The "Right Josh" is no longer available; signed by the Falcons.

The Dean

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

They'll never admit it...

I actually disagree. I think this narrative that Bills fans who were "wrong joshers" were actively rooting against Allen and wouldn't let go of their pre-draft guesses is overblown. How it got to be taken as gospel I don't know. Probably something about our general inferiority complex as a fan base. 

During that offseason I had times where I wanted the Bills to draft each of the top 4 prospects (I didn't want Lamar and I thought Rudolph would turn into what he has). By the time the draft rolled around I was in "play it safe" mode and wanted Rosen at that spot. I got over it very quickly because I'm a Bills fan and happily admitted my error in short order. I think this experience is pretty typical from what I've experienced on this board. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I was never a fan but he really hadn't had the best coaching staffs to work with 

Honestly imo at this point for him, I don't think it matters which coaching staff and how much better said staff can develop young QBs. I think he just isn't good and doesn't have anything to offer.

A different/better situation than what happened would have helped him for sure. I just don't think it would have made a whole heck of a lot of difference. I think he still would not be a starter if things were different.

I was never high on him like many were in the first place, but to me he is just another one of those that looked decent in college that can't compete in the pros.

I don't think I've ever seen so many 2nd and 3rd hand "reports" of a player being arrogant, entitled, etc. 

Seems that every other poster on here has a friend that went to college with Rosen that thought he was a jerk. 

I still think he was given an awfully raw deal in both ARZ and MIA. I think the quality of the roster strongly contributed towards his terrible numbers - check out Bradford's and Fitz's stats for those seasons, respectively. 

Given a stable situation and a team committed to him maybe he would've improved to being a good QB. Who can say? I will say his rookie season wasn't very much different from the right Josh's

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Wow! Really? Starting to think this kids sense of entitlement was his downfall. Sure he's cocky, but so are all young QBs. He just never bothered putting in the work.

That was his downfall at UCLA and Mora identified it early on. All the history of his dorm room hot tub and political opinions just became a distraction to his early entitlement at John Bosco. He was labeled the " chosen one" long before coming to the Rose Bowl. Thank God Brandon & Sean saw the red flags.

21 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I may be in the minority here but I actually feel kinda bad for the kid. Like Darnold I feel he didn't get the commitment to develop and build around them from the team that drafted them. You get drafted and then your new HC runs you out of town the following year. WTF Arizona!! 

That being said, I'm so glad we have our guy! Good luck to you Joshua Ballinger Lippincott Rosen😝

I have no sympathy for him. Always came off as an arrogant prick. My favorite quote of his was during an article in ESPN magazine. He was asked about his family’s wealth and he responded something like “I don’t consider us to be very wealthy”. Guy has no self awareness of anything outside of his sheltered bubble. Never had to work for anything. Complete opposite of Josh Allen and I am so thankful that Beane and McDermott could see that. 

edit, found the quote for anyone interested. 

Q:You're a rich kid who -- extrapolating here -- doesn't need, or love, the game of football.
A:OK, my family isn't, like, stupid-wealthy. But I'm coming from a place where if football doesn't work out, I don't have to work at McDonald's. Other NFL players had the same opportunities. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I don't think I've ever seen so many 2nd and 3rd hand "reports" of a player being arrogant, entitled, etc. 

Seems that every other poster on here has a friend that went to college with Rosen that thought he was a jerk. 

I still think he was given an awfully raw deal in both ARZ and MIA. I think the quality of the roster strongly contributed towards his terrible numbers - check out Bradford's and Fitz's stats for those seasons, respectively. 

Given a stable situation and a team committed to him maybe he would've improved to being a good QB. Who can say? I will say his rookie season wasn't very much different from the right Josh's

I guess you could apply the "raw deal" theory to Zach Wilson, Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance, Justin Fields ? 

Play well despite the circumstances and you'll be around while and after the team rebuilds. 

21 hours ago, Logic said:

I've said this before on this forum, but...

The split second between the words "Josh" and "Allen" coming out of Roger Goodell's mouth on draft day felt like an eternity. I so badly wanted the pick to be Rosen in that moment (I preferred Mayfield and Darnold, but both were off the board), and I was initially so despondent that the Bills had chosen Allen.

