We need to cut 5 players. Who are they?

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unsure about Bug Howard - I think he was a late addition to fill in when Hollister was injured, so he could go.

Would be very surprised if Fromm or Hart were cut at this point.

They will be kept for a couple more weeks because the Bills need players at those positions for practice reps.  But they’ll be gone at final cutdown for sure.

35 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'll give it a shot. Don't see any path for these 5 to make it past Tuesday.

Tuitele - RT

Love - DE

Akou - DT

Lenoir - WR

Bell - LB

While I agree there is no way Love makes the roster, I don’t think that’s exactly how they approach cuts at this point. Love is a good player to eat up preseason snaps, plus you are allowing him to showcase his talents for pickup by another team. Players appreciate this approach, it shows them respect. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

While I agree there is no way Love makes the roster, I don’t think that’s exactly how they approach cuts at this point. Love is a good player to eat up preseason snaps, plus you are allowing him to showcase his talents for pickup by another team. Players appreciate this approach, it shows them respect. 

Definitely don't disagree with your comments,  I am just looking at he is like 8th on the depth chart (probably keep 6),  has been in the league since 2018 so there is already tape on him, plus the Miami game last year. I think he gets offered a PS though and stays. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The cut down of five players is stupid.

NFL, have the balls to do it all in one shot the week before the season.

So, Grasshopper.  The "All one shot the week before the season" started when? (real question - I don't remember, just this past season?)

There used to be two cuts, one to 72 midway through preseason, then a final cut to 53.  At one point I think there were three.

I think the "one big cut the week before the season" worked out badly for a lot of young players, no time to get a shot elsewhere.

I think the idea of having cuts in stages is to give some of these guys a chance to catch on with a roster that is weaker at that position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

So I rewatched the game, and Bobby Hart actually played pretty decent at RT.  Way better than Doyle.

I could see Hart making this team.  He is not a LT and never was.  Not far to judge him from that side.

The Bills have always wanted to keep a swing tackle as their backup.

So the question they've been trying to answer is "can Hart be a servicable swing tackle?" and I think the answer is pretty clearly "no".

I don't know - in theory, Nsekhe could play LT but he was clearly better at the right, and they kept him.

I expect Beane to be watching the cut-out bin for someone who can, especially as they may not want to cut Doyle.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills have always wanted to keep a swing tackle as their backup.

So the question they've been trying to answer is "can Hart be a servicable swing tackle?" and I think the answer is pretty clearly "no".

I don't know - in theory, Nsekhe could play LT but he was clearly better at the right, and they kept him.

I expect Beane to be watching the cut-out bin for someone who can, especially as they may not want to cut Doyle.

Why can’t your swing tackle be Spencer Brown?

Occasionally a 55-60 player hits thus cut.

1. Because they have fewer players at a certain position and must keep extra OL for example to insure veterans are not over worked in practice, 

2. To hide a real project for our future practice squad so other teams do not take an interest. 

Ie. They may cut a guy like Stevenson early BECAUSE they like him.

Just a chess match.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:31 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK my 5:

OT Caleb Banenoch, and yes he has been worse than Hart

OG Marquel Harrell

TE Nate Becker (is he still on the team?)

CB Nick McCloud (depends on how serious other DB injuries are)

DT Treyvon Hester

If you say "Who?" and "never heard of them", all of these guys based on comments from people who watched the open practices and The Athletic, are probably playing at a lower level than guys like bums-of-the-moment Tyrell Adams and Bobby Hart.

Not bad, Hap!  👍

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/15/bills-reduce-roster-well-ahead-of-tuesdays-deadline/

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK my 5:

OT Caleb Banenoch, and yes he has been worse than Hart

OG Marquel Harrell

TE Nate Becker (is he still on the team?)

CB Nick McCloud (depends on how serious other DB injuries are)

DT Treyvon Hester

If you say "Who?" and "never heard of them", all of these guys based on comments from people who watched the open practices and The Athletic, are probably playing at a lower level than guys like bums-of-the-moment Tyrell Adams and Bobby Hart.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:57 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From training camp/scrimmage reports I would guess Benenoch, Harrell, and Tuitele

On 8/14/2021 at 7:26 AM, Back2Buff said:

We have no tackle depth so Hart will need to play these next two games.  Need to cut positions where there are depth.

Powell

Howard

Tuitele

Ankou

Griffin

On 8/14/2021 at 10:10 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Tuitele and Ankou are at positions with many bodies so I agree, they're candidates for the Turk

On 8/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Becker apparently did play, and got the same # of snaps as Quentin Morris.

Nick McCloud was listed on the Bills early depth chart behind Rachad Wildgoose, and was playing opposite Wildgoose last night on the Lions 3 successive scoring drives.  He's credited with a tackle on a run play.  Since he's a rookie, my guess is he gets more time.

Treyvon Hester got snaps starting on Drive 2 then all through the game, so even though he's listed at the back of the Bills depth chart with Eli Ankou, the Bills evidently wanted to get more of a look at him than Ankou, who came in only at the end.  So maybe Ankou is more on the bubble.

And the Bills actually cut:

offensive lineman Marquel Harrell

offensive lineman Caleb Benenoch

offensive lineman Syrus Tuitele

defensive tackle Eli Ankou

linebacker Mike Bell.

Congrats to @Back2Buff who got 2 out of 5

Congrats to me, I got 2 out of 5 on my first pass

On further review, decided not Becker or McCloud but instead Tuitele and Ankou

So we count "on second thought" I got 4 out of 5.

I do NOT get credit for Mike Bell, who I thought made some plays in his limited snaps on Fri.

Any props due to anyone else?

9 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:
7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So, Grasshopper.  The "All one shot the week before the season" started when? (real question - I don't remember, just this past season?)

There used to be two cuts, one to 72 midway through preseason, then a final cut to 53.  At one point I think there were three.

I think the "one big cut the week before the season" worked out badly for a lot of young players, no time to get a shot elsewhere.

I think the idea of having cuts in stages is to give some of these guys a chance to catch on with a roster that is weaker at that position.

Having dropped before man first walked on the moon, maybe grasshopper isn’t the most accurate nom de plume, but fromThe Hap, I’ll take it! 

My follow up post below furthers my positions, and I still stand by it.

There is not a personal Director in this entire league that doesn’t know every single player, available or not.  As such should they be interested in a player they will call one in whether their roster is set, or not.  We both know, as well, that rosters are never “set” so that excuse for needing to put players out there early to “catch on” is…well…just plain old thinking.

I believe it is better for a player to be on a roster, learning and competing, then waiting around to hopefully get called on to one.  

It is the way the League has been trending and the way of the world.  If we can’t change with it, well, then…I guess you really can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

Peace and go Bills!

9 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

EU, maybe no doubt, but still.

They wanted to make this move and it was good a couple of years back, but they needed to go the whole 9 yards.

The reality is if you are part of the five you are not getting picked up by anybody before camp, so they might as well get that extract time at an nfl camp to be prepared.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts