Around the League Preseason Games Thread

LeGOATski

25 minutes ago, DJB said:

Carolina and Indy on right now. 

I'm scouting future Bills. 

My man Tommy Tremble looking good today.....just caught a TD pass for Carolina.....would have loved to see him in a Bills uniform.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Eason doesn't look bad so far. I'm not saying he's the next great thing but he's playing just as well as any of the top QBs did.

I like PJ Walker

18 minutes ago, Special K said:

My man Tommy Tremble looking good today.....just caught a TD pass for Carolina.....would have loved to see him in a Bills uniform.

Carolina had a nice draft with Tremble, Chuba, Terrance Marshall 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea, we’ll see. It’s not that he’s bad or even average at this point in his career. He’s solid but this is a big year for him to take another step …Every other position is a position of strength for them…. And I don’t think he even needs to be a Mahomes or Allen for them to be AFC champs. Their roster is that good, IMO.

I agree.  And that’s why I’d trade him rather than pay him 40M plus.  Partly due to his contract, they won’t be able to keep this level of talent up.  And once his contract kicks in, they’ll be losing talent by the boatloads.  

Next years free agents: 
Wyatt Teller, Clowney, Chris Hubbard, Tak McKinley, Njoku, malik Jackson, Andrew Billings, Anthony Walker, Ronnie Harrison, rashard Higgin,  MJ Stewart.

2024 FA- baker, Landry, bitonio, Conklin, tretter, Denzel ward, Kareem hunt, Troy hill, greedy Williams, Mack Wilson, sheldrick redwine. Dione takitaki.

Other than Teller, this years FAs are mostly top of the line depth.  The 24 class includes several of their top starters.   I hope they extend Baker long term @40M per but I think this could be another Kirk cousins type situation where the team knows he’s a better QB than what they can likely acquire in the offseason, but not good enough to commit 100m gtd.  They have a nice 2 year window set up, but the window might be too expensive to keep open for long.  We don’t have that problem…..our QB is worth 50m+ per year and can carry a team to the super bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

During the Jets & Giants game the coaches each had 4th downs around the 40 yard line.  Saleh went for it & even though they didn't make it he did the right thing considering it was preseason.  Judge punted.  I know it might be an overreaction, but at that point I wrote Judge off as a head coach.  Who punts in preseason on 4th & short inside the other team's territory in pre season? I understand why the Jets did at the end because they were 4th & long and protecting the lead, but not early in the game where seeing your offense try to get a 1st down is more important than seeing what your punter can do.  If you have no guts in preseason, you're too conservative to be a head coach in the NFL.  The day the Giants fire Judge, in a year, two or 3, the reason was evident on 8/14/21 that he wasn't going to make it as the long term answer.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is a taunting penalty now??

Yep - because he did the first move right at a Panther.

Stupid, but they decided that actions directed at opposing players was going to get called and they will be using the preseason to enforce.

My guess is by late September- that would go uncalled, but for the next month - including weeks 1+2 of the regular season - any taunting calls will not surprise me.

I got worried in our game with some of the ball spinning from the WRs - if it occurs in the general direction of the opposing team - they could call it.

Insane for little acts, but they are trying to lessen middle of the field actions as they allow more end zone celebrations in the last few years.

Edited by Rochesterfan

19 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yep - because he did the first move right at a Jag.

I know, all these big cats can be confusing, but a Jaguar is not the same as a Panther.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DrW said:

I know, all these big cats can be confusing, but a Jaguar is not the same as a Panther.

Sorry never seen a player on the Panthers before - must be a new team - maybe we can watch for some of their players to sign.

😂

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree.  And that’s why I’d trade him rather than pay him 40M plus.  Partly due to his contract, they won’t be able to keep this level of talent up.  And once his contract kicks in, they’ll be losing talent by the boatloads.  

Next years free agents: 
Wyatt Teller, Clowney, Chris Hubbard, Tak McKinley, Njoku, malik Jackson, Andrew Billings, Anthony Walker, Ronnie Harrison, rashard Higgin,  MJ Stewart.

2024 FA- baker, Landry, bitonio, Conklin, tretter, Denzel ward, Kareem hunt, Troy hill, greedy Williams, Mack Wilson, sheldrick redwine. Dione takitaki.

Other than Teller, this years FAs are mostly top of the line depth.  The 24 class includes several of their top starters.   I hope they extend Baker long term @40M per but I think this could be another Kirk cousins type situation where the team knows he’s a better QB than what they can likely acquire in the offseason, but not good enough to commit 100m gtd.  They have a nice 2 year window set up, but the window might be too expensive to keep open for long.  We don’t have that problem…..our QB is worth 50m+ per year and can carry a team to the super bowl. 

thats not how it works if you have a franchise QB you pay market value not everyone is aaron rodgers or mahomes but most get market value at the time.  sign your qb Draft well and sign veterans on 1 year deals and may the best team win.

the way the browns have been drafting that is all that matters really to keep a stacked team.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is a taunting penalty now??

Doesn't look like it to me, but we don't know what words were said. It's usually called when refs hear specific derogatory remarks, I think.

Like, remember when Diggs taunted the Pats CB on his way to a TD last year? He was clearly looking back at him and holding the ball out as he went into the ez. I was really word that would get called, but it didn't. 

I think if you action the ball towards a player or get really insulting with your words, then they throw it every time.

59 minutes ago, snowbelt_subie said:

thats not how it works if you have a franchise QB you pay market value not everyone is aaron rodgers or mahomes but most get market value at the time.  sign your qb Draft well and sign veterans on 1 year deals and may the best team win.

the way the browns have been drafting that is all that matters really to keep a stacked team.

Yeah, and the teams that pay their non elite QBs like they are elite usually end up without a Lombardi.  If they don’t get a SB win within 2 years and then they sign Baker long term i’d bet that they won’t win one.  Time will tell

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

When Chicago playing? Justin Field has bust written all over him. He’s this years Josh Rosen.

They played yesterday and Fields went something like 15/20 for 150 with 2 TDs and no turnovers.

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

My view on taunting is it should be a 5-yard “walk-back” penalty. Don’t lose a down or the play or anything. A 15-yarder is brutal. 

How about an ejection with no associated penalty? 

That way the whole team isn't hurt by one self-important jackass.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, and the teams that pay their non elite QBs like they are elite usually end up without a Lombardi.  If they don’t get a SB win within 2 years and then they sign Baker long term i’d bet that they won’t win one.  Time will tell

the last 10 years 3 Qbs i would call elite have won super bowls  mahomes ,brady ,russ.  meanwhile non elite qbs eli manning, payton mannings corpse, joe flacco ,  wentz/ foles have won superbowls.  just in the last 5 years  goff, jimmy G and matt ryan have made it to the super bowl i think baker is better than those 3.

the point is it is a team sport you can pay your elite QB like Aaron rodgers or drew brees and build a team around them or you can pay your non elite franchise QB like Eli manning and build a team around them.  

Whoever builds the better team will have more success the qb matters to a point.