Dion Dawkins “not close to where he needs to be to help us”

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Was it ever confirmed he had COVID, or just close contact?

Dion still has a few weeks to get back in football shape and start week 1.

If he's not taking 1st or 2nd team reps by end of next week, I'll be worried then

He had Covid. He tested positive. Beane also told us one of the two (Dion or Ike) was unvacced. I wonder if it was Dion and he has had it worse than Ike and this is McDermott trying to send a message again. Might be reading too much into it but just a thought.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

I'm not all that worried about this. Missed time due to Covid and I'm thinking this is just a motivational shot across the bow of Dawkins.  Like MasterStrategist, I'll be more concerned in a couple weeks if he still isn't up to speed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He had Covid. He tested positive. Beane also told us one of the two (Dion or Ike) was unvacced. I wonder if it was Dion and he has had it worse than Ike and this is McDermott trying to send a message again. Might be reading too much into it but just a thought.

The other guy who tested positive (Boettger I think?) was back quickly. Dawkins had symptoms and I think his cardio sucks right now as a result. People reported that he looked labored while just jogging on the sidelines at camp.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Excellent point!  Coach was quoted later in his press conference, that it was good to have Jerry back for Spencer and Dions benefit, in addition to the defensive team.

I think you nailed it, Coach is always careful with his words

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I'm not all that worried about this. Missed time due to Covid and I'm thinking this is just a motivational shot across the bow of Dawkins.  Like MasterStrategist, I'll be more concerned in a couple weeks if he still isn't up to speed.

I think it's all cardio and won't be surprised if he misses week 1.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Last week he said Dawkins situation was a "lesson for all of us" or something to that extent.........he was definitely the unvaxed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Agree 7

This is definitely a big concern. Some people deal with long term covid effects. If Dawkins is one of them he might not be fully conditioned for a while. I don't want Allen taking any preseason snaps at all, and until Dawkins is back I'll be nervous every snap he takes in the regular season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Last week he said Dawkins situation was a "lesson for all of us" or something to that extent.........he was definitely the unvaxed.

Hmm. Yea I wonder if this "he is a long way away" is partly McDermott sending a message to the team to say if you are unvacced and you get it then you do not gey your spot back automatically. You have to earn it back. Am I mad to think that is what could be behind this?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 5

10 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Was it ever confirmed he had COVID, or just close contact?

Dion still has a few weeks to get back in football shape and start week 1.

If he's not taking 1st or 2nd team reps by end of next week, I'll be worried then

Beane said that he had covid 

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If he's fully recovered, which seems to be the case (hence activated), no reason Dion can't get his conditioning level back to normal in 2 weeks.  Put us at August 29th and plenty of time for week 1.

31 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The opener is 4 weeks away.........he might suck week 1.........but we should all be surprised if he misses week 1.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
for accuracy, thanks Rob Riddick
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. Yea I wonder if this "he is a long way away" is partly McDermott sending a message to the team to say if you are unvacced and you get it then you do not gey your spot back automatically. You have to earn it back. Am I mad to think that is what could be behind this?

Maybe, he did say last week that if this happened during the regular season, he would miss 2-3 games 

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

No I think he means it literally. Dawkins still needs to condition his body to play NFL football. Hopefully he can get there over the next month.

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

If he's fully recovered, which seems to be the case (hence activated), no reason Dion can't get his conditioning level back to normal in 2 weeks.  Put us at August 29th and plenty of time for week 1.

Hopefully. I'm setting my expectations low, but I'm sure they're doing everything they can and making it a priority. That ***** ***** up your lungs.

• Thank you (+1) 1