Dion Dawkins “not close to where he needs to be to help us”

YoloinOhio

Imagine we’ll open the season with lots of sprint right roll out, with jet motion the other way.

This not only limits the need to have stellar pass pro at LT, but also provides no need to block left DE on sweeps/ touch pass. 

Daboll will have it all schemed out 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

14 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Covid can be a long haul recovery. Hopful this is not the case for the Shnowman. Worried that it might.

This worries me too. In a game of milliseconds I don't want our LT to have even something like brain fog (long haul symptom) for the next month or two.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He's not a rookie, but being sick like that and having to get ready for the season at the same time...I'm sure that's a new situation for him. Thankfully, the Bills have a great medical/conditioning staff.

We don't know how sick he was or wasn't. It's all conjecture to this point. Having symptoms could mean a lot of different things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

We don't know how sick he was or wasn't. It's all conjecture to this point. Having symptoms could mean a lot of different things.

The fact that he's "not even close" to being ready and has already been recovering for a week+ is a pretty big giveaway...

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

The fact that he's "not even close" to being ready and has already been recovering for a week+ is a pretty big giveaway...

It strikes me as coach speak, honestly. He is trying to motivate him and others. That's my opinion.

If Dawkins was really struggling with his health, I don't see McDermott putting that out there to the media. I don't think he would do that. I think Dawkins is ready to get at it and has some work ahead of him to get into game shape. If he was still struggling with COVID I don't know if he would have been activated.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If he had lingering Covid stuff, McD would not have called him out.. 

If he came in fat and out of shape, McD calls him out. 

It's the later. Guaranteed. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Was it ever confirmed he had COVID, or just close contact?

Dion still has a few weeks to get back in football shape and start week 1.

If he's not taking 1st or 2nd team reps by end of next week, I'll be worried then

Pretty sure Beane said both Boettger and Dawkins tested positive, one symptomatic one not. 

Boettger returned to practice on the NFL's minimum timeline for an asymptomatic vaccinated player who tests negative 2x 24 hrs apart.

Dawkins took I think a couple days longer than the minimum for an unvaccinated player. 

Frankly, I thought Dawkins looked pretty bad at OTAs - overweight and under-conditioned.    Then it's pretty well documented that Covid with mild symptoms can cause athletes lasting pulmonary problems that take months to recover from.

We are in Deep Kim Chee without Dawkins.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ironic that Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western New York gets stadium naming rights with what is happening.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty sure Beane said both Boettger and Dawkins tested positive, one symptomatic one not. 

Boettger returned to practice on the NFL's minimum timeline for an asymptomatic vaccinated player who tests negative 2x 24 hrs apart.

Dawkins took I think a couple days longer than the minimum for an unvaccinated player. 

Frankly, I thought Dawkins looked pretty bad at OTAs - overweight and under-conditioned.    Then it's pretty well documented that Covid with mild symptoms can cause athletes lasting pulmonary problems that take months to recover from.

We are in Deep Kim Chee without Dawkins.

And while I like Korean I hate Kimchi.

9 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

"Figure skating...Ice hockey...Why not have Both?" - remember those commercials?

It's a fact that McDermott called out Dawson Knox for coming back from Covid fat and underconditioned - gently, but called him out. 

Since now there is a vaccine, if Dawkins chose not to take it and was seen out in the community interacting with lots of people at his charity give-aways - if there are lingering problems I wouldn't bet a nickel against McDermott being Really Really Pissed.

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

Can't rule out that he may have after affects, fatigue and shortness of breath. Maybe a pre-existing condition thats affecting his recovery? Most players are usually back by now.

That's not long-haul and not going to explain the diff. here,

But yes, he probably does have some lingering effects.   For example Myles Garrett said he had lasting pulmonary symptoms and needed to work with a pulmonologist and was still getting out of breath for months; Von Miller (who caught during off-season) said it took him a while to get his conditioning back and was rough for a while.  Dawson Knox said he was really winded the first week+ or so back.  Some top athletes (Olympic rowers) who had Covid said it dropped them back to the ergometer level of a talented HS student for about a month. 

Not all that many NFL players had Covid during the season.  The NFL did a really good job last year.  And of course if recovery takes a while during the off-season, we don't know.

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I don't like bad news on Sunday night. Should have waited till Monday

Thought it would fit right in with the “Sunday Scaries”

All we need is the ticking sound from 60 minutes 

(Except on the west coast) 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BadboyBills said:

Holy awesome reply Hapless!

Hope thats all that's all it is with Dawkins. This is my biggest fear for our season is that we lose a key player at the worst time. This is the time for this, but I don't want anyone to catch it. (Warning sign?) I think the NFL/NFLPA have done a great job to this point too but that was last year. We didn't have Delta last season so my concern level is a 7/10 atm. All I can say and wish for is our guys are vaxxed, b/c that could be a difference maker this year, more than last.

Go Bills!

Here's wishing Dawkins a speedy recovery

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Yeah he would. See Hapless' previous reply. 

That "gaurantee" didn't age well.

2 hours ago, Frat-Train said:

Maybe it was leaked that he favors ranch over blue cheese?.?.?.!?!  

If that’s the case, I agree with coach.  He’s nowhere near close to helping us…. Or anyone else for that matter.

It's like putting on the oxygen mask, you have to help yourself before you can help anyone else.

• Haha (+1) 1