We need to cut 5 players. Who are they?

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

yeah i don’t really know but I assume those 1st cuts will be some the camp bodies they brought in: benenoch, lenoir, hart probably. 

I would say Lenoir stated a case to stay around a bit longer.

12 hours ago, Beast said:

I know he caught a pass but Lenoir seems to be a sure cut with the depth we have at WR.

OJ Wildgoose Simpson didn’t have a night to write home about.

He didn't, but he's a draft pick so he and Hamlin get time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

We have no tackle depth so Hart will need to play these next two games.  Need to cut positions where there are depth.

Powell

Howard

Tuitele

Ankou

Griffin

I could be wrong but Powell being the only guy with significant KR/PR chops in the regular season I think they want to see more KR/PR from McKenzie in games before they turn him loose.

Also could be wrong but we are so thin at TE I think they hang on to Howard until they see if Hollister can make it through a week of practice.

Griffin by some reports has looked to be the better of our two rookie CBs so I think we hang onto him a while.

Tuitele and Ankou are at positions with many bodies so I agree, they're candidates for the Turk

4 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Im pretty sure the Ford at RT experiment is over and they want him focusing on Guard. Bates,Brown, Doyle are fine as depth 

I have a feeling Bates is being regarded primarily as a backup center now, who could slide into another interior line spot if needed.  I think he'd be a tackle of last resort.  Hart obviously is not an answer at tackle.  Brown and Doyle are on steep learning curves.  Bean will be looking at the waiver wire, but might not see anything until closer to the regular season.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Cut Bobby Hart early so Bills can sneak him on PS.  

He played in 79 and has started 66 games in career (46 with CIN, 21 with NJG) so it is likely he has some talent and maybe he is not adjusting to scheme well.

I heard Tasker day that the Bills were experimenting with Hart on the right side. That's possibly the only thing he had going for him.

You don't play that many games and whiff as bad as you did yesterday routinely. Something scheme or setup is off for him.

12 minutes ago, nkreed said:

I heard Tasker day that the Bills were experimenting with Hart on the right side. That's possibly the only thing he had going for him.

You don't play that many games and whiff as bad as you did yesterday routinely. Something scheme or setup is off for him.

He played right tackle for Bengals and Giants as far as I know.

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Cut Bobby Hart early so Bills can sneak him on PS.  

He played in 79 and has started 66 games in career (46 with CIN, 21 with NJG) so it is likely he has some talent and maybe he is not adjusting to scheme well.

He played for the Bungles and the G-men, both craptastic OL. 

If the question is "was he craptastic just because he had poor players to the side of him?" I would say the answer is established as "No".

So some info on how the Bills are seeing roster cuts:

From TBN article (I like their coverage) quoting McDermott:

On who sat out: "We all have to earn our spots. They know that. Separate of that, but a factor in this decision was, we only have three of these games to evaluate players that we don't know that much about. I felt like it would be irresponsible of me for us to not take a good look at the back half of our roster … That big cut is coming after the third game, that’s two games from now."

From Joe Buscaglia breaking down the DNP into 3 categories:

The final group is the bottom of the roster. These players participated in practice Wednesday but did not play on offense or defense during the game.

DNP (Unknown): OT Caleb Benenoch, IOL Jack Anderson, IOL Tyler Gauthier, IOL Marquel Harrell, OT Syrus Tuitele

You can’t rule out the possibility that one or two of these players could have picked up an injury during Wednesday’s practice or warmups. However, with the Bills needing to release five players by Tuesday, this group is a good place to start for educated guesses.

I don't think the Bills are going to exclusively cut OLmen.  But coupled with training camp reports, I think at least 2 of those guys are gonna go, maybe 3.

From training camp/scrimmage reports I would guess Benenoch, Harrell, and Tuitele; Gauthier has been playing 3rd string C and Anderson was a draft pick which typically earns a guy more time.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

This tells me how bad the Bengals and Giants are up front. That is all.

1 hour ago, nkreed said:

They were experimenting with Hart on the Left Side and he has been a RT exclusive in his career pretty much. 

