Traveling to game/Airport Question

TFBillsfan

11 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I've done it a couple times but you really need to be careful about where you park to make sure you can get out.  I'm sure there are other ways but each time I've done it I parked out at the ECC lot, walked with a distinct purpose after the game, gone left onto Southwestern (there is usually a traffic cop that opens a hole for you), immediate right onto Brompton, right onto McKinley.  Depending on how you are doing at that point you can either roll McKinley to Milestrip and go left on Milestrip and then over to the I-90, or you can go McKinley to Lake, Lake to Rt 5, Rt 5 to the 190. 190 South to Elm Exit, take Elm to the Kensington and then on to the airport. That way you miss the Thruway which gets funny sometimes.  It's not the most direct route, but it will be moving and is very unlikely to jam up on you.  The way I do it from McKinley if I'm really felling prickish or if people leave early and the traffic gets crap quickly or if the game runs very long is to make a left off McKinley into the Wegmans parking lot then make a right into the plaza to the right of the Wegmans and keep going. All the parking lots of the strip centers are attached and you can go all the way through and come out by the Home Depot at a traffic light on Milestrip that will let you make a left and skip an absolute ton of stopped traffic then get on the 90.  It's a dick move but a missed plane is no bueno and I'm sorry but sometimes you need to do what you need to do.  If McKinley is screwed and I can't go the other way that's a bailout.

Other helpful tidbits, pack light if possible and don't try to check bags, make sure you can do a carry-on. It speeds up the process.  Have everything in the car with you at the game, no going back to a hotel, go directly to the airport.  Also, if you have TSA precheck it helps with the airport line.  There are a couple flights that leave at that time and it sometimes backs up.

What else ya got folks?

Those are usually the last flights out on Sunday night.

Yes, never ever ever park in one of the main stadium lots. Ever. and if you park in a private lot make sure they don't block you in.

No offense but this is horrible advice.  Park in LOT 5 right off of Southwestern.  Make sure you park as close to the middle aisle as possible and make sure you park turn to left side not the right side(if your facing the stadium.  Take southwestern all the way to the airport(it will turn into transit) make a left onto genessee and that will take you right into the airport.  You will be at the airport at the latest by 5 and should have plenty of time.  

& before you say I don't know what I am talking about I live in South Lancaster & I am usually home for a 1pm game no later than 4:35 or so.  The airport is about 15 minutes away from me heading north.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Looking to bring my daughter to her first game this year. Flying round trip from Atlanta. The last direct flight on Sunday is at 6:41 pm. Is it realistic to make it to the airport in time after the game or would we need to leave the game early? My spouse doesn’t want her to miss school. We’d most likely have a rental car. Any help would be much appreciated.

Where you park makes a HUGE difference on how fast you can escape the post game traffic crush. Here's my suggestion. Works for me every time. The downside is you will park pretty far from the stadium, but that's the trade off.

You must park at Team Pro Auto Care Center on the corner of Southwestern Blvd and Taylor St. It's about 0.8 miles to the stadium, about a 20 minute walk.

The beauty of that spot is you are on the outbound (eastbound) side of Southwestern and past all the usual stadium gridlock. You pull out and you are on your way. There will be some slowdowns at traffic lights but it's not that bad.

6:40 flight, need to get to BUF by 5:30, if you leave the stadium by 4:30, you'll be in your car by 4:50 and will make it in plenty of time.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I did this a few years ago (not flying to / from Atlanta, but similar timeframe) 
I ended up leaving midway through the 4th quarter just to make sure I made it safe.  Leaving a little early, especially if you park a little further from the stadium can save a big chunk of time with traffic.

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

No offense but this is horrible advice.  Park in LOT 5 right off of Southwestern.  Make sure you park as close to the middle aisle as possible and make sure you park turn to left side not the right side(if your facing the stadium.  Take southwestern all the way to the airport(it will turn into transit) make a left onto genessee and that will take you right into the airport.  You will be at the airport at the latest by 5 and should have plenty of time.  

& before you say I don't know what I am talking about I live in South Lancaster & I am usually home for a 1pm game no later than 4:35 or so.  The airport is about 15 minutes away from me heading north.  

That's fine. I said right at the beginning there is more than one way to do it and I'm sure many people have many different experiences.  My experiences with Lot 5, Lot 4, and Lot 2 (especially Lot 4) are all highly negative with regard to getting out in a timely manner but to each his own.

Edited by That's No Moon

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. Really appreciate everyone’s input. Based upon feedback, we’ve decided to fly back Monday morning. Worried I’ll be more focused on getting to the airport than truly enjoying the game with my daughter. Plus if there is any type of accident or delay, we’d most likely miss our flight.

Lets Go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

This would kind of be like flipping a coin. Equal chance for it to go either way.

Like others said if you are in the main lot forget it. You might be able to get to a restaurant 5 minutes down the road by 6:41 if you are lucky.

