Preseason TNF: Patriots at Eagles 7:30 NFLN

YoloinOhio

I see the Patriots hoping Mac Jones can be c.2001 Tom Brady. 

Until he is, only the TB12 part of Brady and Belichick has a ring since they split. The other part went back to being the .500 coach he was before he got 19 years of TB12.

BB is coaching to prove he's the best coach ever, not just the luckiest.

Still not sure how improved the Patriots offense will be this year but man is that defense going to be nasty and a prototypical Belichik unit (i.e. top 5).

Plus we get them twice in the 2nd half of the season when they will likely be hitting their usual stride and/or have a spark from a possible QB change.

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

The comment doesn't really make sense to make.  Losing a starting QB would pretty much derail just about every teams season.  I have that question too.  I hope better than last years defense.

There are a few on here who think Trabisky could do the job if Allen is injured. I 100% disagree.  I also think the Bills be good without Diggs but not SB good.

21 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Until he is, only the TB12 part of Brady and Belichick has a ring since they split. The other part went back to being the .500 coach he was before he got 19 years of TB12.

Did you see the talent level on the 2000 Patriots? I saw it ranked from 30 to 32 in talent… and BB still got that scrub of a team to 7-9 and they lost 2 or 3 games that they just shouldn’t have. Now with Talent and hopefully competent QB Play they could win 10 to 12 games maybe. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

That's not true, if so they would of just kept Tom Brady. Bill was ready for Tom Brady move on. A poster said it earlier. How the pats approach their offense since Brady was there is the same way they intend to run their offense going forward (once Cam is done). Brady was a especial intangible but BB thinks it's his system as long as he has the right players to execute it. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

46 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Still not sure how improved the Patriots offense will be this year but man is that defense going to be nasty and a prototypical Belichik unit (i.e. top 5).

Plus we get them twice in the 2nd half of the season when they will likely be hitting their usual stride and/or have a spark from a possible QB change.

Weird, what you call a spark other people will call their offense sucking and a QB getting benched.

And I'm not concerned about the Pats hitting their 2nd half stride, did you see OUR 2nd half stride last year?  When our defense woke up and we went from a negative point differential over the first half of the season to dominating teams with the best point differential down the stretch?

56 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

There are a few on here who think Trabisky could do the job if Allen is injured. I 100% disagree.  I also think the Bills be good without Diggs but not SB good.

That’s not what I said… I said he could keep us on track during the regular season should Josh miss time. 

I do stand by the point that Trubisky is arguably the 2nd best QB in the division. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

That’s not what I said… I said he could keep us on track during the regular season should Josh miss time. 

I do stand by the point that Trubisky is arguably the 2nd best QB in the division. 

Based on skill right now, I would take Trubisky as the 2nd best QB in the division.

Based on potential, I still might have him 2nd, but would probably drop him to 3rd and just say one of the other young QBs will be better, but I have no idea who.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Lol you were not the only person say something like that.  also isn’t that what I said “Trubisky can do the job if Allen gets injured”. 

also I totally disagree on Trubisky just because that man shrinks when it’s crunch time. There is a reason he is a backup..  but hey it’s ok to disagree.. :)

3 hours ago, Klaus said:

Based on skill right now, I would take Trubisky as the 2nd best QB in the division.

Based on potential, I still might have him 2nd, but would probably drop him to 3rd and just say one of the other young QBs will be better, but I have no idea who.

My point is simple. with Trubisky you lose to the Pats and Dolphins at least once each. Both D are just to good and he is to mistake prone to not expect that to continue.. (Assuming Tua takes a normal step and Jones is under center for NE.)

I am biased I see Jones being the second best QB in the division and I don’t expect him to start week 1 lol.. 

Two takeaways from this game:

1. Patriots are a legit playoff contender. Don't expect them to really push for the division but they are a likely wildcard team IMO and will finish ahead of Miami.

2. The Eagles will be the worst team in football, their Head Coach is a walking disaster zone and he will be 1 and done.

• Agree 2

No argument on the Eagles.  It’s not just the HC, but the organization.  They have been in free fall since their SB win.  It has to start with the owner.

I’m in a wait and see on the Pats.  I’m not concerned we’ll beat them and win the division, but until they figure out the QB, and I just don’t see Cam looking as good in season.  He’s never been accurate, not improved, and his body is shot.  Any rookie QB can look good in the preseason with vanilla defenses.  We’ll see how Jones does when he has blitzes and pressure coming from all different angles.  Maybe he’ll figure it out like Herbert surprised the majority of people, or more likely he’ll look more like Tua.  

BB will do what everyone expects him to in what has been said above.  They picked up tall WR’s who are not that athletic, and two TE’s who are very competent.  Run, high % passes, and their typical complicated defenses.  If I had to predict, they’ll win against the Jets, Falcons, Panthers, Texans, Jags, Cowboys, Dolphins once, and maybe the Chargers (Saints are a wildcard as you don’t know what happens with the QB) That’s 9 wins.  They are going to have a tough time with the Bucs, Titans, Colts, Miami in Miami as for some reason they often give the Pats a tough time down there, Cleveland, and us twice. It’s why I’m guessing they will be a 9-10 game winning team which does not make the playoffs.  This is all predicated on they win every game they are supposed to win, and no hiccups.  The hype on the spending and BB a genius stuff is overrated in the media.  It was last year when they picked up Cam and they won 7 games.