I was an idiot. I mean, I'm STILL an idiot, but....boy oh boy, was I wrong. It is unquestionably the happiest I've ever been to be so wrong in my life.

As for Rosen now? Well...I'm just not sure he's going to get many more opportunities. After you've flamed out with three teams in so short a time after being a 1st round draft picks...not sure how many teams are going to keep taking swings at you.

I second all this.  I was not happy with the Allen pick, but did recognize if he became the one in a million to come from where he was to make it happen, he had no ceiling.  I just didn’t think he would.  Very happy to be sitting here today, very wrong.

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I only looked up Fitz's numbers in 2019 vs Wrong Josh. Fitz was 5-8, had a much higher completion %, a 20-13 TD/TO ratio vs Josh 1-5 ratio. Fitz was not great but only competent and much better.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I guess you could apply the "raw deal" theory to Zach Wilson, Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance, Justin Fields ? 

Play well despite the circumstances and you'll be around while and after the team rebuilds. 

Not at all. I'd have to wait until after this season (and next offseason). If Wilson or Lawrence struggle while playing on terrible rosters and end up getting traded after 1 season, then yes, I would call that a raw deal. 

Should we have cut Josh Allen after his rookie season because he struggled on a terrible roster ?

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I only looked up Fitz's numbers in 2019 vs Wrong Josh. Fitz was 5-8, had a much higher completion %, a 20-13 TD/TO ratio vs Josh 1-5 ratio. Fitz was not great but only competent and much better.

I was mostly thinking of how the Dolphins started the 2019 season with Fitz at the helm. Through 2 games Fitz was 25/50 for 276 yards with 1 TD and 4 INTs. They lost those games by a combined scored of 102-10. Rosen started the next 3 games and did almost as poorly as Fitz. After they went back to Fitz as starter he cobbled together a pretty impressive season given the state of that roster. 

21 hours ago, cage said:

Think of the close calls.  I'm still convinced that if Denver hadn't traded up to take Tebow, we would have grabbed him we would have been looking to take him.  He had dinner w/ Jim Kelly during a trip to Buffalo during draft process and had his stamp of approval.  Just imagine if we had drafted Tebow... and then followed that up with Rosen.  Did I just say all that out loud?!?

Even worse....

Drafting Rosen, and passing on Allen AND Mahomes the year prior.

Good article on Rosen from the hometown newspaper where Rosen was drafted.  The quotes from all of the experts would indicate that those of us who were pro-Rosen had good reason.  That's why we are fans, the sports writers are writers, and Beane is the GM of a highly successful franchise.

Josh Rosen cut by San Francisco 49ers: How were NFL writers so wrong about quarterback?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2021/08/18/josh-rosen-nfl-writers-arizona-cardinals-2018-draft/8180850002/

15 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Trolling? Cmon dude. Just saying he wasn't put in the best situations to succeed. Not a very good team in Arizona albeit a lot better than what Josh had.  I'm not saying he would've set the world ablaze, he probably would've still sucked. I kinda get his cocky entitled attitude rubbed people the wrong way. You don't think Josh has some cockiness to him? Plenty of players have already come out and said he does his fair share of 💩 talking. To his credit he just keeps it on the field. 

Glad you were not trolling.  I could care less about his attitude or "cockiness".

It just seems to me he is not an NFL QB and he has kind of proven that on his last 3 teams.

Maybe someone else will give him another chance and if so we will see how that goes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

No more raw a deal than EJ Manuel.  And Josh's numbers are worse - lower comp %, higher int%, higher sack %, lower Y/A and AY/A, lower TD%, fewer rushing yards.  He was statistically worse in like very category of quarterbacking.  

His numbers are worse than David blough in 2019.  Slightly better than the Luke Falk Jets offense that scored 3 points in 2 weeks.

I just look at his game log and see the numbers of a guy who needs to get the ball out quick, but doesn't. There isn't a team willing to give him snaps at this point, and rightfully so.  He has to catch on somewhere, be a backup, and make plays if he can ever see the field.  I'm sure SF was probably a good spot last year as Garoppolo has been hurt before, but then they grabbed lance.  It's all luck at this point.