Bills play Catan

38 minutes ago, Governor said:

My old neighbor trains and sells pigeons. He gets thousands for them. I think he sells them to drug dealers and they deliver contraband to other states. Something shady going on. Big money for pigeons.

How do I get on on that!

Edited by saundena

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive intrigued by this game for soooooo long.  Is it any good?  I have almost just bought it like 10 times and never did, but I love strategy games

I highly recommend it.

It's so fun because it's very different every time you play it. No two games of Catan ever play out the same way. There is not one "best strategy" to win at Catan. There are a multitude of different ways to win, and the best way to go about doing so depends on the layout of the board, which is different every game.

There's a reason it's so popular and has won so many awards.

Buy it -- so long as you have at least 3-4 players available to play it. It's not so much a two player game. Assuming you have the requisite amount of players, I think you'll really enjoy it. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive intrigued by this game for soooooo long.  Is it any good?  I have almost just bought it like 10 times and never did, but I love strategy games

Well, WELL worth it. Its iconic at this point great game.

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

I highly recommend it.

It's so fun because it's very different every time you play it. No two games of Catan ever play out the same way. There is not one "best strategy" to win at Catan. There are a multitude of different ways to win, and the best way to go about doing so depends on the layout of the board, which is different every game.

There's a reason it's so popular and has won so many awards.

Buy it -- so long as you have at least 3-4 players available to play it. It's not so much a two player game. Assuming you have the requisite amount of players, I think you'll really enjoy it. 

game is fantastic. Anyone calling out “nerd’ in this thread is probably too idiotic to grasp the rules. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

4 hours ago, Governor said:

My old neighbor trains and sells pigeons. He gets thousands for them. I think he sells them to drug dealers and they deliver contraband to other states. Something shady going on. Big money for pigeons.

What is the average airspeed velocity of an unladen pigeon?

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Catan, previously known as The Settlers of Catan or simply Settlers, is a multiplayer board game designed by Klaus Teuber. It was first published in 1995 in Germany by Franckh-Kosmos Verlag (Kosmos) as Die Siedler von Catan. Players take on the roles of settlers, each attempting to build and develop holdings while trading and acquiring resources. Players gain points as their settlements grow; the first to reach a set number of points, typically 10, wins. 

------------------

My wife and son play it often. Personally not my thing. I grew up on video games.😄

Atari, Galaga?  You must love the movie Pixels.  I swear Adam Sandler is permanently stuck in the 80’s.

3 hours ago, Putin said:

I think it’s a Japanese sword 

That’s a Catana, or Japanese Samauri Sword.

32 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Atari, Galaga?  You must love the movie Pixels.  I swear Adam Sandler is permanently stuck in the 80’s.

That’s a Catana, or Japanese Samauri Sword.

Big Galaga fan. Also many others like Zaxxon, Vanguard, Tempest. But probably my favorite all time was Robotron. Honestly I thought Pixels sucked by my son liked it a lot. He's more a  Sandler fan than I am although the Waterboy is one of my favorites. Freaking hilarious movie!

10 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Big Galaga fan. Also many others like Zaxxon, Vanguard, Tempest. But probably my favorite all time was Robotron. Honestly I thought Pixels sucked by my son liked it a lot. He's more a  Sandler fan than I am although the Waterboy is one of my favorites. Freaking hilarious movie!

Silly side of me likes Sandler, old Jim Carrey, and Austin Powers still makes me laugh.

The new wise guy funny person is Ryan Reynolds.  My boys and I are going to see Free Guy this weekend.  It’s so damn hot down here (third ring of hell in FL) we look for things to do inside A/C in the summer.  If I were you guys up north, I’d pass on the trip to the Fins game week 2.  Anyone who goes needs to wear sunscreen 1 million spf.

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

game is fantastic. Anyone calling out “nerd’ in this thread is probably too idiotic to grasp the rules. 

Yeah.

There seems to be this whole new wave of "designer games" -- that's a bad name for them, but I'm not sure what else to call them. But they all require more strategy and critical thinking and, in short, they're just very different than the old classics like Monopoly or Life.

Catan, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Betrayal at House on the Hill....there's lots of them.

When friends get together for game night, there's no shortage of fun things to play....although, in the end, I always wind up just wanting to play Euchre 😆. I guess that's the Rochestarian me.

Anyone ever play Axis and Allies?

It is like an advanced version of Risk but a WW2 simulation.

Used to play it a ton back in the day with a group of friends. Sometimes we would have to leave the board and come back to it but it was always a great time even if a long game to get through.

20 hours ago, saundena said:

I tend to collect too, but which drives my wife crazy.  Gloomhaven is terrific, but it's a 4+ hour commitment with our group- chatty wives + booze.  I will buy Frosthaven, but want to beat Gloom first.  I'll also say that the token organizers and 3rd party dashboards, counters, standee's etc make the game so much better from an organization standpoint.

Betrayal is good, never played Dead of Winter.  Over the years, we've also played a lot of Talisman, Pandemic and Dominion.

I used to play a lot of Pandemic. Not a lot recently, though...

Catan was a breakthrough game in that it inspired designers to expand their horizons on what made good board game design. Still a solid game but there are now a shed load of games that are better. 

Booze and games are great. Big risk of playing in pubs is that any playing pieces dropped tend to be highly camouflaged on the various carpet designs pubs use.

(Talisman sucks though...)

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Silly side of me likes Sandler, old Jim Carrey, and Austin Powers still makes me laugh.

The new wise guy funny person is Ryan Reynolds.  My boys and I are going to see Free Guy this weekend.  It’s so damn hot down here (third ring of hell in FL) we look for things to do inside A/C in the summer.  If I were you guys up north, I’d pass on the trip to the Fins game week 2.  Anyone who goes needs to wear sunscreen 1 million spf.

I know what you're saying as far as the heat goes. I'm in St. John's near Jacksonville. Summers are brutal in Florida. I'm originally from the Northeast.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Metal Man said:

Anyone ever play Axis and Allies?

It is like an advanced version of Risk but a WW2 simulation.

Used to play it a ton back in the day with a group of friends. Sometimes we would have to leave the board and come back to it but it was always a great time even if a long game to get through.

Played A & A 1942 this past Saturday, actually! It's pretty "light," but it's a really fun game. For the really serious, there is World in Flames: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_in_Flames. It's a great game, but incredibly complex and a real time commitment. Check out the rule book! https://gamers-hq.de/media/pdf/4a/f9/7c/WiF_CE_RulesBook_8th_Feb_WEB.pdf

• Like (+1) 1