My Suprise cut... Matt Brieda

Mat68

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I understand change of pace.  4x1 Brieda aint blocking your mother.  For those to 4-5 touches to work he needs to slide into the offense and add some more.  I dont think he can protect Josh.  I dont think him being on the field suprises anyone and that makes him less effective.

I don't think he is an element of surprise moreso than an element of holy crap what they gonna do now?  Pass? run? swing pass?  Josh run?  Thats the element he brings.  That and you saw it today....he has that Stephenson speed.....can't teach that, can't train that.

I get the point about Brieda, but he does offer something different from our other backs with his speed. I don't want to see him running between the tackles because he seems woefully ineffective doing that thus far. However, Daboll has proven that if you can do at least one thing well, he can scheme a play for you. The trick for Brieda tho is to do enough to not only make the team, but also be active on game days. So far, I'm not seeing it. Would be nice if he could maybe return kicks or be a gunner. He seems as one dimensional as it gets.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

If he’s that bad he can just go to the practice squad, don’t have to worry about someone snatching him up. 

Actually I think he’s bad enough that he can go to the wait at home squad. After watching his senior year at Georgia I was unhappily surprised the Bills drafted him. I think Davis Webb offers more on the PS, on field and off. 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah I don’t think so all these passes that Singletary and Mosser getting right now I think we’re going to go to Brita they’re going to use him differently whenever the games actually start start

What are you saying  Daboll is saving the real playbook for the regular season and the games that actually count ??? 

I actually think that Dabol is designing a role and place for Breida. Similar to how he uses McKittrick 4-6 times a game. You saw the difference on the one play Breida made to the goal line. His speed is ridiculous. Like we saw with Stevenson. You can’t coach that. 

They have given Breida a bunch of normal RB carries from common sets. That’s not what he’s good at and no surprise he doesn’t look any different than Motor or Moss last year. But in regular season I imagine that Breida gets 4-5 designed plays a game, like McKenzie gets, which will be tough for defenses to prepare for. 

I think Breida is going to make some huge plays for us and never put up fantasy stats. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mat68 said:

In shorts and shells Brieda is great.  Put on pads, slop up some lanes and he is not as good.  On paper he is the fastest rb.  Unless you scheme up the perfect play I dont see it.  San Fran and Miami both run heavy teams moved on.  Call me crazy but if Williams comes back before game 3 cut Brieda and keep Williams.  

The problem is Williams was uninspiring last week. I am not in love with Brieda. But Williams has to beat him out and he hadn't got close to showing that. I keep the vet myself but he is probably headed for the Yeldon don't dress role. 

• Agree 1

Is it possible that the play calls he's getting aren't to his strengths?  As if, just maybe, they don't want to call much attention to what he can really do right now when it's just preseason?  I'm no football expert, but I haven't seen many outside, get to the edge fast type run plays called for him so far.  What I have seen are sort of the up the gut, between the tackles runs.  From what I've read about this fella, that's not exactly how you take advantage of his speed.  I mean, if you sign a guy like him with that specific skill set to compliment what they already have, why would you show your cards in the preseason? 

Am I wrong?  I am usually wrong at least 50% of the time in my life outside of football, so who knows?  Just my opinion.

11 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I'm not an administrator, but this strikes me as a misleading thread title.  All you needed to do was say something like "My Choice for a Surprise Cut."  As it is worded, I didn't know if I was going to find an opinion, a prediction or a news flash.

You are correct -it’s been amended. We try to be charitable for less fortunate but sometimes we just shut it down. 🤷‍♂️

I don't know a lot about Brieda but alls i know is that 2 teams have moved on from him with little to show for his time on the field with either team but i do hope McBeane have made yet another good decision because to this point with the Bills he as showed me nothing to get on his band wagon .

I would like to see Wade given more than 1 or 2 chances to see what he has learned if anything and the TE/HB Gilliam has shown more than either of them when it comes to scoring .

• Mat68 changed the title to My Suprise cut... Matt Brieda

So the third string rb everyone wants cant actually play running back like many are stating?  Last year Yeldon was rarley active unless for injury.  Brieda when he dresses would need to be an every down player.  I dont see the speed when I watch him play.  Creating special plays for the 3rd string rb on a pass first team to justify a roster spot seems unlikley imo.