Bills do it again! Lions fire head trainer immediately after the game

Big Turk

Bills have been pretty great at getting people fired after playing but usually it waits til the regular season starts...Thai time it happens after the first preseason game!

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/08/13/detroit-lions-fire-head-athletic-trainer-dave-granito/8132927002/

Edited by Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to Bills do it again! Lions fire head trainer immediately after the game

" We are in talks with someone," Campbell said. "I’m not going to give you that name, but we are in talks. And in the mean time, Tom Holt is taking over, assistant trainer, who’s done a really good job. We’ve put some stress on him and he’s answered the bell and been outstanding."

Maybe they are hiring that Olympic wrestler? ;)

42 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Did he have control of clock management?

Its not like the guy is stupid...he wanted to see if his scrubs could stop the Bills 3rd stringers and for 3 downs they did .....that bomb to Stevenson unraveled them just like the non pick 6 unglued the Bills 3rd stringers.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Did he have control of clock management?

Pretty sure - just like McD - Campbell was working on a few things making scenarios to talk about in film session.  It was not how he would coach in a game.  My guess is he told the players and coaches - act like we are down by 4 points and need the TD and although they did not succeed- they have film and teaching points.

That also gave his team a chance to try and create a late game stop - another teaching moment.

McD did the same thing - I believe after the Stevenson catch - he used his timeout - to purposely create a scenario of can we get another 10-20 yards or even 5-6 yards with no timeouts.  He can then use these as film teaching points - whether it worked or not is irrelevant- they become teaching material.

I also think McD will be a bit ticked by the job his D did late in the game allowing the TD and the FG - so he will have some moments on film in there.

Overall - remember it is preseason and for to many years guys acted like it was meaningful to win and would just play it like a regular season game - to the point of just running the ball and not working on things.  The league has changed and these new coaches see much more value in scenario situations than actual score.  

It is why I think eventually pre season will go away and be replaced by televised and fan attended scrimmages in stadiums around the country where 2-4 teams can get together decide on scenarios and practice exactly what they want.  Split the field at mid field and have all 4 going at once and switch up who you go against to prevent those fights when teams get together 1:1.  This is what most coaches prefer to preseason games and coaches like McVay not playing any starters will eventually force change.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

This is probably just Campbell thinking he’s sending a message to the team. I almost feel bad for Detroit fans they got stuck with this Neanderthal. 

So where did Campbell come from, what's his deal?  Know people on this board don't seem to like the guy very much.

feels like an ethics violation.  Like he lied about something.

maybe he lied about player prep, or warmups, or something that you cant have.

my initial thought yesterday was that maybe they found out he lied about vaccination status, so they couldnt even wait another day.