Josh Allen won't play vs the Bears

Process

I think the league is going to move more and more toward this.

Rest all starters, use the preseason games as evaluation for backups and fringe players only. 

It was already moving in that direction, but then 2020 happened and showed teams that the lack of preseason reps really did not hurt the vets. 

Sure, some teams with new coaches in town will want more of their starters to play as they try to establish chemistry and a team culture, but by and large, I think the days of teams playing starters in preseason games is, for the most part, over.

I said this recently, but I wish the NFL preseason was essentially the same as the NBA Summer League. Let the youngsters and fringe guys duke it out. In the absence of any kind of credible spring league or developmental league, this would be the next best option.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Rest all starters, use the preseason games as evaluation for backups and fringe players only. 

It was already moving in that direction, but then 2020 happened and showed teams that the lack of preseason reps really did not hurt the vets. 

Sure, some teams with new coaches in town will want more of their starters to play as they try to establish chemistry and a team culture, but by and large, I think the days of teams playing starters in preseason games is, for the most part, over.

I said this recently, but I wish the NFL preseason was essentially the same as the NBA Summer League. Let the youngsters and fringe guys duke it out. In the absence of any kind of credible spring league or developmental league, this would be the next best option.

Weren't there a really high number of significant injuries to start the season last year? Or was that a misperception?

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, TPS said:

Give them the first quarter against the Packers and call it a preseason 

This.  McDermott likes to practice all aspects of the game experience, including the pregame locker room routine, on field warmups, coin toss, everything.  So, he'll put the starters on the field for the last preseason game, with the exception of anyone who's nursing an injury.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Weren't there a really high number of significant injuries to start the season last year? Or was that a misperception?

Good question. I don't know the correct answer.

I'd be interested to see data on league-wide injuries in 2020 vs other years.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agree. I think in the near future we will be at 18 regular season games/2 preseason with very few starters playing in the preseason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Logic said:

Good question. I don't know the correct answer.

I'd be interested to see data on league-wide injuries in 2020 vs other years.

Yeah, that's a data driven answer. But something that definitely needs to be looked at.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1