I've seen enough from the youngster Edge Rushers: Trade Mario Addison!

Logic

6 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

This saves about $6M if released or traded.  He may not even be active on game day.  A trade or cut is not out of the question, given we have depth at the position, the young guys that are playing well, and we have another veteran presence.  That being said, they kept Murphy last year under similar circumstances.

On this thread I've seen several people saying there will be anywhere between $3M and $6M in savings by cutting him.

His contract is fully guaranteed. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/

Cutting or trading him means we pay $8M for a player that isn't on our roster.

Why would we do that.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

On this thread I've seen several people saying there will be anywhere between $3M and $6M in savings by cutting him.

His contract is fully guaranteed. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/

Why would we do that.

They save $2m on the cap this year but it is dead money next year. 

We'd cut him if he wasn't one of the best 5 defensive ends on the team. I think he is (just). But the problem is that makes the 6th guy their 2nd round pick (who they are not cutting) and the 7th guy a core special teamer.

10 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Yes, doesn't look like there is any savings at all if released, as his salary is guaranteed.  So no real possibility of that.  After the 2M pay cut he took earlier this year, the savings would be 4M if traded.  The new team typically would pay his 2021 salary, unless the Bills opt to pay some of it as part of the trade package.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/3/18/22338078/mario-addison-contract-restructure-will-save-buffalo-bills-2-million-in-2021

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I think something people might be missing is Addison isn't playing in the preseason games. That's not something you do if he's competing for his spot/trade bait, he's going to be on the team this season.

Yes I think you are right unless some team offers something stupid for him. I think all the guys sitting (including Taiwan Jones which I know doesn't please some) are destined for the final roster.

I would cut or trade Addison. I do not think the team will. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’d like a “do-over” on the Basham pick. Not because I don’t think he’ll be a player, but because we have far too many DEs on this team that relegate him to 6th or 7th best (right now).

I disagree.  I think Groot and Boogie were McB taking 2 shots to fill 1 very very important spot. 

Yes, the price for those high-round scratch-offs was steep.  But we are in win-right-TF-now mode, and they needed to come away with at least 1 pass rusher.

8 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I disagree.  I think Groot and Boogie were McB taking 2 shots to fill 1 very very important spot.

Yes, the price for those high-round scratch-offs was steep.  But we are in win-right-TF-now mode, and they needed to come away with at least 1 pass rusher.

I think you're exactly right. 

And we may wind up cutting or trading a guy who (long term) may be a better player in favor of keeping someone who better fills a need we have to win-right-TF-now.  Similar to when we cut Wyatt Teller (a young player with higher ceiling, but development needs) in favor of Spencer Long (a capable backup center who could play either guard spot) after a preseason where Mitch Morse was out with concussion and the immediate win-right-now need was to be sure we had a starting quality NFL center.

It's a really big question how Beane is going to figure this out.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Why would we do that.

To keep a very good younger player instead of a old player in his last year and who will be seeing only spot duty. It is called "sunk cost".

21 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I think something people might be missing is Addison isn't playing in the preseason games. That's not something you do if he's competing for his spot/trade bait, he's going to be on the team this season.

...or they don't want this older brittle guy to get banged up so they can not trade him away as easily.

22 hours ago, SCBills said:

We’re likely not trading anyone within division, but Schefter tweeted out that the Jets are looking to trade for a pass rusher off the Carl Lawson injury. 

Hard to imagine a team in the Jets position would trade away future picks for a 34 year old whose production has fallen off a cliff.

Edited by Billl

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Hard to imagine a team in the Jets position would trade away future picks for a 33 year old whose production has fallen off a cliff.

We won’t, but if Addison truly fell of a cliff, I’m confident our staff would cut him.  

I don’t think he has, and if he’s on the team, expect him to look much better - especially in a deep rotation, second year in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

We won’t, but if Addison truly fell of a cliff, I’m confident our staff would cut him.  

I don’t think he has, and if he’s on the team, expect him to look much better - especially in a deep rotation, second year in Buffalo. 

Pretty sure this is the sentiment McD has expressed too. The idea that Addison SHOULD look more like his 10 sack seasons because of a deeper rotation. We'll see though. As great as McBeane have been they aren't infallible.

• Agree 1

On 8/21/2021 at 7:46 PM, DCofNC said:

I think you will see one of the back end of the roster guys agree to a cut and resign so they can cut to 53, send Basham to the IR, then resign whoever.  Might be Zimmer or someone who clearly appreciates being here and has little to no salary cap implications.

Unfortunately it can't be Zimmer.  He only has 3 years of service and is subject to waivers.

On 8/21/2021 at 10:49 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I've said it before...........but if Addison wants to be part of the team perhaps he will accept being cut and join the PS.

He's not subject to waivers and his salary is guaranteed already.........this would help the team and allow him to come in later in the season fresh......hopefully for a strong playoff run or when there are injuries etc..

Obviously he could possibly pick up a vet min salary elsewhere if he were cut.........but sticking around on the PS is not a concept totally out of the realm if he wants to be in Buffalo.

I'm not saying that Beane should or should not do this with Addison but this is the kind of move that Beane and McDermott need to look at.

Bills have to take advantage of both the IR and expanded PS rules this year.

It should be noted that a vet that could agree to this kind of move also can be paid at a higher rate than a typical PS guy.

Players like Breida, Butler and Jones could also be considered for a move like this.

• Like (+1) 1

On one hand...it's just preseason.

On the other, clearly this young dline has been one of the bright spots during preseason play going up against other teams starters in most cases without Addison and Hughes.

But to the point of trading Addison, what is he even worth to another team? A 7th rounder, maybe 6th? This is why I was in favor of dumping here like we did Quinton Jefferson but instead the team reworked his contract without any real incentive to cut him.

All I know is that if this dline looks the same as last year early in the season with the assumed starting lineup of Addison/Hughes/Star/Oliver and we aren't generating consistent pressure look for Addison to become Trent Murphy and pretty much be inactive the rest of the season.