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Park in LOT 5 right off of Southwestern.  Make sure you park as close to the middle aisle as possible and make sure you park turn to left side not the right side(if your facing the stadium.  Take southwestern all the way to the airport(it will turn into transit) make a left onto genessee and that will take you right into the airport.  You will be at the airport at the latest by 5 and should have plenty of time.  

Just saved this info for future reference.  Thx.

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

I used to park in lot 5, and what you say is correct.  Only problem is that if you want a really good spot, you have to get there early, because everyone has figured that out.   But if you get there early, you're right.  You can park along the middle exit aisle (back in!!!!).

Even when you have a good spot, the traffic sometimes used to get backed up, but I think the Bills now have it figured out pretty well, and the cars just pour out onto Southwestern.   I think 5 is a little optimistic, but you should be able to get to the airport by 5:30, comfortably.  I like my way better, because I get out of the game traffic a lot faster - on Southwestern, it can be pretty heavy for 15 minutes or more.  

The other point that's maybe obvious is that leaving early helps, but I never leave early.  And if the game is a blowout, then a lot of people leave early, and that helps if you stay for the end of the game, because a lot of the traffic is out and moving before you ever get to you car. 

Finally, if your car and the getaway route are on the other side of the stadium from your seats, I'd suggest staying inside the stadium and walking around to the other side inside the stadium, to the greatest extent possible.  If you leave the stadium on the wrong side, you're plowing through the mob of people outside, heading in all different directions.  That can add 10 minutes to your walk.  

I used to live in ATL and took the late Delta Sunday flight all the time. Never had a problem making the flight. I always parked in the neighborhood across from Kettles on Abbott. You can drive through the neighborhood to Niles Ave, turn right on Milestrip, then hit 219. Had time to check my bag and relax at the gate. Again, never a problem, and never had to leave the game early. The flight usually had parents of players, and even had Thurman Thomas on it one time.

48 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I used to park in lot 5, and what you say is correct.  Only problem is that if you want a really good spot, you have to get there early, because everyone has figured that out.   But if you get there early, you're right.  You can park along the middle exit aisle (back in!!!!).

Even when you have a good spot, the traffic sometimes used to get backed up, but I think the Bills now have it figured out pretty well, and the cars just pour out onto Southwestern.   I think 5 is a little optimistic, but you should be able to get to the airport by 5:30, comfortably.  I like my way better, because I get out of the game traffic a lot faster - on Southwestern, it can be pretty heavy for 15 minutes or more.  

The other point that's maybe obvious is that leaving early helps, but I never leave early.  And if the game is a blowout, then a lot of people leave early, and that helps if you stay for the end of the game, because a lot of the traffic is out and moving before you ever get to you car. 

Finally, if your car and the getaway route are on the other side of the stadium from your seats, I'd suggest staying inside the stadium and walking around to the other side inside the stadium, to the greatest extent possible.  If you leave the stadium on the wrong side, you're plowing through the mob of people outside, heading in all different directions.  That can add 10 minutes to your walk.  

Back in the days I had season tickets & used to run just about every day I used to get to drive 5 & park in the 1st row closest to the exit.  It didn't matter which part of the row I was in because I could get out quickly from that row to the exit aisle & right to the exit.  Now back in those days I used to drive back to Albany the same night so a lot of times I met my friends at the game & I was the only one in my car so I could run to my car.  If I had a passenger back to Albany I couldn't run, but we still got out fairly quick.  

In later years, I now park on California near Southwestern & avoid any stadium lot traffic.  I usually go home on Monday, because I stay over in Depew Sunday night but I always make it in plenty of time for dinner.  I only go to 1 or 2 games a season these days.  I've always found the best way is to either go straight down Rt 20 all the way to the Depew exit of the Thruway, past the large toll booths where the traffic can jam, or make a left on Union & then cut over to Transit either around West Seneca or Cheektowaga.  

There was one case where I would take the Thruway back in my running days:  If the game was so tight that very few people left early, the roads would be empty. I'd run to my car, beat most of the traffic out of drive 5, right on Southwestern, left on Mile Strip to 219, get on 219 north & get on the Thruway.  The whole key was it only worked when virtually nobody left early & the game was won on the last play, like a game winning field goal.  I once made it home at 8:30 when the game ended on a field goal with 0:00 left on the clock.  

17 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you can be at the airport at 5:30, return the car, and get to your plane.   

Park in a private lot on Big Tree.   Make it a private lot on the south side of Big Tree, not the north side.  Someplace around Kings Court, or a little past it toward the stadium.   It's about a 15, 20 minute walk to the stadium.  

Game's over at 4:15.   Pray for no overtime.  Depending on where your seats are, it will take a half hour to get to the car.  You've parked on the south side of Big Tree so that you can turn right out of your lot, heading east.   The traffic usually is bumper to bumper, but moving okay.  Somebody will always let you into the traffic as you're pulling out.   Drive past California, and past 219.    Usually past 219 the traffic opens up, moves pretty well.   Drive straight through Orchard Park and turn left on 187.   That's Transit Road.   Take Transit all the way north to Genesee Street.  Turn left on Genesee and you're at the airport.

