My Suprise cut... Matt Brieda

Mat68

15 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I strongly disagree. 
You are looking at his value all wrong. 
When our starting offense is out there, and we run 4 receiver sets or 3 receiver and tight end, Breida is a huge mismatch out there, a 5 yard swing pass or checkdown can be a homerun.  Our offense spreads out a ton. We are not doing that in preseason. If you want Breida to run 15-20 times a game and grind out some yards he’s not the one. But isn’t that what motor and moss are for? Breida in an ideal setup is getting 15 maybe 20 snaps and 4-5 touches. Change of pace. Homerun potential. 
Nobody else on this offense is a bigger threat to make a cut and be gone. 

I agree with all of what you said and I do think Breida makes the team.

However, I'm not so sure Breida is active on game days.

DS

Moss

T Jones

I can't see the bills dressing 4 backs and I think Breida may be the TJ yeldon where he's inactive on game days.

Could be wrong 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mat68 said:

In shorts and shells Brieda is great.  Put on pads, slop up some lanes and he is not as good.  On paper he is the fastest rb.  Unless you scheme up the perfect play I dont see it.  San Fran and Miami both run heavy teams moved on.  Call me crazy but if Williams comes back before game 3 cut Brieda and keep Williams.  

Dude, every time you post, you get flamed! I admire defiance in the face of facts. 👍

16 hours ago, Mat68 said:

In shorts and shells Brieda is great.  Put on pads, slop up some lanes and he is not as good.  On paper he is the fastest rb.  Unless you scheme up the perfect play I dont see it.  San Fran and Miami both run heavy teams moved on.  Call me crazy but if Williams comes back before game 3 cut Brieda and keep Williams.  

I'm going to sort of agree with you that Breida could be cut, but for completely different reasons.

Earlier this offseason, I posited that considering the similarities between Motor, and Moss (with Moss being far better in pass pro), Breida being the speed guy, and Williams being the closest thing to a power back, that Motor could be the odd-man-out surprise cut. But, of course, now that we have seen Motor in the preseason, and TC, and the improvements he has made, it's safe to assume that he is basically a lock. Moss's pass pro makes him a lock. And as for Williams, considering the way we just saw 240lb Reggie Gilliam pound the rock in on third and short, and at the goal line, I'd say we likely have our answer for those situations.

Breida did look rather pedestrian yesterday. He was also running behind the worst of our O-line depth. But, when he did get a decent block, we all saw his speed, and the quick gains he can make. He's not a lock by any means, and certainly looks to be third on the depth chart. With Gilliam getting a unique role on this offense, he makes Williams fairly redundant. And don't forget Taiwan Jones. He likely makes this roster, as well. 

They may decide there isn't room for Breida, but it won't be in leiu of Williams. Breida offers speed-- something McD/Beane covet. Gilliam offers versatility, which they also covet. Williams doesn't offer anything they don't have in the players in front of him.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

DS

Moss

T Jones

I can't see the bills dressing 4 backs and I think Breida may be the TJ yeldon where he's inactive on game days.

Could be wrong 

I don’t think you’re wrong with a caveat.  It’s going to be game plan specific. There are going to be teams we face where McD see a more traditional 4-3 base defense, and maybe they’ve targeted in that game it’s one of our two main and Breida.  That’s a logical plan.

Regardless he’s cheap, has speed, we haven’t game planned anything for him yet, so some weeks he’s our new yeldon, but he offers a different wrinkle than a yeldon.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

DS

Moss

T Jones

Could be wrong 

I said when he signed and people were excited, if Taiwan stays Brieda would probably be the inactive. But supposedly he’s been practicing on special teams and he can play some snaps on offense so maybe he’s got a shot. I just hate seeing people judge him based on our two preseason games and expecting him to be something he’s not. If he could be a traditional running back and handle 15-20 carries a game Miami wouldn’t of given up on him so quickly. 

7 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I said when he signed and people were excited, if Taiwan stays Brieda would probably be the inactive. But supposedly he’s been practicing on special teams and he can play some snaps on offense so maybe he’s got a shot. I just hate seeing people judge him based on our two preseason games and expecting him to be something he’s not. If he could be a traditional running back and handle 15-20 carries a game Miami wouldn’t of given up on him so quickly. 

Fair points sir

• Thank you (+1) 1

The way I see it is Breida was brought in to add a different dimension and insurance against whether or not Devin and Zack showed

the improvement needed for the RB group.  He may not be needed (especially with the Jones option) and Gilliam looking good.

Singletary looks vastly better than last year.  I could see a scenario where Breida does get cut and after all the other RBs flood

the FA market he ends up on the PS.

