Chiefs = Paper Tigers

Dr. K

Just now, snowbelt_subie said:

the real question we should be asking is why couldnt they stop them?  could they get no pressure?   Could they not matchup and cover their weapons?  

Did they address the problems or is it going to be more the same this year? 

I feel like its a scheme thing, we executed it better in the first contest and got pasted in the second one. The scheme is literally 'take away Kelce and Hill' and force Mahomes to earn every yard, keep everything in front of your front 7. Our biggest issues here were run defense and no pressure from our front 4. Run D was so bad that 'in front' was basically 'free first down' and we just couldn't get Mahomes on his back with our front 4.

Unless the entire OL is second string (like in the SB) the Chiefs effectively will get ~21-24 points just because Mahomes is gonna get his yards, you gotta keep the play in front of you and you're not going to be able to cover Hill and Kelce on every single play. You just have to keep the points around there and score more.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The Chiefs have dominated almost every team they have played in the last 2 years 

I agree that they are the best team in the conference (not much argument otherwise imo), but I don't know that I agree with this statement.  As mentioned in the OP they have had a lot of close games (like 17 one score games in the past 2 years, not all with Mahomes).  They have been damn near unstoppable for parts of a game but at this point there seem to be two trends.  They will be hot and cold during a game, and they are good in close games.  To me this further indicates the need to be able to run the ball against them.  That should hopefully cool them off when they are in one of their hot streaks, and also shorten the game if they start off cold.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Remember (maybe you aren’t this old), the season where Jarious Byrd could not be in the wrong place? He had the ball fall in his lap the minute he walked on the field.  It won the Bills a lot of games by way of “stopping” drives where it was just a random tip that practically got stuck in his face mask.  It happens that teams get a lucky streak, heck a lucky season.  The Falcons that year played in a WEAK division and got a lot of bounces, the next year they got slapped around like they did in the playoffs when they ran into a real team. 

The Chiefs have dominated almost every team they have played in the last 2 years and whooped the Bills handedly.  This is not a team that’s gotten by on beating up on garbage teams.  They have had some off days, every team does,  but to look at them and regard them as anything less than the best team in the AFC and arguably the best team in the NFL is just silly.   The Bucs did get hot at the right time and they did catch some major breaks (like virtually the entire Chiefs starting OL being out), and they did win, so if you want to say they are the team to beat until proven otherwise, fine.   There’s still no reasonable argument the Chiefs aren’t the second best team or better. 

I remember well i said so  at the BBMB and got blasted, the response was always well he made the play.  No, he got lucky repeatedly and a lot of the credit goes to Mark Sanchez that he would just heave the ball downfield and Byrd played outfield effectively.

2 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I agree that they are the best team in the conference (not much argument otherwise imo), but I don't know that I agree with this statement.  As mentioned in the OP they have had a lot of close games (like 17 one score games in the past 2 years, not all with Mahomes).  They have been damn near unstoppable for parts of a game but at this point there seem to be two trends.  They will be hot and cold during a game, and they are good in close games.  To me this further indicates the need to be able to run the ball against them.  That should hopefully cool them off when they are in one of their hot streaks, and also shorten the game if they start off cold.  

Excellent observation.  

58 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I get it that the Chiefs are the favorites in the AFC, and probably should be. But they also went into the Super Bowl favored to win. I said before the game that they would lose, and lose by double figures. 

Why? If you look at their play last season, especially in the second half of the season, they barely squeaked out eight of their wins. They lost to the Raiders and Chargers, and in other games:

beat the Chargers by 3 in OT

beat the Panthers by 2

beat the Raiders by 4

beat the Bucks by 3

beat the Broncos by 6

beat the Dolphins by 6

beat the Saints by 3

beat the Falcons by 3

A good team will win many close games, but when a team wins that many games by less than a touchdown you can expect a regression to the mean. Despite  Mahomes and Kelce and Hill, and the fact they beat the Bills twice last year, I don't see any reason the Bills should be quaking in their boots about playing them. 

I predict the Chiefs will have a fall off this season and would not be at all surprised if they fail to make the playoffs. They lived on the edge last season and when you do that, you are in danger of falling off. 

Nice post, I do think they’ll make the playoffs though. Never, ever any reason to be scared of an Andy Reid team in the playoffs. If you let them beat you, you’ve only got yourself to blame (sorry McD).