Once you're past 219, the traffic lightens up, and that's only a mile from where you parked.  There's usually a backup in the center of Orchard Park, and you may have wait for the light to cycle through once or twice.  Sometimes I turn right off of Big Tree just past 219, then turn left again, and I can avoid the light.  Past the light, it's always smooth sailing.  And Transit Road traffic, although it gets a little heavy, is never very bad.  

Google maps says it's 25 minutes.  If you get to your car at 4:30, even if it takes an hour, you'll be there at 5:30.   

I've parked there for years.   I need to get on I-90 to get home, and this route works really well.  I stay on Big Tree all the way to East Aurora, and then I start heading north and east on the back roads all the way to Batavia.  All open road. I get on 90 there, and by then the traffic is heavy but moving at 65-70 mph.   

So known I know who gives me a lawn job on my old lawn  every Sunday night in Marilla ny 😅

18 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

So now I know who gives me a lawn job on my old lawn  every Sunday night in Marilla ny 😅

When I was a kid in Amherst, my grandfather would talk about all those towns out there.   Now, I drive through them all after Bills games!  Elma and Marilla and Alden and Corfu.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Back in the days I had season tickets & used to run just about every day I used to get to drive 5 & park in the 1st row closest to the exit.  It didn't matter which part of the row I was in because I could get out quickly from that row to the exit aisle & right to the exit.  Now back in those days I used to drive back to Albany the same night so a lot of times I met my friends at the game & I was the only one in my car so I could run to my car.  If I had a passenger back to Albany I couldn't run, but we still got out fairly quick.  

In later years, I now park on California near Southwestern & avoid any stadium lot traffic.  I usually go home on Monday, because I stay over in Depew Sunday night but I always make it in plenty of time for dinner.  I only go to 1 or 2 games a season these days.  I've always found the best way is to either go straight down Rt 20 all the way to the Depew exit of the Thruway, past the large toll booths where the traffic can jam, or make a left on Union & then cut over to Transit either around West Seneca or Cheektowaga.  

There was one case where I would take the Thruway back in my running days:  If the game was so tight that very few people left early, the roads would be empty. I'd run to my car, beat most of the traffic out of drive 5, right on Southwestern, left on Mile Strip to 219, get on 219 north & get on the Thruway.  The whole key was it only worked when virtually nobody left early & the game was won on the last play, like a game winning field goal.  I once made it home at 8:30 when the game ended on a field goal with 0:00 left on the clock.  

I never ran, but I didn't start going to games as an adult until I was 60!   But I know what you're saying.  I drive to Connecticut, so I have two hours left when you're pulling into your driveway.   It's all about getting out of the stadium traffic as fast as you can. That's what's so good about my route.  Going east on Big Tree is better that way than Southwestern.  

Up until this year, I'd drive all the way on Sunday night, get home about 11:15 or so.  If the Sunday night game is close, I usually walk in the door and catch the last 2-3 minutes.  This season, I've vowed to drive just part way, stop by 8, stay over, and drive the last four hours on Monday morning.  East Syracuse is looking like my stopover.  Take the wifey out for a nice supper, and then snuggle up for the game. 

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

When I was a kid in Amherst, my grandfather would talk about all those towns out there.   Now, I drive through them all after Bills games!  Elma and Marilla and Alden and Corfu.

That is where I grew up 1 sheriff in Elma and police in alden 

Speed was key at Iroquois high school 

If I remember this year i will pm you where are tailgate is

On 8/17/2021 at 1:24 PM, Shaw66 said:

That last piece of advice is really important.  Our seats are in 108 so it is easy to get to lot 5 but obviously if your on the other side of the stadium it will take much longer.  Usually once you get by California it is smooth sailing, maybe get caught in a few lights but the traffic is always moving.  You do got to get there early or your right buried in the back but the lots don't open to 9 so it is a good time to get there but agreed if you want to get there later this probably isnt the best option.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:32 AM, That's No Moon said:

That's fine. I said right at the beginning there is more than one way to do it and I'm sure many people have many different experiences.  My experiences with Lot 5, Lot 4, and Lot 2 (especially Lot 4) are all highly negative with regard to getting out in a timely manner but to each his own.

Fair enough, I have never tried your way so I shouldn't of said that.  Sorry about that.

On 8/17/2021 at 12:30 PM, TFBillsfan said:

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. Really appreciate everyone’s input. Based upon feedback, we’ve decided to fly back Monday morning. Worried I’ll be more focused on getting to the airport than truly enjoying the game with my daughter. Plus if there is any type of accident or delay, we’d most likely miss our flight.

Lets Go Buffalo!

Good luck! I looked at google flights out of curiosity and saw that you can land by 9am Monday and likely hit most of the school day. Hope it works out well! 

On 8/16/2021 at 10:55 PM, Process said:

Plenty of time is definitely a stretch lol. Sure if everything goes perfect he could make it. But it's a gamble at best.

I personally wouldn't do it. 

this.  will be close.  depends on your risk tolerance.  I drive up and back from PIT on gamedays and parking further from the stadium helps avoid traffic, but sometimes things go wrong with traffic.