Early look at returns from first round Edge Rusher selections

On 8/15/2021 at 11:22 PM, Wayne Cubed said:

Er, what?! Way, way too early for that.

Yeah. That's my feeling.

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’m certain the same folks who preach “Don’t overreact to bad preseason performances” are the first to overreact to good ones 

Nah.

I'm sure there are some like that, of course, but the smart play is to understand that it just doesn't mean much. Either way.

Better to be good than bad, but it's anything but conclusive.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, dneveu said:

I thought we were going to look at like, previous 1st rounder edge rushers and see their impacts in 1st year. 

Taking out guys taken in the first 3-5 picks (players expected to start day 1)

Last year Chiasson - no impact on a terrible team, while playing about half the snaps.  Not sure on how he was entirely used though.

2019 - Sweat and Burns - impactful players in rotation.  Gary and Collier, no impact rookie seasons.  

2018 - Davenport - relatively impactful in rotation.  

2017 - Barnett - impactful player in rotation.  Mckinley, Charlton, Harris, no impact.  

I do think the impact is definitely dependant on snaps.  Epenesa flashed here and there and only played about 27% of snaps.  Hopefully with the extra length Rouss can replicate some of that athleticism that made sweat and burns dynamic rookies.

Don’t forget Bradley Chubb (2018)

Edited by Solomon Grundy

And to update on poor old Joseph Ossai who looked so good on debut for Cincy. The wrist injury he sustained against the Buccs was not considered serious but he suffered a meniscus injury this week in practice and is done for the year. 

EDIT: particularly hard on him because he is still new to the position and he needed the in game experience to develop himself from "talented situational pass rusher" to well rounded defensive end.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

While sacks are a flashy great thing I am much more concerned about the overall productivity of our defensive rookies which includes pressures and the ability to play the run if they can’t do those things consistently they won’t be on the field the good news is it looks like they are

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1