Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?

Rigotz

Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?

• Yes
    • No

Ahead of season no.  Too many players available are not likely to last for a full season.

If there is any CBs worth signing sign them post game 1 with significant bonus per game available.

Players who have mental blockages and unable to play would not get those bonuses.

I voted no as Wallace is having another good camp and I don’t see anyone better out there where we could afford them.  As someone else said, they just don’t come available, and we don’t have the $.  It’s not Madden, and you can’t have superstars everywhere. The other part is we play a zone defense based on understanding ones role.  Wallace, T. Johnson, and White will be our starters as we play mostly nickel.

I can see us drafting one with our 1st next year if a person is out there at the bottom of the round.  At this point, we’re only picking up cheap depth guys after the final cuts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reks Ryan said:

It’s a a valid point.   Maybe a young guy with speed that a team with good DB depth tries to get through to their practice squad.  A player w potential to contribute by mid-season if the Bills have injuries.

the Bills could use more speed in the secondary 

With all due respect, I don't think the Bills particularly value "speed" for prospective CBs. Sure, guys have to be able to run and close on the ball. But timed speed isn't nearly the trait to focus on here as it might be elsewhere.

In Buffalo, the traits to focus on are more difficult to pin down. I know that ideally length, physicality, and awareness are desired for zone corners. Guys like (a younger) Richard Sherman and Josh Norman are the models. On the contrary, Deion Sanders, for example, would theoretically be a bad fit. (Naturally, any competent DC should eagerly modify his coverage schemes to accommodate such a generational talent.)  Don't get caught up in my hyperbolic use of Primetime. He was all speed and ball skills. Bump-and-run and press-man all day. He turned and ran with WRs. The Bills want CBs who more often play off-coverage and primarily face the LOS. 

Size and smarts are more valuable than raw speed here. Although, having typed that, I'm pretty sure most of our CBs are not very big by NFL standards...

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In a perfect world, yes. But it's a long shot to find a good corner. Good corners usually make their respective rosters. That means we would need to trade for one, which I don't see happening.

If injuries happen, the Bills will go dumpster diving and find someone serviceable to take a few snaps. I think that's the best we can hope for at this point.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Full disclosure: I voted YES, but I don't think there exists a vet CB out there who is available and can actually help the Bills, AND I don't think the sign-a-vet CB program has been particularly efficacious thus far (I'm thinking of Josh Norman and especially Vontae Davis). Norman made one meaningful play (against the Raiders) last season, at least. Kevin Johnson made a few plays the year before that, if he qualifies. EJ Gaines wasn't a major weakness prior to that. But on the aggregate, they haven't been better than JAGs. 

In the absence of another high-value asset opposite Tre White, hopefully Jackson and Neal and Lewis and Wildgoose can grow into their important depth roles. And of course the Bills need Wallace and Johnson to keep improving as starters.

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

If Tre White misses any games, our starting CBs look like this:

CB1: Levi Wallace

CB2: Dane Jackson

Nickle: Taron Johnson / Siran Neal

Depth: Cam Lewis, Rachad Wildgoose, Nick McCloud, Olalljah Griffin

This is an easy answer for me, but I'm curious if everyone feels the same.

If I'm the Bills, I'm picking up a solid vet CB who hits waivers on final roster cuts.

This topic has been beat to death. The front office obviously feels good about what's in place because the time to improve that position was in the off season during FA.

There were plenty of UFA CB's this year that would have improved our situation dramatically. 

William Jackson

Shaquill griffin

Janoris Jenkins

Kyle Fuller

Patrick Peterson

Richard Sherman

Xavier Rhodes

Malcolm Butler

Steven Nelson

Casey Hayward.......... just to name a few.

I know some were out of the price range, but many were doable. I like Sanders but did we really need to drop 7 mil. on another WR when we are so deep and Davis showing so much promise last year? 

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Has the name of a vet CB we would appreciate even been mentioned?   I think the FA market is pretty much tapped out at this point 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nothing but air and suds left😂

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

This topic has been beat to death. The front office obviously feels good about what's in place because the time to improve that position was in the off season during FA.

There were plenty of UFA CB's this year that would have improved our situation dramatically. 

William Jackson

Shaquill griffin

Janoris Jenkins

Kyle Fuller

Patrick Peterson

Richard Sherman

Xavier Rhodes

Malcolm Butler

Steven Nelson

Casey Hayward.......... just to name a few.

