Gameday Postgame Thread Bills 16 Lions 15

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I hope you’re not basing this on the Roughing penalty -cuz that was BS!

I agree with that what was Boogie supposed to do...the QB threw the ball when Boogie was a half a step away...how is the man supposed to hold up plus he didn't drive him into the ground he held his hands out when he feel on him...BS call.

11 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Somehow, someway, we need to add CB depth and a swing tackle. I doubt we do the latter, but good God do we need the former.

Spencer Brown wasn't great, but has massive upside.  He's on a steep learning curve this season.  Bobby Hart is bottom of the barrel trash.  I expect an early cut for him, and the Bills will be looking at cuts from other teams to find a veteran candidate, but that might not come until later in the cut down process.  CBs didn't have a great outing, but I'm not sure how acute the need is there.  If it looks like a gem has become available, then yeah, Beane should try to snap him up.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wish there were a way to separate early and late snaps.

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

LOL Webb must have really impressed him because he made the list twice.

I think Mike Bell should be on that list.  Before that game I had no idea we had a guy named Mike Bell on our roster.  After that game, I was "let's see more"

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Rousseau:

If that's his sack I would say off hand a few others were involved.  The guy with the biggest wrap-up would appear to be Ed Oliver.

Goff felt Groot’s hand and then turtled.  Ed arrived a fraction of a second later.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I expect sensing Oliver had something to do with that turtle decision.  Plenty of QB we face who feel a hand and just go elsewhere unless other bodies are heading their way.

If you’d like to give Ed a 1/2 sack be my guest.  I was just reflecting on why the official stats credit the sack to Groot.  No matter who is credited the line did a great job on that play.

https://theathletic.com/2769992/2021/08/14/bills-preseason-opener-eight-observations-as-tyler-bass-and-marquez-stevenson-help-buffalo-edge-the-lions/?source=emp_shared_article

Comments on Basham and Rousseau:

Rousseau looks the part

It’s hard to be anything other than impressed with the Bills’ first-round pick, Greg Rousseau. Playing in his first game since the 2019 season, Rousseau was excellent as a pass rusher and collected a sack on just his third snap of the preseason. He also had three pressures in a limited time on the field, and he was primarily working against top-10 selection and fellow rookie Penei Sewell.

By many reports, Sewell has looked very good at Lions training camp this summer. Rousseau’s performance is a vindication of how he has performed during Bills’ training camp to this point, often forcing the issue against a good starting offensive tackle like Daryl Williams during practice. Rousseau’s length, speed and change of direction skills make him a legitimate pass-rushing prospect. If he were doing this against third-stringers, then the optimism about Rousseau would be a bit more tempered. But he’s consistently beating legitimately talented offensive tackles for pressures, which only builds how strong of a summer he’s had.

He needs to keep this momentum heading into the rest of the preseason and into the regular season, but it really looks like the Bills are on to something with Rousseau. He’s well ahead of where A.J. Epenesa was as a rookie, and if Rousseau continues on this track, he’s trending toward having a legitimate role in his first year.

Basham woefully behind

With the encouraging signs from Rousseau come the disappointing snaps from second-round pick and defensive end Boogie Basham. Many expected Basham to be the one making an early impact and Rousseau needing a bit more time to develop, but at least for now, it seems like it’s the other way around.

Basham first entered the contest as a substitute defensive end and played through to the end of the game — which likely means the Bills want him to get all the reps he can handle to figure things out. Basham lined up on both the right and left side at defensive end and even slid inside to defensive tackle, and that versatility was the highlight of his evening.

However, Basham was not impactful as a pass-rusher. He was getting stymied against the second and third-team offensive line of the Lions, and that’s a situation when a talent like Basham should be showing flashes against inferior players. He’s still trying to figure things out at the moment. If he doesn’t turn a corner in the next two weeks, it would not be a surprise if Basham began the year as Epenesa did last year — as a game-day inactive while he learns the craft from an NFL perspective and develops in the background. The Bills have sufficient depth on the defensive line and can afford to let Basham learn behind the scenes until he’s ready.

Joe gives a drive-by-drive breakdown of who played where which is too much to put up here, but worth the subscription $ if you get into knowing that stuff like I do.

Basically on the first drives, the only starting OL or potential starting OL who played were Boettger and Ford.  Starting with the 3rd drive Boettger was swapped out for Jamil Douglas, who we haven't heard a lot about - proving that might be a Good Thing where OLmen are concerned.

Starting WR were Kumerow, Davis, and McKenzie, and that was It for them at WR.  Considering only 2 passes were attempted during those drives, that answers the question "what happened to Kumerow".  He only played 2 offensive series and on those series, there were 2 passes - one that McKenzie failed to bring in.

On Defense:

The first thing that sticks out is the lack of usage with defensive tackle Justin Zimmer. The Bills used him in only one early series, which likely means he’s in very good standing at the current moment. They know what they have there. Zimmer has been one of the standouts at training camp to this point, and the Bills feeling the need to play Harrison Phillips the entire first half might also be an indicator of the current depth chart.

The other interesting facet was the Bills using Siran Neal at both boundary cornerback, on both sides, and at nickel cornerback. They likely see Neal as their fifth cornerback, so they want him to be ready for any situation. He struggled in coverage at nickel Friday, but he doesn’t have a bonafide challenger for the fifth corner spot at the moment.

Buscaglia then breaks the DNP into 3 groups: Injured, Bona Fide Roster Locks, and "Bottom of the Roster":

DNP (Unknown): OT Caleb Benenoch, IOL Jack Anderson, IOL Tyler Gauthier, IOL Marquel Harrell, OT Syrus Tuitele

You can’t rule out the possibility that one or two of these players could have picked up an injury during Wednesday’s practice or warmups. However, with the Bills needing to release five players by Tuesday, this group is a good place to start for educated guesses.

I doubt we part with a rookie this early, but the rest of the guys on the list like like prime Turk territory, though I doubt we cut 5 OLmen. 

All in all a great and informative article by Joe B, where I've just given some highlights.  Go read it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, eball said:

If you’d like to give Ed a 1/2 sack be my guest.  I was just reflecting on why the official stats credit the sack to Groot.  No matter who is credited the line did a great job on that play.

I was more in response to someone upthread saying Oliver was "meh".  I thought he played well.

• Agree 1

• Chandler#81 changed the title to Gameday Postgame Thread Bills 16 Lions 15
2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Point taken Donuts, but also remember Marv would go 0-4 in all preseason games to try out players and schemes.

I believe we were working out schematically our running game and a revamped pass rush.  It looked like that was McD’s primary goal probably coming from Beane.  To me, mission success!  I hope we keep doing it.

I could care less if we win either of the next two games.  They don’t matter.  What I and I think you oh great yelling Donuts (had to sneak that one in) is we button up our TE’s, running game meaning the backs and changes in scheme to the o line, and our pass rush.  We figure out those pain points we beat the Chiefs!

Oh, please believe me, Guns, I am not criticizing last night.  I actually really enjoyed the game.  

I just remember we would win those type of games and then swagger about it.  

“Look at us, we’re 4-5 and in the hunt!  We have 2 back to back games of 250 or more yards of offense.  Look out for the Bills, NFL!  Bring on the Pats!”

I mean, in looking back…from above, it was silly. 

• Haha (+1) 1