Trubisky trade value?

Chaos

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

A simple eye test demonstrates Nagy was the bigger problem that Trubisky.  So this is a legit topic.  Please feel free to sit it out. 

Why would the Bills trade him? The whole idea is to have an NFL QB ready to step in if Allen gets hurt. A team with Super Bowl aspirations doesn't want to run Webb or Fromm out there,especially for extended period. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Why is this a topic?  Not a chance in a year we are expected to challenge for a SB we are entering the season with Webb or Fromm as our backups.  And our offense is too complicated to add another QB after a proposed trade of Mitch.

Nothing is ever 0% chance, but this is as close to 0% chance as I can think of.  It makes literally zero football sense.  We already have a stacked roster, its not about adding more pieces later, its about winning this year.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Why is this a topic?  Not a chance in a year we are expected to challenge for a SB we are entering the season with Webb or Fromm as our backups.  And our offense is too complicated to add another QB after a proposed trade of Mitch.

Nothing is ever 0% chance, but this is as close to 0% chance as I can think of.  It makes literally zero football sense.  We already have a stacked roster, its not about adding more pieces later, its about winning this year.  

Won't we also get a comp pick for him?

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

He took less money to come to Buffalo and tutor under Daboll.

This is not true. Trubisky has openly admitted that he wanted a starting job this year but wasn't offered one. Buffalo was simply the best backup job available. I have never heard that he took less money to come here. And I'm not 100% sure sitting on the bench in Buffalo for a year means that teams will be chomping at the bit to sign him as a potential starter next year. I think this board as a whole is really overrating Trubisky's value in the league.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Y’all watched Webb and Fromm out there, then still ask this question?

This. 

With the way Allen plays, I think the Bills will always be in the market for a top notch backup, IMO. 

Who else would you trust to go .500 in the event an injury happens besides Trubisky who is entirely capable of running this offense? Fromm & Webb are 3rd string camp bodies at best. Trubisky isn't worth the 4th rounder he most likely would command, anyways. Best keep the roster the way it is and hopefully sign him to a top-level backup deal after the season. 

• Agree 2

Beane wants to win this year, hence Trubisky on a one-year deal, but he's got his sights on a dynasty.  Who's the long-term backup?  Fromm is here on a cheap rookie contract for a few more years.  Can he turn into the solid backup we need?  If we lose Fromm this year, and Trubisky leaves next year, Beane is back to square one for backup QB next year, unless Davis has more than we've seen so far.  

This is sort of a first-world problem, isn't it?  For decades we were so much more worried about our starting QB.  I am enjoying the hell out of this.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

If some team offers a first for MT, I'll take it even if it means the backup QB position is downgraded. 

Bingo.

We absolutely should do this should the opportunity present itself. If not, then try to re-sign him longer term if he is willing - which I doubt he's willing.

I love the idea of the Kelly/Reich tandem. Doesn't work for me for one year though.

Two things on why we should not trade Trubisky.

1.  If he does well and signs a big contract elsewhere, we get a compensatory pick.  That can be as high as the end of the third round.  This is based upon the size of the contract.  Considering the money that QBs get, the compensatory pick should be high.  We will also be up against the cap and won't be signing many players from other teams to offset that.  Of course, if someone comes with a first round pick, I would consider it, but that is not going to happen.

2.  Don't go down the road of, "we can't win the SB with Trubisky anyway."  That is not what he is about.  His presence on the team is about home field advantage.  If he has to fill in for Allen for a three game stretch, he could be the difference in home field in the playoffs if he picks up a few wins.

Edited by Long Suffering Fan

11 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Not trading Trubisky unless  a 1st and capable QB iare offered…..  you trade him, What happens if Allen blows his knee?

If Allen blows out his knee then the season is officially over. Maybe they squeeze into a wildcard loss on the strength of the defense, but that's it. If it's for 3-5 games then obviously it's still salvageable. *Knock on wood*

4 hours ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

I could see us getting a 3rd round pick for him once someone like Tua gets hurt halfway through the season, or even to WFT when they get tired of Pick-Patrick.  Question is, would we even make a deal with Miami?

Go Bills!!!!!

I'd rather keep Mitch for the season and get a third in the end anyway as a compensatory pick.

• Agree 2

Don’t believe we’d trade him at this point.  If down the road, a team is in dire need of a QB, maybe we would work out a deal then.

I would think Trubinsky would be consulted on a trade regardless.  He did pick the Bills and I could see Beane working with him.

All that being said.  Need to keep him.  Fromm has showed nothing.  Webb  looked decent last week,  not so much this week.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is not true. Trubisky has openly admitted that he wanted a starting job this year but wasn't offered one. Buffalo was simply the best backup job available. I have never heard that he took less money to come here. And I'm not 100% sure sitting on the bench in Buffalo for a year means that teams will be chomping at the bit to sign him as a potential starter next year. I think this board as a whole is really overrating Trubisky's value in the league.

Half true. I haven't seen the less money thing either, but Daboll was a factor:  

Trubisky: Coach Daboll definitely made it very attractive to come here in the conversations I was having with him, how he plays to his quarterback's strengths, no matter if it's Josh in there or somebody else. He says he's going to call the game to the quarterback's strengths and allow his playmakers to get open and make plays. From being able to observe from afar and see the kinds of things that they were doing in this offense and how they were putting up prolific numbers, they've got great playmakers across the board and have a great offensive line. It was just something that was attractive to me and something I wanted to be a part of. ... It just seemed like a great offense to be a part of and learn from. It's been awesome picking that up schematically since I got here.

• Like (+1) 1