PostGame Thread Bills @ Bears

1 hour ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Heck yes, Aaron -- that was a fantastic play by Zimmer. The kid can really run. 

I want to see Zimmer with some FB carries. And how about TE, like that dude on the Ravens?

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember all the years of watching Bills preseason games where the Bills looked like the Bears looked tonight. Sloppy, uninspired, outmatched, no urgency.

I would always tell myself "It's just preseason! No need to worry!". Lo and behold, the season would come, and they'd look just like they looked in preseason. I came to realize over the years that to a large degree, preseason performance DOES matter. Sure, the playcalling is vanilla and there are backups scattered throughout the lineup, but the fundamental football questions remain: Are you getting in and out of the offensive huddle crisply and efficiently? Executing your blocking assignments? Tackling with sound fundamentals? Playing tight coverage? Running good routes? Protecting the football? Scoring points? Avoiding 3-and-outs?

I'm so glad that the Bills are finally on the other side of the equation. Despite resting all of the best players on our team, we soundly outplayed the Bears in all three phases. No sloppy penalties or confusion, no dumb, unforced errors (save for McKenzie's fumble), converting on 3rd and 4th down....just generally looking like a well assembled, well coached, relatively deep football team.

Coaching absolutely matters. Seeing McDermott's crew side-by-side with Nagy's crew....no contest. Hats off to coach McDermott. All the credit in the world to him, he's built an excellent program here in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsherd said:

Did Obada play today?

Did some good things, but also let Fields break contain for big yards.  I'm sure if the Bills were game planning to defend a mobile and athletic QB like Fields that would be stressed heavily in the preparation, but it's also something that he has to learn.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Do yourself a favor and watch #50 every time he's on the field. Unreal performance for a rookie after a year off from football.

Almost through the 1st quarter and I just been watching 50, 97 and 91.  They’ve been getting upfield.  Rousseau clearly a specimen out there.  Such a small sample size and I may be getting ahead of myself, but we may finally have another elite DE.  Wasn’t expecting this, but I guess I should have.

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

I remember all the years of watching Bills preseason games where the Bills looked like the Bears looked tonight. Sloppy, uninspired, outmatched, no urgency.

I would always tell myself "It's just preseason! No need to worry!". Lo and behold, the season would come, and they'd look just like they looked in preseason. I came to realize over the years that to a large degree, preseason performance DOES matter. Sure, the playcalling is vanilla and there are backups scattered throughout the lineup, but the fundamental football questions remain: Are you getting in and out of the offensive huddle crisply and efficiently? Executing your blocking assignments? Tackling with sound fundamentals? Playing tight coverage? Running good routes? Protecting the football? Scoring points? Avoiding 3-and-outs?

I'm so glad that the Bills are finally on the other side of the equation. Despite resting all of the best players on our team, we soundly outplayed the Bears in all three phases. No sloppy penalties or confusion, no dumb, unforced errors (save for McKenzie's fumble), converting on 3rd and 4th down....just generally looking like a well assembled, well coached, relatively deep football team.

Coaching absolutely matters. Seeing McDermott's crew side-by-side with Nagy's crew....no contest. Hats off to coach McDermott. All the credit in the world to him, he's built an excellent program here in Buffalo. 

Preseason wins don't matter but the fundamentals are very important. Are we tackling, hitting the right holes, do our QB and reciever make the same read of Defense. I was impressed by that today more than anything. Good points

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No way they should carry 3 QBs this year.  Use that spot for an extra linemen.  

They won’t.  Next week will determine whether we place State Fromm on the PS, and cut Webb or reverse.  I hope we keep Webb and let From. Figure out his next move.  Remember Webb was a 3rd round pick in 2017 to Fromm’s 5th.  I see more value in retaining Webb for insurance, and his coach on the field stuff.  

I’ve said it the interesting for me is in total we keep 10 guys for WR/TE.  We’ll see how it splits out.  I think we only keep 3 RB’s (not counting Jones), and maybe Williams makes it on the PS.

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

Amen, brother.  I said something similar.  You said it better.  

Coaches say you play how you practice.  All the Bills players say practice is full speed, all the time.  The best players are doing the best they can, every rep, and everyone else follows.   They step on the field, and they just do what they did in practice.  Trubisky looked like he'd been running this offense for years.  Rookies all know their roles.  Everyone supports each other.  

It's a beautiful thing.  

I never imagined. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just watching the replay now and Kumerow TOWERS over Hollister, a TE. I know it's a dead horse, but I really hope they get this guy involved as at LEAST a RedZone threat this year. His physical frame combined w/ his fluidity and (so far) decent hands, I can see why Rodgers gave him the seal of approval. 

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I want to see Zimmer with some FB carries. And how about TE, like that dude on the Ravens?

Made me think of Carwell Gardner. Old number 35, he was a favorite of mine since he went to Louisville. As the saying goes, you need a yard, he will get you a yard, need two yards and he will get you a yard. Gilliam looks better, I hope he has a role in the offense.

Edit: Oh crap, you said Zimmer, I was already in Gilliam mode and misread your comment.

Edited by Coastie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

My biggest negative:  McKenzie.  Bills simply cannot afford to have a guy mishandle punts.   He's been dropping them since he arrived in Buffalo.   Every season he's looked better and better at receiver, and today he was solid there.   Doesn't matter.  Can't muff punts.  

Shaw.  Yes, can’t muff punts.  

But how many has he actually dropped?  I think you need to look it up yourself

• Thank you (+1) 1

The after glow:

1.  Singletary has clearly been eating his Wheaties.  He looks ten times more explosive this year. 

2. TD Jesus has the winner of toe drag swag this weekend.

3. Second week in a row I have been impressed with the run defense.

4. Stevenson made the team today (presuming he is not seriously injured).  Bills have to somehow keep 7 WRs.  There will be no sneaking him on the PS.

5.  Hollister making a case for TE1.

6.  This game had just about everything a coach would like to see in situational football.

7.  Bills 2s > Bears 1s

8.  Loved the pitch play today.  Seems like forever since we have seen that in Buffalo.  Glad it will be in the Daboll playbook this year.

9.  Dline had some fantastic push today.  Sad about Harrison.  

10. Oline took a serious hit on depth today..

11. Daboll can run the entire playbook with Mitch in there.  Several of Mitch's throw's were high.  He needs better positioning for his WRs.

12. This team is LOADED..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Just watching the replay now and Kumerow TOWERS over Hollister, a TE. I know it's a dead horse, but I really hope they get this guy involved as at LEAST a RedZone threat this year. His physical frame combined w/ his fluidity and (so far) decent hands, I can see why Rodgers gave him the seal of approval. 

Both are listed at 6’4”.  The towering may be a camera perspective

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Outside of Tight End, I feel darned good about the squad moving forward. Great depth.

I was blown away  with how fast JH looked on that 20 yard catch and run 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Both are listed at 6’4”.  The towering may be a camera perspective

If u don't mind me asking where did u see the replay 

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Shaw.  Yes, can’t muff punts.  

But how many has he actually dropped?  I think you need to look it up yourself

I don't know anything about his career before he came to Buffalo.   I know I've seen him muff multiple punts before today.   He's returned only 16 punts in Buffalo, plus a few more in preseason.    So, at least in my mind, he's muffed three out of 20 or 25.  

• Like (+1) 1

One more. 

That Andre Smith hit on Fields was Fields fault. He did not adjust the protection. Rookie mistake. Smith got there so fast and at full speed. Fields helmet popping off reminded me of a Pez dispenser. 

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1