The Athletic: Bills aren’t just trying to avoid 3rd & long, they are trying to avoid 3rd down altogether

YoloinOhio

One way in which offensive coordinator Brian Daboll helped Allen last year was by calling a high percentage of passes on early downs. Those are downs when the defense might be playing with a run-stuffing nose tackle on the field or a third linebacker who struggles in coverage. The unpredictability of early downs makes it difficult for pass rushers to just pin their ears back and get after the quarterback.

On early downs in neutral situations, the Bills passed the ball 63.1 percent of the time — tied for most in the league with the Kansas City Chiefs. McDermott is a defensive-minded coach, but he came up under Andy Reid with the Philadelphia Eagles and sees the value in passing on early downs.

“Well, I like scoring points,” McDermott said.

“I think there’s a lot of people out there that think, ‘OK, defensive head coach, he’s gonna run it 50 times a game.’ I love that mindset also. But we’re gonna try to stay ahead of the game as much as we can.”

The Bills passed the ball 53.5 percent of the time on early downs in 2019, which ranked 13th. A lot of coaches talk about avoiding third-and-long. But under Daboll, the Bills self-scouted and took it a step further: Why not try to avoid third down altogether?

“I think it all goes hand in hand,” Beane said. “You’ve built trust in the quarterback. You know you gotta score points. And the best way to do that is to avoid third down.”

According to Sportradar, the Bills produced a first down on first or second down 30.8 percent of the time last season, which ranked third. They felt that they had the personnel to be aggressive on early downs, and it paid off. It would be a surprise if that approach didn’t carry over to 2021.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 23
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to The Athletic: Bills aren’t just trying to avoid 3rd & long, they are trying to avoid 3rd down altogether

Peyton Manning had the same philosophy and it makes a lot of sense.  If your play selection allows you to get a first down in one or two downs, it gives you a margin for error.  You can have a drop (I'm looking at you Dawson), or a blown pass block (Ford....), and it doesn't kill the drive.  The pre-McBeane Bills - their play selection was predicated on needing all three downs.  That meant that one mistake often led to a punt.  What is a good offensive third down percentage?  40%?  50%?  It doesn't take a genius to see that planning on going to third down all the time, when you need 4-5 first downs to score on a normal drive, is going to lead to a lot of stalled drives.

The Bills offensive philosophy right now doesn't count on them being perfect and I like that.  Actually, I love that.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6

This article by Sheil Kapadia is excellent all the way through.

I try to read every single article that gets published about the Bills, and this still contained a bunch of stuff I hadn't read elsewhere.

The quotes by Beane about the way he'll build the team moving forward (doesn't want to front-load contracts or kick the can down the road, will be looking to add veterans that are poor fits on their current team but could help the Bills) and by McDermott about embracing pass-happy offense ("we're gonna try to stay ahead of the league") were awesome.

I also found it very interesting, and had not previously heard, that Beane and Allen golfed together in Buffalo this offseason and informally talked contract to get a feel for what each side was looking for, resulting in the six-year deal, which is somewhere between Mahomes' mega-long term deal and Watson/Dak/Wentz/Goff's 4-year deals.

Great article.

• Like (+1) 6

16 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Argh!  I missed it!  I was planning on being Yolo's 60,000th reaction and he is already at 60,003.  😀

I'll give him a few thumbs down and knock him back a couple. 😉

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Schematically, the Bills’ most common coverages were Cover-3 (a three-deep zone with four underneath defenders), Cover-1 (man coverage with a single high safety) and Cover-4 (a four-deep zone with three underneath defenders). Only two teams played Cover-4 at a higher rate than the Bills. McDermott came up under Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson and focuses his principles on stopping the pass first and foremost.

“It’s still a pass-driven league, a quarterback-driven league,” McDermott said. “Other than Donovan McNabb, Jim didn’t really like the quarterbacks around the league. He hated ’em. He despised the other quarterbacks. Back then, I thought that everyone saw the game that way. But it’s clear that not everyone did. Jim was so far ahead of his time.”

Last summer, Beane and Allen were golfing at a course that’s about 15 minutes away from the team’s practice facility. They were informally discussing the recent quarterback contracts around the league. Beane got the impression that Allen definitely wanted what he deserved, but he also wanted to give the organization some flexibility to produce a strong roster around him. In between drives and putts, seeds were planted that a six-year extension might be in the best interest of both parties.

“Those shorter deals, it’s harder to move things around,” Beane said. “And so with him now having eight years, six plus the two, I can see exactly what his cap numbers are, and as we either sign or re-sign other players here, I can structure those and say, ‘Ok Josh’s cap number is really high these two years. Let’s try and work the cap numbers for this other player lower those years.’”

Going forward, Beane hopes to find value by identifying veterans who might be in the wrong situation elsewhere or might have a skill set that can be maximized in the Bills’ schemes. He was asked if he plans to partake in salary cap gymnastics by adding voidable years to contracts and kicking the can down the road, so to speak.

“I’m trying to avoid it,” Beane said.

He noted that the Bills had to restructure a couple deals this offseason and had to add a voidable year to afford Sanders. But that was due to the unexpected cap decrease with COVID-19. Those were not part of the long-term planning.

“Will I do it? Yes. Is that the way I want to do it? No,” Beane said.

Just some other bits and pieces I enjoyed from the article. It's articles like this that make me more than happy to pay for The Athletic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

People talk about not wanting to pay for content but man, The Athletic does some good stuff consistently.   This article is excellent.   It gives a good feel for what Daboll is trying to do, and what Beane is trying to do.  

Thanks Yolo.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Sweep. The. Leg.

Do you have a problem with that?

No mercy.

Funny I just watched the newer version of Karate Kid with Will Smith’s son at the gym.  You reminded me of that classic line.

it’s brassy, but can work when you have these guys.  I remember last year, I believe we threw more than any other team in the NFL last year on 1st down.

Opponents are going to be looking for it so we had better improve like we saw last week in rushing to keep them guessing.  Can’t be predictable and these guys know it.

• Like (+1) 1

In years past when it was third and long I would assume it would be a greater than 90% chance that the Bills would punt. With Josh in 2020 I was pretty confident the offense would have at least a solid 40% chance to keep the ball (not sure on the actual percentages of the teams third down success but that's just what it felt like to me). I almost never feel like the team is out on a possession. 

They definitely have the offensive fire power to be one of the teams that have fewest 3rd and 4th downs. They punted the least last season and I think that has a good chance to be repeated again this season.

Long as they can remain healthy for the most part this offense will once again be very difficult to stop.