Dion Dawkins activated from COVID list

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

He said it was just prior to hitting the two week mark.

Covid has a 5-14 day incubation period, if Dawkins developed symptoms 1.5 weeks after getting his 2nd shot, the chances are he was infected just before or just after getting the 2nd shot - before it had a chance to boost his immunity.  Data about 1 and 2 shot effectiveness are available (in the OTW Covid thread with references and stuff).   

Glad Dawkins is better and able to work out again, and hope he gets back up to speed quickly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

18 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Glad he is better and working out again.

I wonder what his chances are starting week 1.  50/50. 

I’m glad he’s recovering well.  Sounds like what he went through was very scary.

I think Dawkins will do everything he can to play.  I’m actually a lot less worried about him getting on the field than I am about how close to 100% he will be when he plays.  I mentioned Myles Garrett already.  He was at best 75% of his usual self.  I don’t like the idea of Dawkins at 75%.  The impact of that on an LT is way different than on a DE.  Fingers crossed that he’s 100% sooner rather than later. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 8/17/2021 at 5:58 AM, YoloinOhio said:

FYI on McDermott’s comments on Dawkins since the other thread was closed - it was not a motivational shot across the bow to get vaccinated as many surmised. I was listening to the Buffalo fanatics podcast and they said matter of factly that according to Dawkins, he is vaccinated (not sure if he said that publically, or to them directly, I think he’s been on their podcast in the past). Then I saw Muki Hawkins tweet that Dawkins was one of the first to get vaccinated … he just had more symptoms than ike.

So McDermott clearly thinks Dion is well behind where he needs to be and wasn't just trying to send a message.  Not great news but good to see him back in team drills yesterday and there is some time left for him to catch up. 

I don’t want to derail this, but per NFL protocols Dawkins did NOT count as vaccinated, even though he had received the vaccine.  A player counts as fully vaccinated to the NFL only 2 full weeks after the final dose.  

When your immune system fully develops immunity is a different (and possibly longer) timeline.

Muki is mistaken about Dawkins being “one of the first” since the Bills were publicized as having reached a 50% threshold (of fully vaccinated players) during OTAs.

I think Dawkins comments in his presser are consistent with this - he said he wished he had gotten vaccinated earlier because if he had been fully vaxxed when he got infected, it might not have been as bad

I will add that (not to you but to others) I personally didn’t envision McDermott’s comments as a “public tongue lashing”, but more as a point that the team needs availability from all its starters and that he wants players to take every step (ASAP) to minimize impacts and maximize their availability.  Obviously Dion took the step of being vaccinated, but also obviously delayed in starting.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t want to derail this, but per NFL protocols Dawkins did NOT count as vaccinated, even though he had received the vaccine.  A player counts as fully vaccinated to the NFL only 2 full weeks after the final dose.  

When your immune system fully develops immunity is a different (and possibly longer) timeline.

Muki is mistaken about Dawkins being “one of the first” since the Bills were publicized as having reached a 50% threshold (of fully vaccinated players) during OTAs.

I think Dawkins comments in his presser are consistent with this - he said he wished he had gotten vaccinated earlier because if he had been fully vaxxed when he got infected, it might not have been as bad

That was posted prior to Dawkins comments, it has been clarified by him. Really glad he’s ok 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That was posted prior to Dawkins comments, it has been clarified by him. Really glad he’s ok 

Or at least on the path to recovery, which we all hope is Speedy - agreed!

Feliciano commented that the endurance needs for an OLman are different since a DLman may be rotated or may have different responsibilities and probably isn’t rushing on every play - but someone will be rushing on every play, and most OLmen play 100% of the game.

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or at least on the path to recovery, which we all hope is Speedy - agreed!

Feliciano commented that the endurance needs for an OLman are different since a DLman may be rotated or may have different responsibilities and probably isn’t rushing on every play - but someone will be rushing on every play, and most OLmen play 100% of the game.

This is something which teams should be looking at - finding a way to get OL men less snaps via rotation.  

The Bills made a concentrated effort at having depth on OL and now they have some rookies who need seasoning.

Maybe the Bills can field some run blocking lines which can use near end of games when they are planning on running out clock to get some of their active backup linemen some reps which will help when they need to run the ball.

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

This is something which teams should be looking at - finding a way to get OL men less snaps via rotation.  

The Bills made a concentrated effort at having depth on OL and now they have some rookies who need seasoning.

Maybe the Bills can field some run blocking lines which can use near end of games when they are planning on running out clock to get some of their active backup linemen some reps which will help when they need to run the ball.

It's a chemistry issue.  Run blocking maybe?  But pass pro is more of a unit offense.  Not to mention you only have 7 or 8 linemen active on a gameday - so you'd only be able to sub out a few players.  

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, dneveu said:

It's a chemistry issue.  Run blocking maybe?  But pass pro is more of a unit offense.  Not to mention you only have 7 or 8 linemen active on a gameday - so you'd only be able to sub out a few players.  

Exactly why I said run blocking and some of their active backup linemen.

In a true blowout you can try substituting in pass blocking while Allen gets a rest.