17 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I actually think that Dabol is designing a role and place for Breida. Similar to how he uses McKittrick 4-6 times a game. You saw the difference on the one play Breida made to the goal line. His speed is ridiculous. Like we saw with Stevenson. You can’t coach that. 

They have given Breida a bunch of normal RB carries from common sets. That’s not what he’s good at and no surprise he doesn’t look any different than Motor or Moss last year. But in regular season I imagine that Breida gets 4-5 designed plays a game, like McKenzie gets, which will be tough for defenses to prepare for. 

I think Breida is going to make some huge plays for us and never put up fantasy stats. 

8 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Is it possible that the play calls he's getting aren't to his strengths?  As if, just maybe, they don't want to call much attention to what he can really do right now when it's just preseason?  I'm no football expert, but I haven't seen many outside, get to the edge fast type run plays called for him so far.  What I have seen are sort of the up the gut, between the tackles runs.  From what I've read about this fella, that's not exactly how you take advantage of his speed.  I mean, if you sign a guy like him with that specific skill set to compliment what they already have, why would you show your cards in the preseason? 

Am I wrong?  I am usually wrong at least 50% of the time in my life outside of football, so who knows?  Just my opinion.

Basically these two posts are what i have to say. If Breida has a place on the team, it's as an explosive speed back. But he actually needs to get the ball in space, to be of maximum value.  Most of the chances he's had in preseason are pretty standard inside the tackle running plays. He probably isn't going to light it up on those.   

If they've already decided he's on the roster, then I don't expect the Bills to show much of what they have in store for him. If he is closer to the bubble, then I'd expect to see him get a few more advantageous looks. If not for the Bills then perhaps as a bit of advertising for a possible (but unlikely) trade.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Basically these two posts are what i have to say. If Breida has a place on the team, it's as an explosive speed back. But he actually needs to get the ball in space, to be of maximum value.  Most of the chances he's had in preseason are pretty standard inside the tackle running plays. He probably isn't going to light it up on those.   

If they've already decided he's on the roster, then I don't expect the Bills to show much of what they have in store for him. If he is closer to the bubble, then I'd expect to see him get a few more advantageous looks. If not for the Bills then perhaps as a bit of advertising for a possible (but unlikely) trade.

Actually you saw what the Bills plan with him on that little swing pass where he broke a tackle and got down to the half yard line. He has something none of the other backs possess-speed in open space. Yes, he will be on the 53.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

Actually you saw what the Bills plan with him on that little swing pass where he broke a tackle and got down to the half yard line. He has something none of the other backs possess-speed in open space. Yes, he will be on the 53.

Yes, that's one play. I'm saying, if he's a lock, I don't expect we will see a whole lot more of that. But clearly that is where he excels. 

21 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Yes, sir. I couldn’t agree more. I think it’s possible that we add someone through the waiver wire. Not feeling Breida at all.

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The Bills can get a roster exemption for Wade again this season and expect him to be on it.

They actually made a change to that. We can put him on the roster exemption list and keep him there all year and no one can sign him away from us. But… unlike the last two years… he is not forbidden to play if on roster exemption. We can activate him at any time I think and put him on active roster. Then of course he becomes like a regular player and there are no more protections. I wouldn’t doubt they do this if one of Motor, Moss or Breida gets hurt for a game or two. 

51 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They actually made a change to that. We can put him on the roster exemption list and keep him there all year and no one can sign him away from us. But… unlike the last two years… he is not forbidden to play if on roster exemption. We can activate him at any time I think and put him on active roster. Then of course he becomes like a regular player and there are no more protections. I wouldn’t doubt they do this if one of Motor, Moss or Breida gets hurt for a game or two. 

Is Wade injured?  If not is there a reason he has seen zero snaps so far this preseason (unless he played some and I missed him)? 

I think Devin turned it up a notch after they brought brieda in this summer. Devin is looking like he did 2 years ago, clearly Moss and Devin aren't getting cut so it may be a Jones vs Brieda battle. It's going to be tough battle and one may not want to be Mr. Yeldon this year vs having an opportunity elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Is Wade injured?  If not is there a reason he has seen zero snaps so far this preseason (unless he played some and I missed him)? 

Yeah. He’s been out three weeks with a shoulder injury. Really sucks for him after last year preseason was cancelled. And now he’s hurt. Glad the NFL changed the rule. He may never see the field. But injuries happen. If he’s the #3 RB in a real game would be interesting to see him a few plays. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah. He’s been out three weeks with a shoulder injury. Really sucks for him after last year preseason was cancelled. And now he’s hurt. Glad the NFL changed the rule. He may never see the field. But injuries happen. If he’s the #3 RB in a real game would be interesting to see him a few plays. 

Sucks indeed. The rule change, well both of them, are good for him and the Bills this year.