Chiefs = Paper Tigers

Dr. K

I get it that the Chiefs are the favorites in the AFC, and probably should be. But they also went into the Super Bowl favored to win. I said before the game that they would lose, and lose by double figures. 

Why? If you look at their play last season, especially in the second half of the season, they barely squeaked out eight of their wins. They lost to the Raiders and Chargers, and in other games:

beat the Chargers by 3 in OT

beat the Panthers by 2

beat the Raiders by 4

beat the Bucks by 3

beat the Broncos by 6

beat the Dolphins by 6

beat the Saints by 3

beat the Falcons by 3

A good team will win many close games, but when a team wins that many games by less than a touchdown you can expect a regression to the mean. Despite  Mahomes and Kelce and Hill, and the fact they beat the Bills twice last year, I don't see any reason the Bills should be quaking in their boots about playing them. 

I predict the Chiefs will have a fall off this season and would not be at all surprised if they fail to make the playoffs. They lived on the edge last season and when you do that, you are in danger of falling off. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

They played bored the second half of last season and were not at their best and they did struggle to turn it on fully in the playoffs. There is no way they will miss the postseason. 

That said their new look offensive line still needs time to gel. Orlando Brown is still adjusting to more deep drops than he was used to in Baltimore and Lucas Niang is struggling a bit at right tackle. On the flip side Trey Smith at right guard who they took after he slid to round 6 because of injuries has been one of their stars of camp and had a solid pre-season debut. At least on the interior their oline is going to be upgraded. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I hope you are right but sad to say, great teams win close games, the NFL is about parity.

The Chiefs owned the Bills in the championship game.  The beat us at the line of scrimmage.  Lets hope our O Line improves and we can actually run the ball  and our D Line shows up with the additions, we revert back to a top 5 defense, then we can handle the chiefs.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I hope you are right but sad to say, great teams win close games, the NFL is about parity.

The Chiefs owned the Bills in the championship game.  The beat us at the line of scrimmage.  Lets hope our O Line improves and we can actually run the ball  and our D Line shows up with the additions, we revert back to a top 5 defense, then we can handle the chiefs.

I don't disagree--the Chiefs beat the Bills badly in the title game. It was their best performance in the last three months of their season.

They went 8-0 in one-score games in 2020. So maybe they'll just blow everybody out this season, but I doubt it. They won't go 8-0 in one-score games again. 

the unbiased peter king article from the camp visit summed it well... in both games last season, the bills played the chiefs competetively for the first half, but were outscored and really outclassed in the second half of each, so lets see if we closed the gap as the chiefs worked as well to improve their O line and like most teams had a good draft...who improved more, who is avoiding injuries, etc

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

the unbiased peter king article from the camp visit summed it well... in both games last season, the bills played the chiefs competetively for the first half, but were outscored and really outclassed in the second half of each, so lets see if we closed the gap as the chiefs worked as well to improve their O line and like most teams had a good draft...who improved more, who is avoiding injuries, etc

the challenge for all the top AFC teams is being able to match up with KC's offense.  You need speed cover guys and you need to get pressure preferably with 4.

if you cant get pressure with 4 mahomes will sit back and eventually find someone.   if you have to blitz  and rely on your cover guys ... do you have the players to match up one on one ?   if not you are toast...

Edited by snowbelt_subie

Just now, snowbelt_subie said:

the challenge for all the top AFC teams is being able to match up with KC's offense.  You need speed cover guys and you need to get pressure preferably with 4.

if you cant get pressure with 4 mahomes will sit back and eventually find someone.   if you have to blitz  and rely on your cover guys ... do you have the players to match up ?   if not you are toast...

If they are so invincible, how the hell did eight teams--including the Panthers and Falcons--come within a touchdown of beating them? Not to mention the two teams that did beat them, by 12 and 17 points in the regular season. And then they lost the Super Bowl by 22 points.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.