I've seen enough from the youngster Edge Rushers: Trade Mario Addison!

Logic

I’m not the biggest Addison fan at all…….

but these youngsters still have to show that they can be consistent when the games really matter.

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't know. Obada was in on alot of plays these last 2 games. You take away Johnson's ST play, is he really a better DE/ DT Hybrid than Johnson?

Can Johnson be better than himself? 😂

It’s impossible for us fans to know how much influence these veteran players have on the younger guys. McDermott (and I believe Beane) really like Addison as a mentor and teammate and veteran for these younger guys. But do you really need two of them?

Hughes is a tremendous guy to follow and learn from. Hughes is the biggest hustler on the team. He’s vocal. He’s smart. He knows both the speed game and technician game. Eric Washington the DL coach is also a ex player the young kids can respect. 

i totally get McDermotts vision for players, cogs, teammates, veterans, process guys, role models, etc. Not sure on DL you need two. Hughes is better role model than Addison. He tries harder than ANYONE on the entire team. For a decade. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I’m not the biggest Addison fan at all…….

but these youngsters still have to show that they can be consistent when the games really matter.

Can Johnson be better than himself? 😂

That's exactly McD's become the best version of yourself process...

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't know. Obada was in on alot of plays these last 2 games. You take away Johnson's ST play, is he really a better DE/ DT Hybrid than Johnson?

I think they both were in on a lot of plays. I'd like to keep both, to be honest. But I think their DE performance is similar, with the edge going to Johnson due to his special teams contribution. 

If Basham weren't a 2nd round pick his spot would be in serious jeopardy right now.  Wouldn't shock me if he were to mysteriously pick up an injury requiring IR next week. Same with Marquez Stevenson and Doyle today.  No room on the actual roster for them but they picked up injuries, have promise, and won't clear waivers. Stash em.

• Like (+1) 2

I’d like a “do-over” on the Basham pick. Not because I don’t think he’ll be a player, but because we have far too many DEs on this team that relegate him to 6th or 7th best (right now). An interior OL in the 2nd would’ve been outstanding. Also wish we would’ve picked up OG Trey Smith in the 6th with one of those back to back picks. Mainly because I’m tired of hearing how the Chiefs got “the steal of the draft.”

Trade him, cut him, I don't care. We don't need him. Hughes, Rousseau, Epenesa, Obada with Boogie as a developmental guy. 

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If Basham weren't a 2nd round pick his spot would be in serious jeopardy right now.  Wouldn't shock me if he were to mysteriously pick up an injury requiring IR next week. Same with Marquez Stevenson and Doyle today.  No room on the actual roster for them but they picked up injuries, have promise, and won't clear waivers. Stash em.

Agree with that. If they had taken Boogie on day 3 he would be in danger. He got a sack on a nice hustle play yesterday where he ended a QB scramble short of the line but he struggled to produce penetration and lost discipline twice in the run game.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I've been beating the pass rush drum for years.  They went with old slow veterans last year and it didn't work.  Now they are going with a nice mix of experience and youth.   People easily forget Addison led the DL with 5 sacks though it was Hughes that got more consistent pressure.  Youth will cost them some missed containment yards or some screens given up due to the inexperience.  But they will make up for it with more speed on the filed and a few strip sacks during the year.  

🤦‍♂️ I doubt there’s even one poster who’s forgotten Addison had 5 sacks. But thanks for your contribution 🥱

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

A little surprised the Bills haven’t given Star any reps against a different uniform after having sat out last season. He hasn’t been the “Josh Allen” equivalent on defense, so that leads me to believe something’s up (beyond getting looks at the other DL). Could he be trade bait? Knowing how much McDermott values routine, I fully expect him to treat this 3rd preseason game as a dress rehearsal, where available starters will play at least a series. If this is the case and Star doesn’t play yet again… 👋

Sean has said it’s because they’re satisfied he’s still very good and no need to see him in meaningless games. See Beasley, Cole. Diggs, Stephon. Allen, Joshua.

7 hours ago, Rico said:

DE: Rousseau Epenesa Hughes Addison Johnson

DT: Star Oliver Zimmer Obada Boogie

Cut Butler, trade or IR Phillips. 

All depends on if Star is ready & if you only go with 1 true 1T, but this way you keep your best 10 linemen.

Again, per McD, Star is ready -plus Harry and even Ed have played 1T if needed. Get to third down or 2nd & long and a DE is flipping inside anyway, for better pressure.

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’d like a “do-over” on the Basham pick. Not because I don’t think he’ll be a player, but because we have far too many DEs on this team that relegate him to 6th or 7th best (right now). An interior OL in the 2nd would’ve been outstanding. Also wish we would’ve picked up OG Trey Smith in the 6th with one of those back to back picks. Mainly because I’m tired of hearing how the Chiefs got “the steal of the draft.”

Many believed Basham was more pro-ready post Draft -including pro scouts. Team isn’t giving up on him. I predict an odd injury befalls him after the GB game -kinda like ‘Speedy’ Stevenson; score on a 79 PR in Game 2, take a walk with a trainer to the locker room. We don’t need to see any more. He’ll be our new Don Beebe -After he ‘heals up’..🤕

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Are we worries about the cap or something?   Do we have too many good players we can’t keep or something?   Are we worried about hitting Cam too hard?

We have too many at defensive end, yes. Really depends whether they feel they need Bam for special teams. If they do they can't keep 7 defensive ends so who goes? Addison is the obvious one for me.

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

How did Mario Addison get his own thread ? :huh:

Activity makes up for lack of productivity. 

This saves about $6M if released or traded.  He may not even be active on game day.  A trade or cut is not out of the question, given we have depth at the position, the young guys that are playing well, and we have another veteran presence.  That being said, they kept Murphy last year under similar circumstances.

EDIT: Doesn't look like any savings at all if released, as his salary is guaranteed.  So no real possibility of that.  After the 2M pay cut earlier this year, savings will be 4M if traded.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/3/18/22338078/mario-addison-contract-restructure-will-save-buffalo-bills-2-million-in-2021

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

How did Mario Addison get his own thread ? :huh:

Simple: Because there are very few roster spots actually up for grabs on this team. Very few.

I predicted the same about Addison a few weeks ago. By taking two DEs at the top of the draft the Bills put themselves into this sticky position.  You’re not cutting either guy that you just picked in April so veterans are definitely on the chopping block. I feel a trade coming for sure.

Edited by SoCal Deek

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Simple: Because there are very few roster spots actually up for grabs on this team. Very few.

I predicted the same about Addison a few weeks ago. By taking two DEs at the top of the draft the Bills put themselves into this sticky position.  You’re not cutting either guy that you just picked in April so veterans are definitely on the chopping block. I feel a trade coming for sure.

And I hope it serves as a lesson for their “double down” draft strategy! Although it probably won’t. Their other double down pick, Doyle, hasn’t really shown he’s worthy of the top 53 either.

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sean has said it’s because they’re satisfied he’s still very good and no need to see him in meaningless games. See Beasley, Cole. Diggs, Stephon. Allen, Joshua.

Yes, I’m aware coach says Star is ready so there’s no need to see him out there, but since Star has never had the level of impact as the players you mentioned, it’s still curious to see that player who sat out for over a year - and didn’t show up to camp until it was mandatory - not afforded game reps.
Ed Oliver is a better player than Star, yet Oliver has seen the field plenty this preseason.

Edited by JayBaller10