Josh Allen won't play vs the Bears

Process

31 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think the league is going to move more and more toward this.

Rest all starters, use the preseason games as evaluation for backups and fringe players only. 

It was already moving in that direction, but then 2020 happened and showed teams that the lack of preseason reps really did not hurt the vets. 

Sure, some teams with new coaches in town will want more of their starters to play as they try to establish chemistry and a team culture, but by and large, I think the days of teams playing starters in preseason games is, for the most part, over.

I said this recently, but I wish the NFL preseason was essentially the same as the NBA Summer League. Let the youngsters and fringe guys duke it out. In the absence of any kind of credible spring league or developmental league, this would be the next best option.

I attend a game in the 80's after the players strike....one week of practice...Bills at home against the Phins.  It was the worst display of pro football I ever saw....but, the money was more important than putting a good product on the field.  This was Kelly era timing, I think.   Anyhow, the notion vets can come in and play is wrong...they need the camp and some tuneup or they will put on a shameful display of football like I saw that day.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think the league is going to move more and more toward this.

Rest all starters, use the preseason games as evaluation for backups and fringe players only. 

There's only going to be 2 pre-season games soon (and that means 18 regular season games) so yea.. without the extra games to evaluate bottom of the roster, it's less important to have your starters play and not "put so many miles on them" in meaningless games. 

Edited by jeremy2020

I just wanted to say that I absolutely LOVE that the storyline of this game is "Bills QB Mitch Trubisky returns to Chicago to face his former team"....only Trubisky isn't our starter, he's our backup!

Any time in the past two decades pre-McDermott, Trubisky would be our reclamation project/savior, upon whom we were pinning all the hopes of our season. Instead, he's just the guy we brought in as insurance for our newly re-signed superstar franchise QB. 

They times, they are a-changin'.

• Like (+1) 9

No surprise here, there's zero chance that Allen and many others will be seeing the field these last 2 meaningless preseason games.

Need to keep letting these bubble players and practice squad candidates battle it out especially so we can get film on some possible trade candidates to get more DB or OL help in the coming weeks.

35 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I attend a game in the 80's after the players strike....one week of practice...Bills at home against the Phins.  It was the worst display of pro football I ever saw....but, the money was more important than putting a good product on the field.  This was Kelly era timing, I think.   Anyhow, the notion vets can come in and play is wrong...they need the camp and some tuneup or they will put on a shameful display of football like I saw that day.

Couple things. First, that was in 1982, before Kelly. Next, I'm pretty sure player preparation has changed significantly in the last 39 years. Finally, there was no preseason last year and it seemed fine.

• Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

QB Controversy brewing...will Allen get benched??? 🤣🤣

He was literally benched for the Lions game and will be again for the Bears game..

No need for context on this. Josh Allen was benched 😉

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He was literally benched for the Lions game and will be again for the Bears game..

No need for context on this. Josh Allen was benched 😉

Hahahahaha....that is true....technically he was!

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

No surprise here, there's zero chance that Allen and many others will be seeing the field these last 2 meaningless preseason games.

Need to keep letting these bubble players and practice squad candidates battle it out especially so we can get film on some possible trade candidates to get more DB or OL help in the coming weeks.

I'd like to see the starters get one single series in the last game, just to shake off the cobwebs. Although, given there was no preseason last year, and the way they performed, I'm not that worried about it.