We need to cut 5 players. Who are they?

31 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

They are having Bates focus on being the backup C anyway, given Morse's injury history. No more Swiss Army knife.

Also, I feel alone here but I really don't want them to cut Nick McCloud yet. Would like to see him in another game because his coverage looked pretty good and his PI was BS.

Yeah, after looking again and realizing he's a rookie, I'm sure he gets more time.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good post.

Just a guess but I'm thinking Jon Feliciano is the actual backup C and Bates is 3rd string.

I disagree. I think the whole reason they are having Bates work exclusively at C is to avoid that exact situation. Instead of shuffling everyone around mid game, they just slip Bates in. Good way to keep Morse fresh if they are playing in the 4th with a big lead, too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boxcar said:

They are having Bates focus on being the backup C anyway, given Morse's injury history. No more Swiss Army knife.

Also, I feel alone here but I really don't want them to cut Nick McCloud yet. Would like to see him in another game because his coverage looked pretty good and his PI was BS.

I doubt any of the DBs get cut this time around.  The only way one leaves is if someone else is brought in.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I doubt any of the DBs get cut this time around.  The only way one leaves is if someone else is brought in.

I agree with this. They can cut 5 guys right now and I may have never heard of them. Where it gets VERY interesting is going all the way from 80 down to 53, then scrambling for upgrades on cut day. Remember when we used to find starters there??? 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I agree with this. They can cut 5 guys right now and I may have never heard of them. Where it gets VERY interesting is going all the way from 80 down to 53, then scrambling for upgrades on cut day. Remember when we used to find starters there??? 

Yes, but I'm trying to forget that!  LOL.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Boxcar said:

I disagree. I think the whole reason they are having Bates work exclusively at C is to avoid that exact situation. Instead of shuffling everyone around mid game, they just slip Bates in. Good way to keep Morse fresh if they are playing in the 4th with a big lead, too.

The Bills offensive line philosphy since McBeane have been here is that the backup OT has to play both sides, and the backup IOL has to be able to play C and both sides.

I don't know that they're having Bates practice exclusively at C.  Do you?  How?

The reason they had Bates at C exclusively most of yesterday's game was most likely

a) their #1 (Morse) and #2 (Feliciano) were listed as "veteran rest" (did not play at all).  Tyler Gauthier has been reported to be taking 3rd string C reps (at the Blue and Red scrimmage) but didn't play at all yesterday, which either means he's not up to speed OR they're under-impressed and he's leaving town Tues.

and

b) they're still trying to figure out the starting and backup IOL and wanted to give Ford, Boettger, Jamil Douglas, and Jordan Devey reps with a constant center point.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

I hope they do things like that but sometimes teams worry about things like that backfiring resulting a turnover.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I know you it says 5 but the first three that come to mind are Fromm, Hart ,  and Bug Howard. Fromm looks like Nathan Peterman 2.0

Unsure about Bug Howard - I think he was a late addition to fill in when Hollister was injured, so he could go.

Would be very surprised if Fromm or Hart were cut at this point.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unsure about Bug Howard - I think he was a late addition to fill in when Hollister was injured, so he could go.

Would be very surprised if Fromm or Hart were cut at this point.

Another reason is that they need  a couple of QB to run the training camp drills.

12 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The cut down of five players is stupid.

NFL, have the balls to do it all in one shot the week before the season.

Lol it is kind of a funny antic. 

However I wonder if this has more to do with the NFLPA wanting guys, who teams know are NOT in any realistic sense going to make that roster, have a chance to link on with another franchise before camp is out. Thus, improving their chances to sign to a PS or even make an active roster.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Lol it is kind of a funny antic. 

However I wonder if this has more to do with the NFLPA wanting guys, who teams know are NOT in any realistic sense going to make that roster, have a chance to link on with another franchise before camp is out. Thus, improving their chances to sign to a PS or even make an active roster.

EU, maybe no doubt, but still.

They wanted to make this move and it was good a couple of years back, but they needed to go the whole 9 yards.

The reality is if you are part of the five you are not getting picked up by anybody before camp, so they might as well get that extract time at an nfl camp to be prepared.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts