him."  

Grow up. 

A 3rd or 4th round comp pick next year would be wonderful but I don't see it happening.   Getting a comp pick depends upon the application of a NFL secret formula, which balances the number and quality of free agents moving ONTO and FROM a team.  We are in a poor position there.

The Bills are a top team with a good karma right now.  Free agents like to to go a winning team for a lot of reasons.  They get a chance at the post season and more money.  They get a chance at the post season and bragging rights for life.  They get a better resume with this on their record.  They look better to teams for future moves because they are surrounded by better players.  They have a better idea how they will fit into a stable team situation.

So the Bills can get a lot of quality free agents to come to Buffalo and have a lot of quality players and starters wanting to stay with the team. (Just look at how many potential FA's resigned with Buffalo on one year deals!)  We pick up more FA than we lose.  We have to release a lot of quality players as they get pushed out- but released players are not part of that draft pick compensation game.

Another factor is from the "waiver wire" pickups, during they year and during the roster cut-down events.  We are way at the bottom of that list, so any gem that other teams have to unload, get picked over by 29 other teams.  (after the first 3 games in 2022, it is by current W/L record).  We are unlikely to be able to use this method very well for that reason- so there is more going to happen from picking up top notch FA's.

It would be nice, but I don't think we should count on getting anything from losing Trubisky as a valuable FA next year.

11 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Qb record isn't a real Stat though.  He's also 24-8, not 38-12.  He's never had a particularly impressive statistical year, and the offense was at its most effective when they ran the ball.