Will The Bills Beat the All Time Season Scoring Record?

JMF2006

Break it or not  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills smash the all time points record of 606

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, transient said:

As a Bills fan, I hope you're right. However, comparing Singletary to Thomas, who in his prime routinely led the league in yards from scrimmage, is crazy talk. Irrespective of the cause of the issues with the running game last season, before Moss got hurt Singletary wasn't even the most effective back on the team.

I'm just going by the way he runs. He reminds me of Thurman Thomas. Then there's the 5.1 yd. average as a rookie, that's excellent. I think he catches better this year to be more Thurman and Devin is an excellent pass blocker just like Thurman.

I guess the difference between the two to me is that Thurman was an every down back and I don't see that with Singletary. I think he needs to keep his touches at around 15. So, maybe he is not as tough as Thurman? Same speed, that is for sure.

Same ability to make tacklers miss. Similar vision but Thurman's was better and Devin is still learning to take the three yard run. 

Lastly, Devin had miserable blocking for him last year. I think the Bills led the league in contact to the RB before or at the LOS. Thurman never had a great run blocking line but he did have decent blocking in front of him. Better than Barry had not nearly as good as the RB from Dallas (his name escapes me at the moment, Smith?

Who knows if we beat that record? I think the first thing that everyone that sez no is missing is that Josh is still improving. He is going to set the league on fire this year if his WRs hold up. Second is his WRs are better and deeper. Sanders is a solid #2 WR and Davis is no longer a rook, McKenzie is getting better, and Kumerow is gaining confidence. Third, the OL should be better. Not just because of Ford either. It's because they are advancing their games together, in the same offense with the same coaches. Maybe Knox explodes? Or maybe Ertz comes over at some point? Who knows? Lastly, our run game will be better. I won't bother repeating why again.

Then, the defense should be better which should directly correlate to more scoring.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:15 PM, First Round Bust said:

while I would love to see it, esp with the additional regular season game making it more obtainable, I would prefer to see the O evolve and diversify;  produce a better run game, use the middle of the field more with the TEs and Sanders, throw more to the RBs with a one-one LB coverage, if that produces more points, fine...

Agreed... We need to convert those FGs to TDs in the playoffs.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:12 PM, billybrew1 said:

I don't see that yet. We are on an uphill arc still. I think Diggs and Beasley catch less but everyone else goes up still. If defenses play the run we will keep throwing as well. Daboll takes what's given, he doesn't call by the score he calls by the defense shown. Last year, teams never got out of that run blitz/blitz defense vs. the Bills. I don't see them conceding this year until Allen starts really blowing up opponents. So, we're going to do that.

PS - Diggs and Beasley will still definitely have their huge games, but the ball is going to go to Sanders and Davis a lot and if our TEs catch the damn ball, they'll get a lot of targets as well. Along with our backs.... The way I see it, Singletary will average 10 yds./catch often beating the first tackler.

Why would defenses play the run against us? The Chiefs showed everyone last year (twice) that your best bet is to dare us to run and try to shut down the run with just your front 4 + MLB. 

Now if our run game is better, we’ll be able to move the ball and score against those types of defenses. But even then we’d be scoring slower than via the pass. 

Maybe most of our opponents will be dumb! But I’m not gonna count on it. 

On 8/20/2021 at 8:23 AM, JMF2006 said:

Set by the Donkeys in 2013 at 606 points

With 17 games that would be 35.65 points per game

Most points, season, 606

Denver Broncos: 2013

With an extra game I'll give them a puncher's chance, but I just don't see it happening. That Peyton Manning led 2013 season by the Broncos was absolutely insane. Allen is close, but quite at that level.

Well for it to be possible there would be two keys to it.

An improved (from week 1) defense and..........Mitch Trubiski.  The defense part is obvious, get the ball to our offense more.  Mitch however came on a cheap one year prove it deal so that he could get a big contract somewhere else.  To help prove it, he might need to play.  So when Josh gets us out to a big league, rather than rush the ball to run out the clock, you put in Mitch to get him some action and become a Twitter pariah by running up the score.  This both protects Josh and gets Mitch more game time to get dialed in should Josh go down with injury.

There would be an incentive to do this with a high comp pick coming our way if Mitch does earn himself a good contract elsewhere.