Chiefs = Paper Tigers

Dr. K

“Nobody in the AFC can hang with the chiefs. We obviously need to pencil them in for their 3rd straight Super Bowl even though only 2 other teams in the history of the league have done it. In fact they’ll probably make the next 4 or 5 in a row.  Screw the odds and historical trends. They are an absolute juggernaut” 

-Every media outlet/member under the sun 

5 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

If they are so invincible, how the hell did eight teams--including the Panthers and Falcons--come within a touchdown of beating them? Not to mention the two teams that did beat them, by 12 and 17 points in the regular season. And then they lost the Super Bowl by 22 points.  

bro they were on cruise control in the regular season  when you are that good you just turn it on when you need a drive  those teams never had a chance ... they went 13-1 mahomes rested the last game.  the NFL is about matchups . like i said TB had pressure with 4 and Speed everywhere  in the back 7 .

Edited by snowbelt_subie
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I get it that the Chiefs are the favorites in the AFC, and probably should be. But they also went into the Super Bowl favored to win. I said before the game that they would lose, and lose by double figures. 

Why? If you looked at their OL, you would realize that all of their starting offensive lineman we’re injured and had a bunch of bums out there blocking for Mahomes.  

Fixed

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I get it that the Chiefs are the favorites in the AFC, and probably should be. But they also went into the Super Bowl favored to win. I said before the game that they would lose, and lose by double figures. 

Why? If you look at their play last season, especially in the second half of the season, they barely squeaked out eight of their wins. They lost to the Raiders and Chargers, and in other games:

beat the Chargers by 3 in OT

beat the Panthers by 2

beat the Raiders by 4

beat the Bucks by 3

beat the Broncos by 6

beat the Dolphins by 6

beat the Saints by 3

beat the Falcons by 3

A good team will win many close games, but when a team wins that many games by less than a touchdown you can expect a regression to the mean. Despite  Mahomes and Kelce and Hill, and the fact they beat the Bills twice last year, I don't see any reason the Bills should be quaking in their boots about playing them. 

I predict the Chiefs will have a fall off this season and would not be at all surprised if they fail to make the playoffs. They lived on the edge last season and when you do that, you are in danger of falling off. 

id be more curious how they won those. Example - like 5 years ago Atlanta had similar with an insane turnover differential that didn’t tie back to anything meaningful (ie pressure) but mostly lucky bounces. They fell off a cliff predictably. Hell, our own fitz magic season was similar with outcomes not matching underlying indicators that first month. 

Without doing a deep dive and just a gut reaction on a couple games I watched, I didn’t get that feeling from the chiefs last year.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I hope you are right but sad to say, great teams win close games, the NFL is about parity.

The Chiefs owned the Bills in the championship game.  The beat us at the line of scrimmage.  Lets hope our O Line improves and we can actually run the ball  and our D Line shows up with the additions, we revert back to a top 5 defense, then we can handle the chiefs.

I'd say they owned us in both games. First one they just ran and it looked closer than it was. We couldn't stop them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

If they are so invincible, how the hell did eight teams--including the Panthers and Falcons--come within a touchdown of beating them? Not to mention the two teams that did beat them, by 12 and 17 points in the regular season. And then they lost the Super Bowl by 22 points.  

The Chiefs rested their entire first string in week 17.  Other than that, they were 14-1.  Buffalo was 6-1 in one score games while getting blown out three times (two of which were by Kansas City).

If you're going to play this game, you have to apply the same rules to everyone.

8 minutes ago, snowbelt_subie said:

bro they were on cruise control in the regular season  when you are that good you just turn it on when you need a drive  those teams never had a chance ... they went 13-1 mahomes rested the last game.  the NFL is about matchups . like i said TB had pressure with 4 and Speed everywhere  in the back 7 .

TB got the Chiefs in at the right time with the D Line peaking and the Chiefs O Line a mess

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I'd say they owned us in both games. First one they just ran and it looked closer than it was. We couldn't stop them. 

the real question we should be asking is why couldnt they stop them?  could they get no pressure?   Could they not matchup and cover their weapons?  

Did they address the problems or is it going to be more the same this year? 

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

The Chiefs rested their entire first string in week 17.  Other than that, they were 14-1.  Buffalo was 6-1 in one score games while getting blown out three times (two of which were by Kansas City).

If you're going to play this game, you have to apply the same rules to everyone.

Indeed it has been a feature of McDermott's tenure here. He has been good in one score games.

• Agree 2

I watched a few of those Chiefs games, and have to say, even if the final score was close they completely dominated. 

The Bucs game (regular season) Tyreek Hill had 200+ yards and 3 TDs....by halftime. They had a 17 point lead going into the 4th and took their foot off the gas. 

The Dolphins game they scored 30 unanswered points including 21 points in < 3 minutes of game time. They had a 20 point lead going into the 4th before taking their foot off the gas. 

They are so talented they can beat quality teams when they only bring their "A game" for 1-2 quarters and sleep walk through the 4th. 

They might miss the playoffs....if Mahomes gets injured. Other than that they are overwhelming favorites to make the playoffs, and well deserved favorites to win the SB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

id be more curious how they won those. Example - like 5 years ago Atlanta had similar with an insane turnover differential that didn’t tie back to anything meaningful (ie pressure) but mostly lucky bounces. They fell off a cliff predictably. Hell, our own fitz magic season was similar with outcomes not matching underlying indicators that first month. 

Without doing a deep dive and just a gut reaction on a couple games I watched, I didn’t get that feeling from the chiefs last year.

Remember (maybe you aren’t this old), the season where Jarious Byrd could not be in the wrong place? He had the ball fall in his lap the minute he walked on the field.  It won the Bills a lot of games by way of “stopping” drives where it was just a random tip that practically got stuck in his face mask.  It happens that teams get a lucky streak, heck a lucky season.  The Falcons that year played in a WEAK division and got a lot of bounces, the next year they got slapped around like they did in the playoffs when they ran into a real team. 

The Chiefs have dominated almost every team they have played in the last 2 years and whooped the Bills handedly.  This is not a team that’s gotten by on beating up on garbage teams.  They have had some off days, every team does,  but to look at them and regard them as anything less than the best team in the AFC and arguably the best team in the NFL is just silly.   The Bucs did get hot at the right time and they did catch some major breaks (like virtually the entire Chiefs starting OL being out), and they did win, so if you want to say they are the team to beat until proven otherwise, fine.   There’s still no reasonable argument the Chiefs aren’t the second best team or better. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Why? If you look at their play last season, especially in the second half of the season, they barely squeaked out eight of their wins. They lost to the Raiders and Chargers, and in other games:

beat the Chargers by 3 in OT

beat the Panthers by 2

beat the Raiders by 4

beat the Bucks by 3

beat the Broncos by 6

beat the Dolphins by 6

beat the Saints by 3

beat the Falcons by 3

A good team will win many close games, but when a team wins that many games by less than a touchdown you can expect a regression to the mean. Despite  Mahomes and Kelce and Hill, and the fact they beat the Bills twice last year, I don't see any reason the Bills should be quaking in their boots about playing them. 

I predict the Chiefs will have a fall off this season and would not be at all surprised if they fail to make the playoffs. They lived on the edge last season and when you do that, you are in danger of falling off. 

all you have to do is win. By how much doesn't matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.