Dion Dawkins “not close to where he needs to be to help us”

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, MJS said:

We don't know how sick he was or wasn't. It's all conjecture to this point. Having symptoms could mean a lot of different things.

This may be the only 100% factually accurate post on this topic apart from the OP. Too many assumptions and random health expertise. Let’s just hope he’s in game shape soon, that’s what matters from

a football prospective, and for the man himself.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's not long-haul and not going to explain the diff. here,

But yes, he probably does have some lingering effects.   For example Myles Garrett said he had lasting pulmonary symptoms and needed to work with a pulmonologist and was still getting out of breath for months; Von Miller (who caught during off-season) said it took him a while to get his conditioning back and was rough for a while.  Dawson Knox said he was really winded the first week+ or so back.  Some top athletes (Olympic rowers) who had Covid said it dropped them back to the ergometer level of a talented HS student for about a month. 

Not all that many NFL players had Covid during the season.  The NFL did a really good job last year.  And of course if recovery takes a while during the off-season, we don't know.

And none of that necessarily applies to Dawkins. Using three or four examples is far from statistically significant. They are just anecdotes. For every one of those there are others who had mild symptoms and were able to get back to football quickly. Or who were completely asymptomatic.

We don't know the situation with Dawkins. McDermott could have been speaking purely from a football and conditioning standpoint, not a health standpoint.

41 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah he would. See Hapless' previous reply. 

That "gaurantee" didn't age well.

He cited examples of a few players who had a tough time coming back. How does that specifically relate to Dawkins? It's a possibility for sure, but nobody knows. Everyone is guessing.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

And none of that necessarily applies to Dawkins. Using three or four examples is far from statistically significant. They are just anecdotes. For every one of those there are others who had mild symptoms and were able to get back to football quickly. Or who were completely asymptomatic.

We don't know the situation with Dawkins. McDermott could have been speaking purely from a football and conditioning standpoint, not a health standpoint.

He cited examples of a few players who had a tough time coming back. How does that specifically relate to Dawkins? It's a possibility for sure, but nobody knows. Everyone is guessing.

I'm not sure why you're acting like it's a mystery. His setbacks are due to covid. He was "battling" with it...

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Was it ever confirmed he had COVID, or just close contact?

Dion still has a few weeks to get back in football shape and start week 1.

If he's not taking 1st or 2nd team reps by end of next week, I'll be worried then

I don’t know man but COVID-19 does take a lot out of you ,  in my case even a month after I was tested negative I was still weak and barely had any energy, but then again I’m almost twice his age , 

holding my fingers crossed 🤞 he’ll be 100% ready for week one 

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

I'm not all that worried about this. Missed time due to Covid and I'm thinking this is just a motivational shot across the bow of Dawkins.  Like MasterStrategist, I'll be more concerned in a couple weeks if he still isn't up to speed.

You should be. I know several people that have long COVID almost a year after "recovering". They are having trouble functioning doing desk jobs, can't imagine what would happen if they had to do athletic activities against others.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He had Covid. He tested positive. Beane also told us one of the two (Dion or Ike) was unvacced. I wonder if it was Dion and he has had it worse than Ike and this is McDermott trying to send a message again. Might be reading too much into it but just a thought.

might just be he has a long way to go. When it’s bad, it’s bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

He's a professional. He knows what it takes to get ready. There's no reason to believe he will miss week 1. It's not like he's a rookie.

Can be, but often isn't. Kind of a roll of the dice, but most players last year got back within normal time frames. No reason yet to believe that he won't.

Agreed it's a wait and see type of thing. Hate if he season took a hit kinda like Cam's did last year post Covid.

7 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Agreed it's a wait and see type of thing. Hate if he season took a hit kinda like Cam's did last year post Covid.

Cam sucks anyway. He can blame COVID if he wants, though. He usually has others to blame for his own failures. He still thinks he is a starting caliber QB. He just isn't.

• Agree 1

My thought was I detected McD was frustrated he wasn't vaxxed - that's the speculation right?  Since he missed 14 plus days.  I don't think he had a bad case he tested positive when he showed up right?  He was physically at camp August 9th. 

So my guess is that's what you heard.  Dawkins couldn't do anything around the team and Coach isn't happy.  If he was really sick and it impacted him a lot I don't think Coach would have been that blunt about it with the "Not close."

They want these guys vaxxed - and he stressed that again.  The "just a reminder" to me meant "in addition to your health risk, this is how much time you'll miss and what it can do to the team."   

Not worried at all.  He'll be playing week 1 after he gets up to speed in the next 3 plus weeks.  

Edited by Big Blitz

30 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

While a solid player there, Williams is strictly a right tackle. He has almost 0 position flexibility.

In 2019 Williams signed a $7 million contract with the Panthers. He played in all 16 games, starting 12 games: four at left tackle, three at right guard, and five at left guard.  That seems like position flexibility to me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Should have kept Nsekhe for depth. 

He played in one preseason game and is already out with a knee injury.

I liked the guy but he's an injury waiting to happen.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is definitely a big concern. Some people deal with long term covid effects. If Dawkins is one of them he might not be fully conditioned for a while. I don't want Allen taking any preseason snaps at all, and until Dawkins is back I'll be nervous every snap he takes in the regular season.

I agree 💯 coach isn’t going to say he’s no we’re ready to help us if not true. If anything the way McDermott talks at press saying he’s no we’re ready worries me more. 

41 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I agree 💯 coach isn’t going to say he’s no we’re ready to help us if not true. If anything the way McDermott talks at press saying he’s no we’re ready worries me more. 

He could of lost weight and still have shortness of breath, big dude like that muscle and mass are a must. Also if he lost stamina they could be concerned about being in game shape without getting hurt.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills! said:

He could of lost weight and still have shortness of breath, big dude like that muscle and mass are a must. Also if he lost stamina they could be concerned about being in game shape without getting hurt.

I don’t doubt this one bit I’m just worried I guess. Ready for a great year and I know we need snow 💯 percent to do that. Im sure he will be ready keeping my fingers crossed anyway lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Covid can be a long haul recovery. Hopful this is not the case for the Shnowman. Worried that it might.

Yes, that's true. I really hope he doesn't have any long term effects, but it is obviously a possibility. I'm not letting my mind go down that road quite yet.

• Like (+1) 1