I think they needed to see if he can be a swing tackle or not and I think last night showed: NOT.

He whiffed because his technique on the left was terrible.  He struggled getting his feet to move correctly and his body angle was off.  

I think they know he is viable as an emergency RT, but if he can’t fill both - then the Bills need a plan.  It could be Brown - who played ok at LT or Williams moves over and Hart on the right, or even Bates as a RT back-up - although I thought he looked pretty good at center.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK my 5:

OT Caleb Banenoch, and yes he has been worse than Hart

OG Marquel Harrell

TE Nate Becker (is he still on the team?)

CB Nick McCloud (depends on how serious other DB injuries are)

DT Treyvon Hester

If you say "Who?" and "never heard of them", all of these guys based on comments from people who watched the open practices and The Athletic, are probably playing at a lower level than guys like bums-of-the-moment Tyrell Adams and Bobby Hart.

Just a follow up here:

Benenoch and Harrell did not play. 

They were late adds to the roster with Boettger and Dawkins on Covid list and may be a case of "FIFO" now that we've got both of the regulars back.

Becker apparently did play, and got the same # of snaps as Quentin Morris.

Nick McCloud was listed on the Bills early depth chart behind Rachad Wildgoose, and was playing opposite Wildgoose last night on the Lions 3 successive scoring drives.  He's credited with a tackle on a run play.  Since he's a rookie, my guess is he gets more time.

Treyvon Hester got snaps starting on Drive 2 then all through the game, so even though he's listed at the back of the Bills depth chart with Eli Ankou, the Bills evidently wanted to get more of a look at him than Ankou, who came in only at the end.  So maybe Ankou is more on the bubble.

Personnel on every drive, offense and defense, here:

https://theathletic.com/2769992/2021/08/14/bills-preseason-opener-eight-observations-as-tyler-bass-and-marquez-stevenson-help-buffalo-edge-the-lions/?source=emp_shared_article

Question:  Mike Love was listed as "Not Dressed/Injury" along with TE Bug Howard.  Anyone know what the injury is?

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

They were experimenting with Hart on the Left Side and he has been a RT exclusive in his career pretty much. 

I think they needed to see if he can be a swing tackle or not and I think last night showed: NOT.

He whiffed because his technique on the left was terrible.  He struggled getting his feet to move correctly and his body angle was off.  

I think they know he is viable as an emergency RT, but if he can’t fill both - then the Bills need a plan.  It could be Brown - who played ok at LT or Williams moves over and Hart on the right, or even Bates as a RT back-up - although I thought he looked pretty good at center.

Good post.

Just a guess but I'm thinking Jon Feliciano is the actual backup C and Bates is 3rd string.

Since both Bates and Feliciano can play capably across the interior, and Bates can fill in at LT (he's not great, but in actual games he has played well enough to draw no notice) my guess is they might go with Brown as backup LT and Hart as backup RT (where he has looked OK, not good but capable)

That's contrary to their stated preference to have a swing T who can play both sides, but if the question is "who is the backup RT?" I'm not sure Doyle is the answer quite yet.  But hopefully he will step up, because as the Bills 5th round pick he probably makes the roster.

Question: has Williams actually every played LT?  Because as you correctly note, it's not a sure bet that a guy can play either side.

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

LOL I came on here to post the same thing

You guys are gonna be disappointed when we cut Hart 0 times this week.  Cue the "naughty pictures of Bobby Johnson" discussion.

8 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Bobby Hart is the reason Cody Ford isn't going anywhere.  If Williams gets hurt, Ford slides to RT.   If Dawkins gets hurt, Williams goes to LT and Ford goes to RT.  It isn't ideal but I don't think Brown is ready and Bates isn't the answer at LT or RT.

They are having Bates focus on being the backup C anyway, given Morse's injury history. No more Swiss Army knife.

Also, I feel alone here but I really don't want them to cut Nick McCloud yet. Would like to see him in another game because his coverage looked pretty good and his PI was BS.

Edited by Boxcar