Dion Dawkins “not close to where he needs to be to help us”

YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. Yea I wonder if this "he is a long way away" is partly McDermott sending a message to the team to say if you are unvacced and you get it then you do not gey your spot back automatically. You have to earn it back. Am I mad to think that is what could be behind this?

You sure mined a lot out of a small quote. I'm pretty sure Dion has his spot secured. I'm also pretty sure that even vaccinated people can have bad bouts of Covid, so leaping to that is divisive and unhelpful. It would be better if people said "I don't know what the deal is" because they don't.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

You sure mined a lot out of a small quote. I'm pretty sure Dion has his spot secured. I'm also pretty sure that even vaccinated people can have bad bouts of Covid, so leaping to that is divisive and unhelpful. It would be better if people said "I don't know what the deal is" because they don't.

I never pretended it was anything other than speculation but McDermott has been crystal clear where he stands on the vaccination issue and I don't think it is unreasonable to speculate on how that influences his response to incidents like this. It is unusual for him to be so overt on an issue in his pressers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

13 hours ago, eball said:

I looked at the first couple of pages of this thread and all I can say is that @dpberr seems to have a vomiting problem.  Not sure what that’s all about.

I have a friend who knows someone in med school who says vomiting is a sign of a long-haul, unvaccinated, me-first team-last, overweight and out-of-shape sports player.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Putin said:

I don’t know man but COVID-19 does take a lot out of you ,  in my case even a month after I was tested negative I was still weak and barely had any energy, but then again I’m almost twice his age , 

holding my fingers crossed 🤞 he’ll be 100% ready for week one 

Agreed. I wasn’t really myself physically for about 5-6 weeks afterward. That’s an extremely common effect. And I didn’t have any breathing problems or anything like that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hope you are back to something like yourself DC. I know my mother (who came pretty close to losing her life to it) still feels 18 months on that she is not back to 100%. It has had some really strange effects like she now can't stand the taste of red wine where before she would drink plenty of the stuff, but it also still disrupts her sleep (which they have put down to PTSD from the ventilator) and has left her with some scarring on the lungs which cause occasional discomfort. 

Hey, thank you, I am good at this point.  Sorry to hear about your mom, that sounds really tough. 

Hopefully, we are all just over thinking and Dion is simply behind because of the time missed.   One thing I have really learned out of this whole pandemic situation; don’t make assumptions of what others are going through and appreciate your own good fortune.  Keeping that in perspective, helps keep life tolerable.  

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Spencer Brown, here is the opportunity of a lifetime

It really is a big opening for him, but I really doubt he’s ready to step in yet.  He has never faced anything like NFL competition and was raw at best coming out.   It would be great if he could legitimately plug the hole and even better if he could honestly “take” the job from Dion.  It would allow them to kick Dion in to play guard this year and have an even better line, but again, that’s a HUGE stretch.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hope you are back to something like yourself DC. I know my mother (who came pretty close to losing her life to it) still feels 18 months on that she is not back to 100%. It has had some really strange effects like she now can't stand the taste of red wine where before she would drink plenty of the stuff, but it also still disrupts her sleep (which they have put down to PTSD from the ventilator) and has left her with some scarring on the lungs which cause occasional discomfort. 

For a couple of months starting in late December, red wine tasted like an off-brand version of CranGrape to me. It’s back to normal now.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

It really is a big opening for him, but I really doubt he’s ready to step in yet.  He has never faced anything like NFL competition and was raw at best coming out.   It would be great if he could legitimately plug the hole and even better if he could honestly “take” the job from Dion.  It would allow them to kick Dion in to play guard this year and have an even better line, but again, that’s a HUGE stretch.

I think the plan for him is to either take over LT/RT in a few years and kick one of those guys to guard 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think the plan for him is to either take over LT/RT in a few years and kick one of those guys to guard 

It would make a lot of sense for him to take the LT position and move on from Dion, hopefully for decent compensation, before you have to pay him again.   With Josh’s new deal, and the inevitable re work of Diggs, possibly Edmunds etc, money will get tight pretty quick for improvements to the roster in the coming years.