36 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The hype on the spending and BB a genius stuff is overrated in the media.  It was last year when they picked up Cam and they won 7 games.

I see that differently. They won 7 games with a 5 game roster and bottom 5 Quarterback play. I don't expect Cam or Jones to be great but wouldn't be difficult to be a tad better than last year. 

I agree ultimately they will 9 or 10 games. I think that will put you right on the cusp of that 7th seed. The way I see the AFC playoffs is Buffalo, KC, Tennessee and one of Baltimore or Cleveland are division winners. The other of Baltimore or Cleveland is the #5 seed. Then I think 6 and 7 are between the Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins and Colts. The Colts are the most complete of those but Quarterback is a problem and their schedule (especially early) is brutal. The Chargers have a Quarterback advantage. The Patriots have a coaching advantage. The Dolphins are solid but I am not sure I see their special.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/20/2021 at 8:17 AM, ScottLaw said:

Yea, they’d be some where around .500 I think(I’m talking if Josh was out from game one and the entire year)…. Maybe a couple games better. The offense wouldn’t be anywhere near as good without Josh, IMO.

Even when in disarray at the start, McD was able to get this team to 9-7 with a serviceable qb in TT.  

I think Mitch is better and this is a better team.

if the strategy were to have Josh rest the entire season in anticipation of the playoffs I think this team, at worst, goes 10-7 which may win the division.  Same scenario I believe 11-6 is likely.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Two takeaways from this game:

1. Patriots are a legit playoff contender. Don't expect them to really push for the division but they are a likely wildcard team IMO and will finish ahead of Miami.

2. The Eagles will be the worst team in football, their Head Coach is a walking disaster zone and he will be 1 and done.

Yes, they are indeed a good and talented team. That has been on display. Their running game is so well-coached and well-executed. I see 11 wins.

Edited by dave mcbride

48 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yes, they are indeed a good and talented team. That has been on display. Their running game is so well-coached and well-executed. I see 11 wins.

9-11 is their range IMO. Second half of the schedule is tough but they could be 5-1 pretty easily. Chance to build momentum early.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I could see 10-7 if Mitch had to play the whole year…. 

They would need the D to play like the 2nd half of 2020 rather than the first half... but I agree this team is capable of 9/10 wins if Mitch plays the whole year. I said (and maintain) 5 was likely the ceiling with Barkley. 

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I see that differently. They won 7 games with a 5 game roster and bottom 5 Quarterback play. I don't expect Cam or Jones to be great but wouldn't be difficult to be a tad better than last year. 

I agree ultimately they will 9 or 10 games. I think that will put you right on the cusp of that 7th seed. The way I see the AFC playoffs is Buffalo, KC, Tennessee and one of Baltimore or Cleveland are division winners. The other of Baltimore or Cleveland is the #5 seed. Then I think 6 and 7 are between the Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins and Colts. The Colts are the most complete of those but Quarterback is a problem and their schedule (especially early) is brutal. The Chargers have a Quarterback advantage. The Patriots have a coaching advantage. The Dolphins are solid but I am not sure I see their special.

How I see it:

Baltimore — going regress more as people have figured out Jackson is just a running QB. (8-9 record they are swept by Cleveland and Pitt)

Dolphins - Regress as Tua struggles a lot and takes his bumps (7-10)

Chargers — O still excels but their D still stinks and 1 great pass rusher still doesn’t change that but they improve because of their QB.  (10-7)

Pitt — starts hot as usual but falls fast ends the year with a 9-8 record

Cleveland - Wins the division with a 12-4 record

KC — is the Alpha again of the AFC with a 15-1 record.

Vegas — D is meh and oh is meh.. they lose games they shouldn’t (5-12)

Colts — find out  their new QB truly sucks and they lose a lot, people are shocked but they will have a top 3 draft pick. 

Bills — barring injury they should roll to the 2 seed I say probably 13-4 maybe 12-5. 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

How I see it:

Baltimore — going regress more as people have figured out Jackson is just a running QB. (8-9 record they are swept by Cleveland and Pitt)

Dolphins - Regress as Tua struggles a lot and takes his bumps (7-10)

Chargers — O still excels but their D still stinks and 1 great pass rusher still doesn’t change that but they improve because of their QB.  (10-7)

Pitt — starts hot as usual but falls fast ends the year with a 9-8 record

Cleveland - Wins the division with a 12-4 record

KC — is the Alpha again of the AFC with a 15-1 record.

Vegas — D is meh and oh is meh.. they lose games they shouldn’t (5-12)

Colts — find out  their new QB truly sucks and they lose a lot, people are shocked but they will have a top 3 draft pick. 

Bills — barring injury they should roll to the 2 seed I say probably 13-4 maybe 12-5. 

Disagree on Pittsburgh (below .500) and Baltimore (they will win double digit games again - excellent roster, favourable schedule).

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree on Pittsburgh (below .500) and Baltimore (they will win double digit games again - excellent roster, favourable schedule).

I just don’t believe in Jackson as a QB he relies way way to much on his feet. I could be wrong though.