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

If they are so invincible, how the hell did eight teams--including the Panthers and Falcons--come within a touchdown of beating them? Not to mention the two teams that did beat them, by 12 and 17 points in the regular season. And then they lost the Super Bowl by 22 points.  

The Falcons missed a game tying FG at the end of the game, too, where Koo is almost automatic.

18 minutes ago, uninja said:

I feel like its a scheme thing, we executed it better in the first contest and got pasted in the second one. The scheme is literally 'take away Kelce and Hill' and force Mahomes to earn every yard, keep everything in front of your front 7. Our biggest issues here were run defense and no pressure from our front 4. Run D was so bad that 'in front' was basically 'free first down' and we just couldn't get Mahomes on his back with our front 4.

Unless the entire OL is second string (like in the SB) the Chiefs effectively will get ~21-24 points just because Mahomes is gonna get his yards, you gotta keep the play in front of you and you're not going to be able to cover Hill and Kelce on every single play. You just have to keep the points around there and score more.

idk if playing zone against mahomes will work i feel like they will eat that up .  needs to be more man + zone/robbers with the free players.   the big thing is getting pressure with 4 consistently. 

So I certainly appreciate the title of the thread (the whole idea is to get a response from people and that certainly worked) but the premise is off. They won the close games and in the games I watched they never seemed to not be in control and you were always nervous that they were 1 play away from the game being a blowout. They are beatable for sure, but they are still the team to beat in the AFC 

The Chiefs had 8 plays of 20 yards or more in the AFC championship game. Until the Bills limit that number, they will not beat the Chiefs. Also, kicking field goals in the red zone against a high scoring team limits your chances. Hopefully, a better pass rush and running game help the cause. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Remember (maybe you aren’t this old), the season where Jarious Byrd could not be in the wrong place? He had the ball fall in his lap the minute he walked on the field.  It won the Bills a lot of games by way of “stopping” drives where it was just a random tip that practically got stuck in his face mask.  It happens that teams get a lucky streak, heck a lucky season.  The Falcons that year played in a WEAK division and got a lot of bounces, the next year they got slapped around like they did in the playoffs when they ran into a real team. 

The Chiefs have dominated almost every team they have played in the last 2 years and whooped the Bills handedly.  This is not a team that’s gotten by on beating up on garbage teams.  They have had some off days, every team does,  but to look at them and regard them as anything less than the best team in the AFC and arguably the best team in the NFL is just silly.   The Bucs did get hot at the right time and they did catch some major breaks (like virtually the entire Chiefs starting OL being out), and they did win, so if you want to say they are the team to beat until proven otherwise, fine.   There’s still no reasonable argument the Chiefs aren’t the second best team or better. 

yup- heck, didn’t Atlanta have a game that year where they were driving from behind with like two mins left, turn the ball over and then the defender fumbled back to them and they ended up scoring to win right behind it? Just stupid good luck all season but I don’t fully recall the details game by game. 

sometimes you are just blessed with a lucky win. Or several. Likewise cursed with unlucky losses. 

But those outcomes tend to regress towards an average. I really never picked that up with the chiefs last year though. 

I disagree with the premise of this thread for the simple obvious fact that we were 0-2 against them last year, and never really competed with them particularly in the AFC Championship that was essentially over at halftime despite getting off to a 9-0 lead early.

With that said, it will be interesting to see what they look like this year especially Mahomes after finally having a truly terrible game. I think defensively they are still very average at best (unless they are facing us in which they looked like the #1 defense twice) and they aren't very deep on offense once you get past the likes of Kelce and Cheetah.  Also will they start blowing out teams again or play down to the level of competition like most of last season?

But until the Bills prove they can not only hang with the Chiefs for 4 quarters and actually beat them they are the odds on favorites in the AFC.

27 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

How is a team that's gone to 2 consecutive SB's and winning 1 considered a "paper tiger"?

They beat the Texans, Titans, and a Kyle Shanahan team to win their Super Bowl. 

They were exposed as frauds in the second Super Bowl.

• Haha (+1) 2

How do you classify a team that won the SB 2 years ago, made it to the SB last year, while kicking our ass twice in the process, and who has the best QB in the NFL(until proven otherwise) as a paper tiger?

That just doesn't compute.  A paper tiger is a team that looks good on paper but doesn't do anything in the big games when it counts.  Clearly that isn't them.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.