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

For a couple of months starting in late December, red wine tasted like an off-brand version of CranGrape to me. It’s back to normal now.

I took my mum for dinner last week and I was amazed she still couldn't drink red. I mean I managed the whole bottle so no harm done :D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, DieselUSMC0451 said:

A lot of long term issues with this Virus, the severity and length is Unique to each person. My wife’s mother died last September from COVID, being perfectly healthy and never been in the hospital ever before this. 

I was training for the MURPH for a fundraiser with the Navy Seal vets in Florida. Was running 7 min miles with the 20 lbs vest. Got covid pretty bad. A month after being “cleared” I still couldn’t even finish a .25 of a mile, running very slow and no vest. 3 weeks after that I was back in the hospital with inflammation of the heart. This thing is no joke.

Could be very possible that he’s out for an extended period of time or could be back soon, just depends on how the virus effected him. 

The way some people underestimate the effects of this virus is mind boggling. Get well soon

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

This was my point, I’m FAR from an athlete of their level and I struggled to just get back to “normal”.  Covid is real, regardless of your views about it, ideas on the vax etc.  , it is miserable crap.  I couldn’t believe it took some of these athletes so long to return to action, then I got it and yeah, I get it now.  It’s not as simple as the flu, it can linger for what seems like forever.

Get well DC

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The other guy who tested positive (Boettger I think?) was back quickly. Dawkins had symptoms and I think his cardio sucks right now as a result. People reported that he looked labored while just jogging on the sidelines at camp.

Hindsight was paying out contracts before learning if people would be willing to vaccinate.

You can be the most talented OL in the world, but if you get a moderate case of Covid, you're very feasibly months away from getting back into shape.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Was it ever confirmed he had COVID, or just close contact?

Dion still has a few weeks to get back in football shape and start week 1.

If he's not taking 1st or 2nd team reps by end of next week, I'll be worried then

If Dawkins didn't have COVID and allowed himself to come in in such terrible shape, that's more worrisome than if he had been deathly siick.  As it is, it sounds as if he's at least somewhat in McDermott's doghouse and will have to endure some hard coaching to get out. The Bills, and Josh Allen need him to be solid this season.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Had no idea your family went through that.  Sincerely glad she is recovering even if not fully recovered.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/16/sean-mcdermott-dion-dawkins-not-close-to-where-he-needs-to-be-after-stint-on-covid-19-list/

“He’s not close to where he needs to be to play and help us,” McDermott said, via Jay Skurski of the Buffalo News. “He’s got a long road here. He’s going to control what he can control, and so are we. He’s got to continue to work hard to get himself back to where he’s — I mean, this is what, going on week four of training camp at this point? So, he’s missed a lot of time.”

McDermott noted that there are “teachable moments as far as COVID goes” and that he hopes the situation “resonates with the people it needs to resonate with” as the Bills head toward the regular season.

19 hours ago, The Dean said:

I'm not all that worried about this. Missed time due to Covid and I'm thinking this is just a motivational shot across the bow of Dawkins.  Like MasterStrategist, I'll be more concerned in a couple weeks if he still isn't up to speed.

Worrying either way. This makes me think of that players union letter he did about slacking his 2nd season. I'm not saying he is, just that it crossed my mind. Hopefully not the case

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

That pretty much confirms it. McDermott is making a point to unvacced players.

Yeah, but it sounds like Dion is suffering pretty hard from it too, which is probably the “hitting those that it needs to hit” that he’s speaking of.   I feel for him, it’s not fun. In context to the team, it may not be life threatening for 99.999999% of NFL athletes, but it sure can jack up your season.  If anybody is on the fence about the vax, I’m sure Dion’s condition will be used an example to push them to get it.  NFL careers are short, flirting with fire is probably not worth it.  Guys will have weigh the options and decide what is right for them.   I just hope everyone stays healthy and is able to perform at their best, for themselves and the team’s sake.

• Agree 1