I know some were out of the price range, but many were doable. I like Sanders but did we really need to drop 7 mil. on another WR when we are so deep and Davis showing so much promise last year? 

Nothing but air and suds left😂

Which of the CBs listed fit the Bills scheme?

I'm thinking Griffin, Fuller, Sherman (obviously untouchable)...but who else?

Griffin got kinda paid. Fuller's one-year deal ain't cheap, either. (I'd prefer either right now, for sure, and happily cut other vets to make the room.) But I don't think Beane wants to use FA to find a 2nd CB. 

If there were someone out there that was an upgrade over Levi Wallace, maybe. But after Steven Nelson signed with Philadelphia and Richard Sherman became persona non grata, there isn't anyone that fits the bill on the market right now. If McBeane themselves thought anyone was an upgrade and/or were interested, they'd have done it by now. Not two weeks into Training Camp. And anyone who would be an upgrade over Levi wouldn't be released in the final cuts and even if they were, it'd be too late in the process for them to be expected to step in, know the system, and start right away. I wouldn't expect a signing at CB unless there's an injury. Maybe.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If there were someone out there that was an upgrade over Levi Wallace, maybe. But after Steven Nelson signed with Philadelphia and Richard Sherman became persona non grata, there isn't anyone that fits the bill on the market right now. If McBeane themselves thought anyone was an upgrade and/or were interested, they'd have done it by now. Not two weeks into Training Camp. And anyone who would be an upgrade over Levi wouldn't be released in the final cuts and even if they were, it'd be too late in the process for them to be expected to step in, know the system, and start right away. I wouldn't expect a signing at CB unless there's an injury. Maybe.

I don't think an upgrade on Levi is the concern at this point. My concern is there is nobody else if he or Tre goes down.i thought Dane was horrible on Friday night. At the moment we need a vet depth guy. A starter will have to wait for next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes and there should be someone available somewhere on cut downs. Not a guy who will take Levi's job but a guy who can be a solid next man up. 

I think that is easier to find than Vet tackle help.

The problem is any depth player as no one’s taking Levi’s job. Frazier and McD have all but said it.  As Noggin who usually writes more eloquently than myself makes a significant point.

This zone defense requires all the D Backs to know exactly where they are supposed to be at all times.  We don’t play a man coverage unit so the Deon example is appropriate.  Sherman when younger would’ve been perfect. I’m not crazy about the guy pre melt down, but he fits this scheme.

GB makes a point about Dane in that he is just not picking up this scheme as quickly as people expected.  I hope he improves, but Levi is steady and consistent since 2018.  He’s going to get targeted as what QB wants to throw at White.

Hyde and Poyer individually are each still talented, but together they know exactly what the other is thinking and work exquisitely as a tandem.

We have the players McD and Frazier want so until draft day next year or an injury, we’re going to those that are on the roster.

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

The problem is any depth player as no one’s taking Levi’s job. Frazier and McD have all but said it.  As Noggin who usually writes more eloquently than myself makes a significant point.

This zone defense requires all the D Backs to know exactly where they are supposed to be at all times.  We don’t play a man coverage unit so the Deon example is appropriate.  Sherman when younger would’ve been perfect. I’m not crazy about the guy pre melt down, but he fits this scheme.

GB makes a point about Dane in that he is just not picking up this scheme as quickly as people expected.  I hope he improves, but Levi is steady and consistent since 2018.  He’s going to get targeted as what QB wants to throw at White.

Hyde and Poyer individually are each still talented, but together they know exactly what the other is thinking and work exquisitely as a tandem.

We have the players McD and Frazier want so until draft day next year or an injury, we’re going to those that are on the roster.

I think to go with Dane Jackson as your only outside corner depth in a season where the team has Superbowl aspirations would be folly. I believe they will look at whether there is a depth option out there after cut downs. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Yes, but not somebody washed up like Josh Norman. That experiment failed horribly. I really don't know who would be a good fit to be honest. It's too bad Sherman turned out to be a nut case.

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. I mean he definitely wasn't 2015-level Josh Norman, but I wouldn't say that it "failed horribly." He was a decent backup, which is what he was brought in to be.

Getting posterized by Derrick Henry has people thinking that he was the most horrible thing on the entire team last year.

• Like (+1) 1

If  and buts are candy and nuts.  If Tre goes down there aren't 5 CBs in the league that could replace his level of play.  You go with who you have and if the worst case happens and Tre gets hurt, then you go out and sign somebody.  If you sign someone now you have to cut another guy you may want to keep.